NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
24 ppg and 10 rebounds per game, those are "Best player on a championship team" sort of numbers. Better scoring rate than Howard, for example. His PER was 4th in the NBA, better than Duncan or Howard. The only 3 better than him were James, Wade, and Durant.

You're not going to win with just him, but you put him on a team with 2 other possible all-stars like Rose and Noah, with good depth like Deng, Hinrich, and hopefully some other SG behind him, and yeah, he could easily be the best player on a championship level team.

And at times he's been a well above average defender. Last year was not one of those times though. I think Bosh would be a great get if LBJ stays. If LBJ goes anywhere but Chicago or Cleveland, I'd be pissed. But if LBJ stays, I want Bosh over anyone else.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)
The knock on Bosh has always been his defensive ability IIRC. But putting Noah next to him seems like a pretty good solution I'd say.

He was a stud defensively during international play. I think the big problem is Toronto runs a system that doesn't allow you to do much anything defensively.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)
And at times he's been a well above average defender. Last year was not one of those times though. I think Bosh would be a great get if LBJ stays. If LBJ goes anywhere but Chicago or Cleveland, I'd be pissed. But if LBJ stays, I want Bosh over anyone else.

I agree with all of this 100%.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
He was a stud defensively during international play. I think the big problem is Toronto runs a system that doesn't allow you to do much anything defensively.

Yeah that's probably true, although PHX showed with Alvin Gentry that you can play a fast paced system and a little defense also.

But he's not surrounded by much good defensive talent in TOR, and if he went to Chicago he'd looked a lot better defensively straight away playing in Thibodeau's system.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
Yeah that's probably true, although PHX showed with Alvin Gentry that you can play a fast paced system and a little defense also.

But he's not surrounded by much good defensive talent in TOR, and if he went to Chicago he'd looked a lot better defensively straight away playing in Thibodeau's system.

Having that PER despite not having truly dominant scoring or rebound numbers certainly argues to me that he's likely a very good defender even in Toronto's system.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
Honestly, I expect LeBron, DWade, Nowitzki, Joe Johnson, Ray Allen, and David Lee to stay with their same teams.

I seriously doubt Joe Johnson winds up in Atlanta. There's every indication they're in cost-cutting mode.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
Honestly, I expect LeBron, DWade, Nowitzki, Joe Johnson, Ray Allen, and David Lee to stay with their same teams.

He criticized the Hawks fans and front office and was heavily booed in the playoffs. I'll be beyond shocked if Johnson stayed in Atlanta. (same with Boozer in Utah) If Lee stays with NY, they will only have room to sign one max FA also. I think they would rather have Bosh and persuade LeBron/Wade to come with him.

I've said it before too, I would LOVE Lee if worst comes to worst (with a LeBron/Wade of course). Put he and Rose in Thibo's defensive camp and he could be a stud with his work ethic. (he's made a Noah-like progression in improvement in a TON of areas in his game) It will be interesting though to see him as a third-type option on a contending team since he was pretty much the guy in NY.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
I've said it before too, I would LOVE Lee if worst comes to worst (with a LeBron/Wade of course). Put he and Rose in Thibo's defensive camp and he could be a stud with his work ethic. (he's made a Noah-like progression in improvement in a TON of areas in his game) It will be interesting though to see him as a third-type option on a contending team since he was pretty much the guy in NY.

No thank you. Paying $14 mil a year (or more) for a guy that would probably average 14-9 outside of D'Antoni's offensive system doesn't sound appealing at all.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)

Sums up my feelings exactly.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
No thank you. Paying $14 mil a year (or more) for a guy that would probably average 14-9 outside of D'Antoni's offensive system doesn't sound appealing at all.

It'd be a horrible scenario. It'd be the same as DET spending big money on Gordon and Villanueva just to spend it. Keep it and wait for a deadline deal or next summer.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)

14 mil wouldn't work anyways if you add a LeBron. I was saying more or less around 10 mil or so. That dude works his ass off every year in any area he is weak at. Depends also on Hinrich and what we do with him. (which you have to assume Deng would be gone in a certain scenario) Wouldn't be bad at all in my eyes, but like I said... if worst comes to worst.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
14 mil wouldn't work anyways if you add a LeBron. I was saying more or less around 10 mil or so. That dude works his ass off every year in any area he is weak at. Depends also on Hinrich and what we do with him. (which you have to assume Deng would be gone in a certain scenario)

You're not getting Lee for $10 mil, so it's a moot point.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Kobe 5 rings. Lebron 0. This is our only hope. That he's insanely jealous of Kobe's success and realizes that a #2 man the caliber of Rose and a Rodman-like rebounder/defender/enforcer like Noah immediately puts him in the best position to win a title in 2011.

Kobe has also been in the league a lot longer than LeBron, and has had guys like Shaq in his prime and Pau Gasol and Phil Jackson.. Kobe was straight trash before Gasol got there.. If you put LeBron in a situation where he has a Shaq or Gasol or just someone to help him out, you will see a difference..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:53 AM)
Kobe has also been in the league a lot longer than LeBron, and has had guys like Shaq in his prime and Pau Gasol and Phil Jackson.. Kobe was straight trash before Gasol got there.. If you put LeBron in a situation where he has a Shaq or Gasol or just someone to help him out, you will see a difference..

You mean Shaq few years ago correct? Because Shaq just played the whole season with LeBron as a Cavalier :)

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:53 AM)

That's kinda my point. Lebron, like Kobe, needs legitimate help. He's not going to get that in Cleveland unless something drastic happens (kinda like the Lakers getting Gasol for a dirty diaper).

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 03:24 AM)
You mean Shaq few years ago correct? Because Shaq just played the whole season with LeBron as a Cavalier :)

There is a reason why I said "Shaq in his prime"

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 07:42 PM)
You're not getting Lee for $10 mil, so it's a moot point.

I could see him potentially getting caught in that nether-world where no one wants to pay him a big salary because of the looming lockout and cap decrease, and thus being forced to take what he can get.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Kobe 5 rings. Lebron 0. This is our only hope. That he's insanely jealous of Kobe's success and realizes that a #2 man the caliber of Rose and a Rodman-like rebounder/defender/enforcer like Noah immediately puts him in the best position to win a title in 2011.

Oh boy are we greatly overrating Noah. I like the kid, but Rodman was on his own planet.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
Oh boy are we greatly overrating Noah. I like the kid, but Rodman was on his own planet.

Noah has a height advantage over him and probably an overall athleticism advantage over him, but yeah, Rodman...yeah. 18.7 and 18.3 rebounds/game in his 2 best seasons.

Man that team was ridiculous.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
Noah has a height advantage over him and probably an overall athleticism advantage over him, but yeah, Rodman...yeah. 18.7 and 18.3 rebounds/game in his 2 best seasons.

Man that team was ridiculous.

Rodman definitely had an athleticism edge on Noah.... a big one. He was a beast.