NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
Wojo updated his story on Wade, says he isn't ready to say yes to the Bulls yet.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiTe...bronbulls072010

Chicago Bulls executives pressed Dwyane Wade for a commitment on Friday afternoon, but the star free-agent guard wasn’t ready to make such a leap to leave the ami Heat, a source told Yahoo! Sports. The Bulls were pushing for a commitment to arm them in a meeting set for Saturday with LeBron James in Cleveland. Officials will now try to work over James on constructing an All-Star free-agent alliance in Chicago.

The Bulls and Wade met for a second time on Friday and talked deeper about what it would take to sway Wade back to his hometown. Chris Bosh(notes) joined Wade and the Bulls for part of the meeting in the office of agent Henry Thomas, who represents both players. There are scenarios where the Bulls could try to work an arrangement for all three players to join them – presumably engineering a sign-and-trade with Toronto for Bosh – but the most likely partnership would come with Wade and James or Wade and Bosh.

Credit to the Bulls for making that push with Wade tonight, there was nothing to be loss by it and I bet they are making the same push with Bosh right now.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
No way...Rose will never be the scorer Wade is...I like Rose, but Dwayne Wade he is not.

And obviously I know they are different players...they obviously play different guard positions...but in the final 5 minutes of a game, I'll take Wade all day over Rose.

The question in 2-3 years is going to be...how good has DR1 become at defense now that he has a coach who deserves to coach above high school, and how good does DR1 become at the 3 ball.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
I'm pretty much a idiot when it comes to NBA salary cap rules......with Bosh being a sign and trade, does he count against the cap? If JR is willing to pay a luxury tax, how does that fit in with obtaining the "trifecta"?

All salaries count against the cap. The luxury tax is a totally different number and issue. There are some ways to get around the cap, but none of them allow you to go over it to sign other teams' free agents.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 07:51 PM)
All salaries count against the cap. The luxury tax is a totally different number and issue. There are some ways to get around the cap, but none of them allow you to go over it to sign other teams' free agents.

Thanks.

So why are several sources reporting that all 3 could end up in Chicago while retaining DRose and Noah?

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
Seriously? Rose is great but this is like asking if you would trade a dollar for a million, bazillion, trajillion dollars.

With no cap, there's no question who you'd rather have. With a cap, the Bulls would be better keeping Rose and other better-than-minimum-salary guys.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)
The only way you could have enough cap space to sign three max guys is to completely clear your roster. Three max players is just barely under the salary cap, so keeping anyone on the roster would make it impossible.

There's no way the Bulls could get all three, it'd only be two of them.

Exactly. You can't get all 3 with anyone on your roster. That said, there has to be a 0% chance the Bulls trade Rose.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
Thanks.

So why are several sources reporting that all 3 could end up in Chicago while retaining DRose and Noah?

Because all 3 of them or one of them would have to take a pay cut.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)
For Lebron it's either the Bulls or Cavs with the Nets as a wildcard.

Lebron is an idiot if he returns to Cleveland. The entire point of refusing to sign an extension with Cleveland was to explore his options, and it's obvious better options are out there (Bulls - winning, Nets - money). I just can't imagine him saying, "i decided after looking around that Cleveland is my best fit." Cleveland wont be any better situated to defeat the Lakers. Or possibly Chicago if they have some combination of Wade/Bosh/Boozer. And ultimately they had seven seasons to win a title.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 06:51 PM)

Somehow everyone seems to think if the Bulls do one S&T, they have room for 3 max contracts. I don't know why, unless it is the Bulls trading Deng/Noah for Bosh as that would give them room for 3 maxs.

But is there an exemption or something the Bulls could get back that than helps them? Or do the Bulls have an exemption already that would help them in a S&T?

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
Thanks.

No one seems to understand the cap. The Bulls don't even have enough to sign two max deals out-right as things stand right now, they're several mil short of that. Sign-and-trade for Bosh and either Wade or Lebron is by far the most sensible/likely scenario.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
How would that Deng deal free up money for this season?

IT would free up another 2 to 3M and give to the BUlls enough money to sign 2 guys outright. It could also be related the Raptors preferring a guy like Pyrzbilla who would be expiring.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 08:56 PM)
Lebron is an idiot if he returns to Cleveland. The entire point of refusing to sign an extension with Cleveland was to explore his options, and it's obvious better options are out there (Bulls - winning, Nets - money). I just can't imagine him saying, "i decided after looking around that Cleveland is my best fit." Cleveland wont be any better situated to defeat the Lakers. Or possibly Chicago if they have some combination of Wade/Bosh/Boozer. And ultimately they had seven seasons to win a title.

OR:

To force Cleveland's hand by making them sweat the possibility of him leaving, and he never truly was going to leave town. This possibly puts more pressure on Cleveland to try and make some moves to bring in some talent to surround him with, and perhaps show him that next year they can put even more talent on the team to contend.

He really really wants to win in Cleveland, but I don't think he'll leave town unless another team absolutely blows him away with an offer, whether it's the Bulls, Nets, Heat.. whoever.

The problem is Cleveland isnt doing anything. They dont really have anyway to improve this year, and he could end up being in the same division as a Rose, Wade, Bosh, Bulls team etc.

If he wants to win and thats what matters, you have to feel Cleveland is in a weak position.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
Deng to the Blazers would leave the Bulls about a million short of two Maxs. This could (and would) be easily remedied by trading James Johnson.

Bulls supposedly can get rid of Johnson with ease so that isn't an issue, so in short, this would put us in position.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
No one seems to understand the cap. The Bulls don't even have enough to sign two max deals out-right as things stand right now, they're several mil short of that. Sign-and-trade for Bosh and either Wade or Lebron is by far the most sensible/likely scenario.

yeah, looks like the Bulls are angling for 2 of 3, the 3 of 3 superstar stuff kind of got shot down when the Miami rumors were out there about how impossible it is to do without them taking less...

I think the Bulls want two max slots open ASAP