Rangers inquire about AJ

EvilJester99

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
The very least the Sox could offer him would be $5.4M which is likely quite a bit more than he'd be looking at on the open market and if he finishes the year with even mediocre offensive numbers and his people submit a number of $7M up against any figure lower than that submitted by the Sox he'd win in a landslide. A good major league veteran everyday catcher making a reasonable salary is not going to see a salary reduction in arbitration, a slight pay rise would be likely.

The one thing that could help is the fall in the salaries in the middle of the pack due to the recession going on. The argument has to be made for players of similar ilk, and trying to argue that their salary should fit that.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
The one thing that could help is the fall in the salaries in the middle of the pack due to the recession going on. The argument has to be made for players of similar ilk, and trying to argue that their salary should fit that.

The fact remains; even in AJ's worst possible scenario he's still guaranteed $5.4M in arbitration. Last year the 2 highest paid catchers in free agency were a couple of shockers in Jason Kendall and Ivan Rodriguez at 2 years and $6M each so one year, $5.4M at age 34 coming off what's looking to be a pretty bad year at the plate would be one hell of a get for AJ.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 17, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
What type of free agent will he be? If he is a Type A or B that is the caliber of prospect you start with then you determine his value to the other team as well.

He has his shortcomings but he is still a solid catcher that has a world series on his resume. I do not know how he works with pitchers but they seem to be fine with him.

He should get something decent in return, what that is I do not know but I hope it more than when KW has given away guys in the past. I paid big money for my season tickets if they f***ed up the revenue stream too bad I want to get my money's worth and pure salary dumps are BS.

Either get a discussion worhty return or let him play it out and then walk. Same thing with Konerko.

The Elias Rankings right now list AJ as a Type A Free Agent, why I have no idea, but that could all change as the season progresses. And as stated previously by another poster, compensation only occurs if we offer arb and he declines; which he won't.

As much as I love the value AJ gives to our team, I have always had a sneaking suspicion that he dogs it at the plate. At times I can tell he really doesn't try to work a count, the pitches he swings at and how he swings gives off a careless vibe. If i remember correct, he was caught watching a Gators football game during a game they were losing. Now I'm not a big advocate of clubhouse chemistry. I subscribe to the saying that winning brings chemistry, but that is absolutely detrimental to the development of our younger guys. If the veterans don't set the effort, who will? You have to stay hungry, to quote Peavy, "You have to be dirtbag that doesn't quit". I love the intensity he brings, that's a winning mentality. You have to trade/dfa/cut the others that don't share that vision regardless of who you get back. Which I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble we won't get much for AJ. It'll purely be a culture change.

Chris Davis and a low A pitcher for AJ. Lucy and Castro share starts and Flowers makes a September call-up.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:03 PM)
Danks 2 is not even close to being ready IMO. If we bring him up this year, we'll be doing him a huge disservice. He needs to cut down those strikeouts and raise his average in AAA before getting any consideration.

I agree, I think he's the most overrated Sox prospect of the last 5 years. However, the organization seems dedicated to having him on the fast track.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
I agree, I think he's the most overrated Sox prospect of the last 5 years. However, the organization seems dedicated to having him on the fast track.

I'll go with Silverio and Anderson Gomes.

And LOL at Dave Wilder's club BURN in metro Phoenix.

QUOTE (pktmotion' da and te='May 17, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
The Elias Rankings right now list AJ as a Type A Free Agent, why I have no idea

Because the ranking is based on his last 2 full seasons, and over that stretch, he is in the top whatever % of full time catchers. His ranking after the season, going into free agency will be based on his 2009 and 2010 season. He will almost certainly end up at least type B, and if he turns things around over the course of the 80% of the season that remains, he could be type A.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
Could you imagine the complaining about Chris Davis and his strike outs? Between him and Flowers, that would be quite the whiff combo.

He's got some crazy power potential, but like you said, he's Adam Dunn minus the OBP.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 17, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
They wouldn't give us Chris Davis straight up for AJ.

Why not, becuase they're AAA team really needs him? Because they want a guy who can whiff 200 times a year and bat .210. I dont get the love with Chris Davis, he is like a lot of prospects the Sox have had, big power, terrible contact, shady defense at 3B. Maybe we can just get Fields back. I think KW should aim for a low level pitching prospect, they have a few guys that have a high ceiling but haven't really put it together that we could maybe hit the jackpot on. But to add another inept bat to this team doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 17, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
He is a 1B.

He played 3B all through the minors until he reached the majors last year and is playing 3B in AAA again this season. He played 1B because Young had moved the third. If you bring him in to play 1B you are blocking Viciendo with a player that is just as bad as Fields at hitting the baseball. He has no value to this team at 1B.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 17, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
He played 3B all through the minors until he reached the majors last year and is playing 3B in AAA again this season. He played 1B because Young had moved the third. If you bring him in to play 1B you are blocking Viciendo with a player that is just as bad as Fields at hitting the baseball. He has no value to this team at 1B.

Then play him at DH. If you can clear A.J.'s salary and get a guy who has massive power potential from the left-side, i don't see the downside. If it doesn't work out and he continues to k at a bizzare rate, at least you've given Flowers half-a-year of experience behind the plate.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 17, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)

No. When he was drafted, he played LF and 1B sparingly, then got moved to 3B for the next two seasons cause of his power potential. Texas realized he was a butcher down there, so they moved him back to 1B. Then Smoak was drafted, and they loved him at 1B so they tried to move Davis back to 3B cause of Blalock's struggles and his power/bat, only to have that flop again, so now he is basically blocked. For the record I'm not a Davis fan (I prefer Salty over him if given the choice) but I would still take him out of spite. I would think though that the sox would do it for a pitcher at a lower level, and hopefully net a sleeper prospect like a Miguel Velazquez or if you get really lucky... Richie Alvarez.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
Someone once suggested, fire Ozzie and make AJ a player manager.

This team would never get on-base.

"Guys, go up there and swing at EVERYTHING."

"What if i want to take a pitch, AJ? You know, work an at-bat?"

"Then i'll punch you in the f***ing face, Nix. What do you think? Holy crap, man. You're lucky i let you out of your cage. Stop pushing your luck. And go out there and swing like a man, p****."

Edited by Thunderbolt

I still thinkl greg775 was on to something. Trade Ozzie for Piniella. Ozzie can manage in the NL. Lou doesn't have to watch pitchers hit, just guys who hit like pitchers hit. Neither would have to move. Neither would be held accountable if their new team goes nowhere. It could spark both teams.

TIFWIW

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [May 17 at 4:46pm CST]

The White Sox may start dealing players at some point this season, but they aren't looking to start trading yet. GM Ken Williams texted manager Ozzie Guillen to say that he isn't looking to trade any White Sox, according to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times (via Twitter). Guillen relayed that message to his players, many of whom have come up in recent trade rumors (Twitter link).

Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune reported yesterday that the Rangers have inquired on A.J. Pierzynski. Like Mark Buehrle, Pierzynski should see his ten and five rights kick in this June. That would give the players the power to veto trades so Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports suggested this weekend that the White Sox could start trading soon.

Andruw Jones, Paul Konerko and J.J. Putz could all be appealing if the White Sox fall further out of contention. As MLBTR's Howard Megdal explained last week, five teams could have interest in Jones alone. But the White Sox are all staying put for now, as Williams appears content to wait out his club's 15-22 start in hopes of a summer turnaround.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 16, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)
This organization has a nice history of gambling on "busted" top prospects. I see no use in changing that willingess to take chances.

Plus, what the hell else are you going to get for AJ? To save the remainder of his salary this year and avoid problems with the 10/5 issue, I'd give him to anyone who would have him.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
Plus, what the hell else are you going to get for AJ? To save the remainder of his salary this year and avoid problems with the 10/5 issue, I'd give him to anyone who would have him.

Pretty much. Unless the Sox go on a tear or there's some evidence that AJ will net us high draft picks, there isn't a much of a reason to keep him on the roster for the remainder of the year.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 17, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
This team would never get on-base.

"Guys, go up there and swing at EVERYTHING."

"What if i want to take a pitch, AJ? You know, work an at-bat?"

"Then i'll punch you in the f***ing face, Nix. What do you think? Holy crap, man. You're lucky i let you out of your cage. Stop pushing your luck. And go out there and swing like a man, p****."

This is perfect, because Jayson Nix would be the one to get yelled at for being too patient...

Or Mark Teahen, except Teahen usually strikes out on full counts.