NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
when was the last time a team features a SG and a SF who can average 5 assists per game? I dont think the heats would need a starting point guard next season, they would need a three point shooter. Probably like Kyle Korver or JJ Reddick. They will probably operate without a starting point guard next year.

Mario Chalmers doesn't count as a PG?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 03:44 AM)
You do realize that Magic played with 2 other HOF players pretty much his entire career don't you? Didn't hurt Magic or Larry Bird playing with a ton of other HOF players. They were clearly the best players on the floor. Some nights Kareem would take over, or McHale, or Parrish or Worthy etc etc. These arguments are absurd. Michael wouldn't have won s*** without Scottie. There's no reason LeBron won't be the best player on the floor most nights.

I agree, but you have to remember you're talking with a lot of Bulls fans right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
You can sign as many minimum contracts as you want, and they can potentially clear space by trading Beasley for people. They could also potentially get a trade exemption if they did so.

I think the point Broussard makes is valid...they are going to make other players so much better than they ordinarily will be. They will piece together a decent roster and they will dominate during the regular season. The question is whether they can hold up through a grueling long playoff process.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
You do realize that Magic played with 2 other HOF players pretty much his entire career don't you? Didn't hurt Magic or Larry Bird playing with a ton of other HOF players. They were clearly the best players on the floor. Some nights Kareem would take over, or McHale, or Parrish or Worthy etc etc. These arguments are absurd. Michael wouldn't have won s*** without Scottie. There's no reason LeBron won't be the best player on the floor most nights.

Magic and Bird didn't have to bolt to another city with multiple stars (one who already has a ring). No comparison.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)

But you know why that worked? Because there was an equal. There was another competitor team that had an equal shot at it. Even with the Bulls, outside of the 96 season, the Bulls had challenges every year too.

yeah, I'm well aware of who Magic played with and of course no one guy can win an NBA title by themselves, they need at least one great/HOF caliber player around them with a good supporting cast. I am talking more about overall perception and it's already out there, many people are going to think he had to run to a team with two other superstars to try and win titles.

Your point is very valid, but the difference is that Bird and Magic did not choose those situations because they failed elsewhere.

Additionally, those teams developed into legendary teams together. They were not all-stars from other teams who chose to unit together because they failed elsewhere previously.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
Your point is very valid, but the difference is that Bird and Magic did not choose those situations because they failed elsewhere.

Additionally, those teams developed into legendary teams together. They were not all-stars from other teams who chose to unit together because they failed elsewhere previously.

Magic and Bird didn't fail elsewhere because they were surrounded by great players their whole careers. I don't get why that should hurt LeBron's legacy because he got stuck on a team with a bunch of bums. If Cleveland had given Lebron a good supporting cast he almost certainly would have never left.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
I agree, but you have to remember you're talking with a lot of Bulls fans right now.

Other than the 5 Heat fans in the world, who would disagree with the notion that Lebron is piggybacking? He got swept in 2007. He couldn't even get to the finals despite the top record and homecourt the last two years. Who cares if he wins a ring with Dwayne f***ing Wade and Chris Bosh as his three man?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)

And even then...if you go by the PER number, the 1, 2, and 4 guys in the NBA just decided that they wanted to play together.

In the Magic/Bird case...well, I'm not sure who was #1 and who was #2...but one of them was in Boston and one was in LA. So you had a legit rivalry.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
Magic and Bird didn't fail elsewhere because they were surrounded by great players their whole careers. I don't get why that should hurt LeBron's legacy because he got stuck on a team with a bunch of bums. If Cleveland had given Lebron a good supporting cast he almost certainly would have never left.

Or maybe if Lebron hadn't shot 30% in the 2007 finals or quit in game 5 against Boston they could've won?

Magic and Bird didn't fail elsewhere because they were surrounded by great players their whole careers. If Cleveland had given Lebron a good supporting cast he almost certainly would have never left.

I'm arguing perception here, and it's already started... to call my arguments "absurd" like palehouse chose to doesn't make sense when there's a lot of pundits and the public out there already writing/saying similar things... perception is reality and a lot of people are going to see him bolting to a team with two other names to try and win a championship.

Or maybe he would have stayed with them and developed those players into great players.

LeBron did have some pretty decent players on his teams.....it wasn't LeBron and a bunch of bums for 7 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
Mario Chalmers doesn't count as a PG?

chalmers will be there, but he won't get any handles, nor any other starting PG for that matter. Since lebron and wade aren't terrific three point shooters, why not put a sharp shooter in the starting 5 if that is the case. chalmers is only decent at best.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
I'm arguing perception here, and it's already started... to call my arguments "absurd" like palehouse chose to doesn't make sense when there's a lot of pundits and the public out there already writing/saying similar things... perception is reality and a lot of people are going to see him bolting to a team with two other names to try and win a championship.

It's possible to have a different perception?

Didn't he come out and say exactly "I'm doing this to win a championship"?

You can quibble with his methods, but from his own mouth, that's exactly what he's doing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)

Am I a Bulls fan? Yes I am, but I am also a person who can be objective and look at things through my unclouded eyes and also hear and read what others are saying

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)

And were McHale or Worthy ever considered top 5 players in the league at any point in their careers? lol. Kareem averaged like 12 ppg when the Lakers won in '88. Terrible comparison.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
It's possible to have a different perception?

Didn't he come out and say exactly "I'm doing this to win a championship"?

You can quibble with his methods, but from his own mouth, that's exactly what he's doing.

yes, many people can have many different perspectives, and I see the argument of him going to win championships, but also I hear and read what a lot of other people are saying, my main argument is this hurt his chances with a portion of the public to be amongst the all time greats

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 03:55 AM)
Am I a Bulls fan? Yes I am, but I am also a person who can be objective and look at things through my unclouded eyes and also hear and read what others are saying

I'm just saying that people are so quick to say Jordan is Greatest of All Time, but if LeBron goes out and wins 10 rings, then maybe he would deserve it.

The league has been going down the drain for awhile now. The entire culture has changed. It is not even entertaining anymore. It is dunks and 3 pointers, just like ghetto ball.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
ESPN RADIO in Florida has Shaq to Miami for the MIN. The NBA is going to have to change. This is a debacle.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
good, Shaq is terrible now and just clogs up the middle. A big man with range, like what you saw with R. Wallace last year, would have been a better fit.

Bah, all they need him to do is block shots and rebound.

We as a people create reality.

I wanted Lebron to be the greatest, I wanted him to beat Kobe and all that jazz.

But he failed my vision of who I thought he was. And so Lebron will never be what I thought he could be, and I will stop stumping for him.

1) MJ

2) Magic

Thats how it says, Lebron had a shot at those names, but he passed.