NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
Guys, if miami gets Lebron, it's not a contest. That team would not lose. You may be able to shut one down in the course of a game, maybe 2, but just one of those guys can win singlehandedly. It's over for the NBA if that happens. MAYBE kobe/gasol can beat them. MAYBE.

Role players won't make or break the Heat.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
Would you rather play for $1.8M in Milwaukee or some other dud city and lose 65 games or play on a title contender for $800K while being televised all the time on national games and perhaps getting more opportunities at local endorsement deals....while playing in South Beach?

And not knowing whether I have a job in the future. I'll take the money. I'll live in South Beach in the off season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
I say this with the utmost respect, you guys are FULL OF s***! You know damn well if we had Bosh/Wade in place with a chance to add Lebron you wouldn't be talking about "OH MY GOOD GOLLY JESUS! WHEREVER WILL WE FIND ROLEPLAYERS!" You'd all be talking about how the only question would be could we match the 6 titles from the 90's. In a little over 8 hours, the NBA title could possibly be spoken for through 2016. Just face it.

If the Bulls had Bosh and Wade on board, LeBron possibly next, and a skeleton roster, I'd be very excited. But I'd be saying the same things I am now, only perhaps even with more concern since it'd be my team and I always worry more about them. That team would be good enough to be right there among the top few contenders to win the title any year they are together, but to just say cancel the games for 6 years is ridiculous.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
You're an idiot (with respect).

Again, no one is claiming (at least i'm not) that they're not a contender. You're making the ridiculous argument that they win a title each year through 2016. One injury and that team is screwed.

One injury and they are screwed?

Has LeBron not won 60+ games the last two years by himself?

If one gets hurt, they go from being a crazy video game team to a really good team.. oh no

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
Would you rather play for $1.8M in Milwaukee or some other dud city and lose 65 games or play on a title contender for $800K while being televised all the time on national games and perhaps getting more opportunities at local endorsement deals....while playing in South Beach?

I guess I need some examples of guys that would do this. Most good to decent players are young enough that they need to max out how much they make, especially since in a year they might earn zero. I can't think of too many veterans that would take a million or two less to be a role player (and be good enough to help the team win) for one year.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
Rose/Deng/Boozer/Noah > Wade/Bosh/Chalmers/Beasley

I don't really see how you can say that when the two best players in the equation are on the other side. Deng and Beasley are both talented forwards that most seem to want to give away for free, so they kind of cancel out. Does Noah's defense/rebounding make up ALL of the difference between the caliber of the two stars? Hard to say.

I would say it depends on who else signs. If they Heat got Haywood or some other defensive center, then I'd say they're better than the Bulls since Noah is the only edge you can really argue that Chicago has right now.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
These role players and bench players don't make s*** over the course of their careers compared to starters. I find it VERY hard to believe there will be a lot of players who give up millions (who pretty much go year to year contract wise) just to play with the trio.

Seriously, this is a non-issue. The Heat have 5 second round picks to fill out the roster, and have had good indications that Keyon Dooling and Raja Bell will join for cheap. The only issue will be moving Beasley at the moment, but it's not going to be too hard to move a 21 year old that averaged 15 and 6 and is making 5M.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:46 AM)
And not knowing whether I have a job in the future. I'll take the money. I'll live in South Beach in the off season.

As hard as this is to believe, some people really would give up some money to win a Championship

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
One injury and they are screwed?

Has LeBron not won 60+ games the last two years by himself?

If one gets hurt, they go from being a crazy video game team to a really good team.. oh no

Yeah, and he's won how many titles? And been to how many finals? One?

I'm not the one arguing that the league is over for the next 6 years. They'd be a contender, sure. But no guarantee.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:46 AM)
Guys, if miami gets Lebron, it's not a contest. That team would not lose. You may be able to shut one down in the course of a game, maybe 2, but just one of those guys can win singlehandedly. It's over for the NBA if that happens. MAYBE kobe/gasol can beat them. MAYBE.

edit: would not lose a 7 game series

They still prob win 60-70 games each year which is f***ing domination. Anyoone saying anything else is in denial. Bron by himself makes a team a contender, let alone a good PF and one of the best players in the NBA.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
Wouldn't they get one if they went over the cap? The Heat that is.

No, its awarded to you when the moratorium is over. The Heat are under the cap. They have no MLE this year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
They still prob win 60-70 games each year which is f***ing domination. Anyoone saying anything else is in denial. Bron by himself makes a team a contender, let alone a good PF and one of the best players in the NBA.

That team would never win 70 games so get that out of your head.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)

I agree with the regular season projection (although 70 would be a bit of a pipedream when you have no depth, so maybe on the lower end of your projection). The playoffs are just a very different game though, which is why I say if they are together 5 years, I guess they get about 2 rings.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
Yeah, and he's won how many titles? And been to how many finals? One?

I'm not the one arguing that the league is over for the next 6 years. They'd be a contender, sure. But no guarantee.

Hes won no titles because hes been ALONE.. that's the point here, he wont be alone he will be with Wade and Bosh..

LeBron by himself is good enough for 60+ wins.. now add Wade and Bosh to that team..