NBA Offseason Thread

I think one of the two big points you made there is the minutes. I think the top 3 might have to play even more minutes than that for Miami, and they're all going to get fouled constantly because none of them are really jump shooters (even though they all can hit jump shots). The other is the issues they have inside on defense, and I'm not sure how they'll address those.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
Anyone who says the "Miami Thrice" and crap players would win titles need only look at the 2003-2004 Lakers. 4 hall of famers on that team and they couldn't win. I think Miami will be a really good team with all three, obviously, but it's not guarantee that they'll win a bunch of rings.

You mean the team that won 56 games and lost in the NBA Finals? It's not like they were that far off.

Besides, that's not remotely comparable as Payton and Malone were both well past their prime. Before you or someone else says it, same with the Olajuwon/Barkley/Pippen trio in Houston.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
I think one of the two big points you made there is the minutes. I think the top 3 might have to play even more minutes than that for Miami, and they're all going to get fouled constantly because none of them are really jump shooters (even though they all can hit jump shots). The other is the issues they have inside on defense, and I'm not sure how they'll address those.

Varnado can play defense in the NBA right now

Here's is why LeBron is NOT going to Miami: It's the "hot" rumor on the day of the announcement.

LeBron's decision, if he has made one, is known by a VERY select group of people. The closest of the closest. The group of people who wont leak the final decision. So, how is it that all of a sudden everyone assumes it's Miami? They're fake leaks designed to drum up interest for tonight. There's no way they leak the final destination and take a good portion of the suspense away from tonight. I dont know where he's going.

Could be Chicago. Could be NY. Could be staying in Cleveland. But it isnt Miami.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
It seems like a lot of people have absolutely no idea how good they are, let alone will be. No matter where LeBron goes today and Carmelo goes eventually, OKC will end up with the Larry O'Brien trophy at least once in the coming years. I actually agree with you on some of the Heat draft pieces too. But 2nd round picks could certainly flame out, no matter how good they look on paper.

OKC needs to drastically improve their frontcourt before they can be taken seriously as a legitimate contender. Ibaka/Krstic at center and the undersized Green at the 4 isn't going to cut it. It'd also help if Westbrook improved his shot selection.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
I think one of the two big points you made there is the minutes. I think the top 3 might have to play even more minutes than that for Miami. The other is the issues they have inside on defense, and I'm not sure how they'll address those.

Joel Anthony is a very good defender, he just won't add much offense. Same with Dooling at PG, he is a great defender, but won't need much on offense.

As for the minutes, LeBron already averages 40 minutes a game for his career. Wade averages 38, and Bosh 37. These guys are going to have plenty of games where the back-ups will be able to finish out the games.

Here is my expected roster IF LeBron joins the Heat.

PG: Dooling

SG: Wade

SF: LeBron

PF: Bosh

C: Anthony

Bench, Bell, Haslem, Chalmers, and the 2nd round picks.

That's good enough.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
Joel Anthony is a very good defender, he just won't add much offense. Same with Dooling at PG, he is a great defender, but won't need much on offense.

As for the minutes, LeBron already averages 40 minutes a game for his career. Wade averages 38, and Bosh 37. These guys are going to have plenty of games where the back-ups will be able to finish out the games.

Here is my expected roster IF LeBron joins the Heat.

PG: Dooling

SG: Wade

SF: LeBron

PF: Bosh

C: Anthony

Bench, Bell, Haslem, Chalmers, and the 2nd round picks.

That's good enough.

It's not good enough to beat the Lakers. Even the old farts in Boston will be tough if they don't have body parts fall off before the playoffs.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
OKC needs to drastically improve their frontcourt before they can be taken seriously as a legitimate contender. Ibaka/Krstic at center and the undersized Green at the 4 isn't going to cut it. It'd also help if Westbrook improved his shot selection.

Yeah Green at the 4 is certainly problematic defensively.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)

Thunder just finalized the deal for Aldrich. He will be a major help inside defensively.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
I hope LBJ goes to Miami. It'd be pretty funny for a guy who could have been the best that ever played, go be a glue guy for Wade. I get a lot of enjoyment from that for some reason.

Yeah and im sure hell care about that too when hes looking at his handful of championship rings

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)
Thunder just finalized the deal for Aldrich. He will be a major help inside defensively.

Yeah I don't think he'll be able to score much at all in the NBA, but they won't need him to. I still think they are a defender short in there though, it's their one weakness.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
It's not good enough to beat the Lakers. Even the old farts in Boston will be tough if they don't have body parts fall off before the playoffs.

Why do people keep saying this?

The Lakers struggled against a Boston team who NO ONE gave any credit to here, now all of the sudden its different? If Miami gets LeBron they will be the best team in the league next year.. anyone who disagrees is either a bitter Bulls fan or a moron..

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
Yeah I don't think he'll be able to score much at all in the NBA, but they won't need him to. I still think they are a defender short in there though, it's their one weakness.

Their defense needs to realize it's not all about blocking shots. They tried to block everything vs the Lakers, and it created a ton of easy putbacks, etc.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
I may have missed this in the million pages, but apparently Rose has been calling and texting LBJ.

Where did you hear this?

This is the first report of any contact between Lebron and Rose and also contradicts other reports that Rose wasnt hot on Lebron.

Not saying that its wrong, but if this is true it even gives me more hope that the Bulls are in it to win it. The main reason being that maybe Lebron asked them all to keep their mouth shut, and they are actually listening.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)

I don't think they'll play that many more minutes, people thought it would be an issue in Boston as well. There will be plenty of games against teams like the Warriors or Timberwolves where they won't even have to play the 4th quarter. If I had to guess, Lebron/Wade at the most would average their usual 38 MPG (only with a bit more coasting since neither has to run the offense the entire game anymore) and Bosh would play around 36 like he did this year. They're all getting fouled constantly now, don't really see much of a difference.

Interior defense is definitely a huge issue, but it will matter more in the playoffs than the regular season. I would imagine they'll try to sign guys like Jermaine O'Neal, Theo Ratliff and Udonis Haslem.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
Why do people keep saying this?

The Lakers struggled against a Boston team who NO ONE gave any credit to here, now all of the sudden its different? If Miami gets LeBron they will be the best team in the league next year.. anyone who disagrees is either a bitter Bulls fan or a moron..

That Boston team was fantastic defensively