NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)
I'm not saying I don't like the coaching hire, but rather they made the hire so quickly due to things WWW was telling them. I also think that Adrian Wojnarowski has been totally played throughout.

I honestly think just about every columnist covering this has been played throughout. As have us, the fans.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
What do you mean? His nickname is "King James," not exactly new

Yeah, I guess so, if thats his nickname I don't know, hes a basketball player, not a rapper, they don't call him King during games, but whatever. It does fit with his dream of being a global icon though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
Yeah, I guess so, if thats his nickname I don't know, hes a basketball player, not a rapper, they don't call him King during games, but whatever. It does fit with his dream of being a global icon though.

Well Jordan was His Airness. I guess it's only lame if he gave that name to himself.

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
the hinrich deal isn't official yet so if pieces don't fall the way the Bulls hope then they can always pull him off it.

Moving Hinrich is fine because we really do need a bigger better-shooting 2-guard.

But moving him and a first round pick for peanuts just to clear salary cap space doesn't help us if we don't need/use the cap space.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
Well Jordan was His Airness. I guess it's only lame if he gave that name to himself.

If thats what your nickname is, thats fine, I get it. Its just calling yourself King to the rest of the world, its just a bit arrogant and lame like you said, but whatever. He is who he is.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
If thats what your nickname is, thats fine, I get it. Its just calling yourself King to the rest of the world, its just a bit arrogant and lame like you said, but whatever. He is who he is.

He's definitely a diva, attention whore, and kind of a twat... but I will happily hold my nose if he comes to Chicago.

This is crazy, I'm getting married this Saturday and have a million things to do, but the only thing on my mind has been NBA free agency, all weekend, non-stop. It's really starting to drive me nuts, but there isn't much I can do........thank God I'll be on a honeymoon all next week.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
He's definitely a diva, attention whore, and kind of a twat... but I will happily hold my nose if he comes to Chicago.

Absolutely. As long as he's in a Bulls jersey, he can have as much attitude or drama off the court as he wants.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 08:19 PM)
This is crazy, I'm getting married this Saturday and have a million things to do, but the only thing on my mind has been NBA free agency, all weekend, non-stop. It's really starting to drive me nuts, but there isn't much I can do........thank God I'll be on a honeymoon all next week.

Well, it sounds like there's an 80-90 pct chance that the Bulls miss out, so go hide from your fiance all week and let that be your area of focus.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
Well, it sounds like there's an 80-90 pct chance that the Bulls miss out, so go hide from your fiance all week and let that be your area of focus.

I'd agree with that percentage on Lebron. But the Bulls are potentially a change of heart on Joakim Noah away from having a great shot at Bosh, and perhaps in doing so could change the mind of Wade. So it's not time to just totally give up yet IMO.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
I'd agree with that percentage on Lebron. But the Bulls are potentially a change of heart on Joakim Noah away from having a great shot at Bosh, and perhaps in doing so could change the mind of Wade. So it's not time to just totally give up yet IMO.

i thought the bulls put their foot down and said they wouldn't give up Noah? or is something out there that i haven't seen?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
Well if WWW caused them to trade Hinrich, at least he is of some use. And I don't think Thibbs was a bad coaching choice either.

I agree. I don't see what's wrong with hiring Thibs.

As for Kirk, it's true that the Bulls gave away him and 1st rounder for cap space that they now won't be able to use. But Kirk was an awful fit for the Bulls...you just can't have that much money invested in your backup PG and he's not a shooting guard. So, they are a worse team without him but maybe they use his salary on someone that's a better fit with Rose.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)

Yeah...it's pretty clear that the Bulls will be lucky if they get Lee or Boozer. Even one of those guys is becoming unlikely the longer the Bulls wait...Bosh and Boozer likely get paired with Lebron and Wade and Lee would pick NJ over the Bulls.

I think we dont have ANY IDEA if its an 80-90 pct of him not coming here. LOL

We dont know or have any idea because no one knows but Lebron. That might be the figure in your own mind from reading tweets but thats not logical IMO.

Broussard is reporting that Cavs will keep Lebron and aim to do a sign and trade for bosh.

Am I being logical in thinking if Lebron and Bosh goes to Cleveland, the most logical destination for Wade is Chicago because no matter who the Heat signs along with Wade would not give them a chance to compete the Cavs or the Magic.

If Wade do come to Chicago, he can help recruit a guy like Boozer or Lee to come here, and That will form a pretty good starting 5 to compete in the east, we may trade Deng and a pick away some point during this process if is a S&T, but we can sign a decent SF with the $$ saved on Deng's contract.

So Bosh and Lebron teaming up could actually be good news for the bulls?

Though the chances of losing both Wade and Boozer due to injuries in some point during the season is probably a lot higher than us winning the championship.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 08:37 PM)
I think we dont have ANY IDEA if its an 80-90 pct of him not coming here. LOL

We dont know or have any idea because no one knows but Lebron. That might be the figure in your own mind from reading tweets but thats not logical IMO.

i just feel a lot like i did around saturday when we were trying to sign damon. It was a ton of favorable news at first and it seemed very likely, but the longer it goes on the less likely i see it as happening.

Kaplan reports that the Bulls have a trade in place to for Luol Deng to Portland for Bayless + Pryzbilla.

Kaplan's actually going on a Portland radio station.

Edited by chw42

NYPost_Berman

Agent Heny Thomas on Bosh/Wade situation: "Coming to a decision has been a bit more difficult than they anticipated.'' 3 minutes ago via web

interesting, supposedly a direct quote from their agent

Very good Sam Smith article today laying out the logic of who may be going where, etc. Here's part of it where he talks about the impact on the Bulls if Lebron chooses to stay in Cleveland.

The larger question as it relates to the Bulls, I think, is the Wade/Bosh axis. Clearly, Wade would like Bosh to accompany him to Miami and they are represented by the same agent and have been friends. Bosh likely wants a sign-and-trade because not only is Bosh no John Kennedy, he’s no Dwyane Wade, meaning five years from now, he may be Juwan Howard. So Bosh likely wants that sixth year in the bank and, thus, the sign-and-trade, which no way he gets to Miami for Michael Beasley.

The fatal flaw in Miami’s grand plan may have been this roster mayhem that’s left the Heat with Beasley and Mario Chalmers and, seemingly, a heck of a long way from competing.

Here’s the rub for the Bulls, though, which may not be as much problem for them as it is for me. I could see Toronto doing a sign-and-trade with the Bulls dealing Bosh for Taj Gibson, three No. 1s and cash. But if you cannot get Wade with Bosh, I wouldn’t want Bosh for all that.

It means you have Bosh for six years as the second highest paid player in franchise history when he’s been associated with not much more than losing. He’s a nice piece, I agree, but if you give up Gibson and three No. 1s, I think you handicap yourself for the future too much. Bosh is a way better offensive player than Gibson, but a far worse defender, and not a pick-and-roll player.

Actually, Carlos Boozer would be better at pick-and-roll and likely wouldn’t cost you Gibson and the firsts. Bosh is better, but I’d rather have Boozer, Gibson and three firsts than Bosh.

But if Bosh can bring you Wade, as they seem to want to play together, then it’s a no-brainer. You do it. But, if Bosh gets that sign-and-trade and sixth year, then he will make more than Wade. The Bulls will then be out of options for sign-and-trades. Sorry, no one is taking Luol Deng in that sort of transaction with four years left on his deal.

Could Wade not only give up the extra $30 plus million dollars by leaving Miami (sixth year salary plus now paying state taxes), but could he also then be second highest paid to Bosh? A few seasons later, Derrick Rose could pass him in salary as well. That’s a lot of ego to swallow when every one of his contemporaries will be playing for max money but him. And he’s Flash!

The best chance for the Bulls to get Wade might be if Bosh got a sign-and-trade to Cleveland, Houston, Dallas, Los Angels or somewhere else other than Miami. Could Pat Riley convince Wade he’s better off with that roster and Boozer?

It would seem then Wade would have given Miami its chance and they came up short, and he’d have to leave. The way he had to carry that team, Wade wouldn’t last two more seasons in the NBA with that roster. Heck, Beasley’s antics probably would send him into retirement in half that time.

If I were the Bulls, I’d love to have Wade and forget the second guy. Give Wade the max of approximately $16.5 million and then spend the rest on building depth. I can live with Gibson at four and pick up a solid veteran backup big man, maybe someone like Brendan Haywood.