NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 11:41 PM)
I'd love for there to be tampering...

The Joe Smith T-Wolves cost was 3 first rounders and the last year of his contract voided.

So in theory, it would cost the Heat 6 first rounders and a year off the contracts of Bosh and James. That would be hilariously awesome, especially since they essentially gave all their picks to the Raptors and Cavs.

So would it actually be 2 less years?

Losing the picks prevents them from being able to do S&T deals, which means the deals ended up all being 5 year deals, so than you have to pull the 1 year deal on that?

I'd say 6 picks and pushing the contracts to 4 years would be pretty worthy, as well as preventing use of the MLE :)

A man can dream, can't he?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
So would it actually be 2 less years?

Losing the picks prevents them from being able to do S&T deals, which means the deals ended up all being 5 year deals, so than you have to pull the 1 year deal on that?

I'd say 6 picks and pushing the contracts to 4 years would be pretty worthy, as well as preventing use of the MLE :)

A man can dream, can't he?

Wondering out loud here... the NBA might want to contact Wes Wesley. I'm sure he's a bit pissed at being pushed out of the inner circle and might be willing to talk.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 08:42 AM)
We had this discussion a few days ago with poeple saying that whatever the basketball version of WAR was said that the Heat weren't yet a 50 win team with these 3 guys. Here's a roundup of the various other models, click through to this link to see the full set of links.

I saw that analysis before...and I agree completely. I think the Heat will obliterate the Bulls win record this season. It's bizarre how people are underrating just how great this team will be. The Tribune's round-up of basketball writers had only one out of five predicting a championship for the Heat next season. That's crazy. I think the Heat will be historically good.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
I saw that analysis before...and I agree completely. I think the Heat will obliterate the Bulls win record this season. It's bizarre how people are underrating just how great this team will be. The Tribune's round-up of basketball writers had only one out of five predicting a championship for the Heat next season. That's crazy. I think the Heat will be historically good.

Personally, I don't think it will happen. The team is looking like if it does have any depth that it won't be good depth. The chances of all 3 playing 82 games (as stated in another post from someone forecasting) is slim to no f'ing chance with the minutes it looks like they will be playing. The Bulls had great players but also had outstanding depth and a ridiculous defense which the Heat will not have

But hey, that's just me

Edited by Chi Town Sox

Anyone catch last night's Sunday Conversation? Rachel Nichols asked LBJ if he had talked to the Cavs before announcing The Decision. He said no, he hadn't spoken to them, but then he hadn't spoken to anyone about it. The whole process was really difficult for him, and he wanted Thursday "to be about me."

You can't make this s*** up.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
Personally, I don't think it will happen. The team is looking like if it does have any depth that it won't be good depth. The chances of all 3 playing 82 games (as stated in another post from someone forecasting) is slim to no f'ing chance with the minutes it looks like they will be playing. The Bulls had great players but also had outstanding depth and a ridiculous defense which the Heat will not have

But hey, that's just me

As I said when we first broached the subject...I think the only thing that would prevent them from 70 is the fact that they don't have anyone to push them past 60 wins. Esp. with Kobe's finger and Bynum's knee, the Magic aren't going to push well past 60, the Lakers won't, the Celtics won't, the Bulls won't, the Hawks won't. They'll have home court wrapped up by 70 or so games left, and I think they'll probably default to resting their guys for 10+ games rather than pushing for 70. Or at least I guess I hope so.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
Anyone catch last night's Sunday Conversation? Rachel Nichols asked LBJ if he had talked to the Cavs before announcing The Decision. He said no, he hadn't spoken to them, but then he hadn't spoken to anyone about it. The whole process was really difficult for him, and he wanted Thursday "to be about me."

You can't make this s*** up.

Wow, he is something else. I still can't believe he couldn't call someone in the Cavs organization at 7:59 PM, and tell them what his decision was. No, they have to wait til the rest of the country finds out. I don't agree with the way Gilbert released the letter, but I completely understand.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
As I said when we first broached the subject...I think the only thing that would prevent them from 70 is the fact that they don't have anyone to push them past 60 wins. Esp. with Kobe's finger and Bynum's knee, the Magic aren't going to push well past 60, the Lakers won't, the Celtics won't, the Bulls won't, the Hawks won't. They'll have home court wrapped up by 70 or so games left, and I think they'll probably default to resting their guys for 10+ games rather than pushing for 70. Or at least I guess I hope so.

I have two concerns for that team which makes me hesitant to believe that they're outright favorites to win the title or even favored to win 70+ games:

(1) how long will it take for them to figure out the best way to play together, and how exactly are they going to play? As much as the NBA is about superstars, it's not streetball. There's still a team aspect to the game, which is one reason Lebron's teams haven’t won. A spread em out and let one guy try and dominate doesn't work. The main 3 are going to have to figure out who's going to take the shots and how many they get. People seem to think that'll be easy, but at least with Wade and Lebron, that's not how they've played the last 6 years.

And really this is the main reason why I don't think you can say Lebron + s***ty team = 60 wins, therefore Lebron plus 2 other guys = 82 wins. Lebron's game is to drive and get hacked or drive and get fouled. It's that 1 on 5 mentality. Same with Wade. None of these guys are deadly shooters. So I guess I just don't see the automatic greatness here. Their games don't really complement each other (a point Rick Barry has been advocating for a week now). The Bulls 72 win team had greatness in different areas - MJ was all around offense, Pippen was lock down defender and a guy that could finish around the rim, Rodman gave you the rebounding and garbage buckets, and Kukoc/Kerr/Harper were the shooters. You could beat them in one aspect of the game, and they’d adjust and beat you in another. That’s why they were nearly unbeatable. So far on Miami you've got two all around great offensive players, and one really good perimeter big guy. You don’t have the rebounding, you don’t have the interior presence (at all, we’ll see who they end up with) and they don’t have any shooters. This could all change in a few weeks as he fills out the roster, but I’m just not seeing anyone out there that’s going to be on those same levels. I see two guys that have the same game and a perimeter-oriented big man. I still think they’re missing some pieces.

(2) Who plays defense? So they score 100 a night, but what happens when they go up against teams that have solid offenses that can also score? Bosh is weak, and neither Lebron or Wade are lock-down defenders.

I dunno, is it possible? Sure. But I think they still have a lot of questions to answer. I think it’ll be a great experiment for the future – can you amass lots of talent, even if it’s the same type of talent, and still win? Or is there a formula of championship teams that require you to have greatness in all aspects of the game?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
I have two concerns for that team which makes me hesitant to believe that they're outright favorites to win the title or even favored to win 70+ games:

(1) how long will it take for them to figure out the best way to play together, and how exactly are they going to play? As much as the NBA is about superstars, it's not streetball. There's still a team aspect to the game, which is one reason Lebron's teams haven’t won. A spread em out and let one guy try and dominate doesn't work. The main 3 are going to have to figure out who's going to take the shots and how many they get. People seem to think that'll be easy, but at least with Wade and Lebron, that's not how they've played the last 6 years.

And really this is the main reason why I don't think you can say Lebron + s***ty team = 60 wins, therefore Lebron plus 2 other guys = 82 wins. Lebron's game is to drive and get hacked or drive and get fouled. It's that 1 on 5 mentality. Same with Wade. None of these guys are deadly shooters. So I guess I just don't see the automatic greatness here. Their games don't really complement each other (a point Rick Barry has been advocating for a week now). The Bulls 72 win team had greatness in different areas - MJ was all around offense, Pippen was lock down defender and a guy that could finish around the rim, Rodman gave you the rebounding and garbage buckets, and Kukoc/Kerr/Harper were the shooters. You could beat them in one aspect of the game, and they’d adjust and beat you in another. That’s why they were nearly unbeatable. So far on Miami you've got two all around great offensive players, and one really good perimeter big guy. You don’t have the rebounding, you don’t have the interior presence (at all, we’ll see who they end up with) and they don’t have any shooters. This could all change in a few weeks as he fills out the roster, but I’m just not seeing anyone out there that’s going to be on those same levels. I see two guys that have the same game and a perimeter-oriented big man. I still think they’re missing some pieces.

(2) Who plays defense? So they score 100 a night, but what happens when they go up against teams that have solid offenses that can also score? Bosh is weak, and neither Lebron or Wade are lock-down defenders.

I dunno, is it possible? Sure. But I think they still have a lot of questions to answer. I think it’ll be a great experiment for the future – can you amass lots of talent, even if it’s the same type of talent, and still win? Or is there a formula of championship teams that require you to have greatness in all aspects of the game?

Wade and LeBron have turned themselves into very good defenders. They will have the defensive advantage at SG and SF on most teams they play outside of LA. Mike Miller is a fantastic shooter and good rebounder as well off the bench. With Bosh, LeBron, Wade, Mike Miller, and Joel Anthony, rebounding won't be an issue unless someone like Oden, Howard, Noah, Gasol etc are roaming the paint.

As for shooting, you have Miller, LeBron, Chalmers, and potential FA's like Bell, Stackhouse, Richardson, Jason Williams, Keyon Dooling etc.

This team will win 60+ games, but will have struggles with Orlando's style, Boston's defense, and the Lakers/Blazers frontline.

However, the Heat must sign a defensive PG like Dooling. Having LeBron or Wade guard PG's like Rose and Rondo is just stupid and a waste.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
Wade and LeBron have turned themselves into very good defenders. They will have the defensive advantage at SG and SF on most teams they play outside of LA. Mike Miller is a fantastic shooter and good rebounder as well off the bench. With Bosh, LeBron, Wade, Mike Miller, and Joel Anthony, rebounding won't be an issue unless someone like Oden, Howard, Noah, Gasol etc are roaming the paint.

As for shooting, you have Miller, LeBron, Chalmers, and potential FA's like Bell, Stackhouse, Richardson, Jason Williams, Keyon Dooling etc.

This team will win 60+ games, but will have struggles with Orlando's style, Boston's defense, and the Lakers/Blazers frontline.

However, the Heat must sign a defensive PG like Dooling. Having LeBron or Wade guard PG's like Rose and Rondo is just stupid and a waste.

They have gotten a little better but are NOT very good, everyone thinks LBJ is good because he has highlight real blocks when it all reality, he is below average on the ball. Wade is a gambler and can look like a defensive stopper at some points and just look like a fool at others.

Little blurb here;

The Celtics and Bulls have shown "serious interest" in free agent Josh Howard, according to Yahoo! Sports.

Howard has yet to receive a contract offer (the Celtics would need to arrange a sign-and-trade) and may also be re-signed by the Wizards.He remains ahead of schedule in his recovery from a torn ACL, but isn't likely to start playing until September at the earliest.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
They have gotten a little better but are NOT very good, everyone thinks LBJ is good because he has highlight real blocks when it all reality, he is below average on the ball. Wade is a gambler and can look like a defensive stopper at some points and just look like a fool at others.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/articl...p?articleid=918

Both have become very good defenders. Especially LeBron.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
One Magic reporter felt that the Magic will not match on Reddick due to the luxury tax implications. The Magic would be paying Reddick practically 38M (19 to Reddick and 19 to the NBA) due to those implications.

Here's a good take on the situation by the best Magic blog out there in Orlando Pinstriped Post;

The market has decided to pay him an average annual salary of $6.33 million, which is rich--above the mid-level exception--but not too rich, and Smith's only choice here is to match. Orlando has just $2.515 million of the mid-level exception remaining after signing point guard Chris Duhon earlier this week, which won't be nearly enough money to entice an equivalent player to Redick. Orlando has the opportunity to lock Redick up for three years at a fairly reasonable price, and would be foolish to turn that opportunity down.

Though wing players are inexpensive by NBA standards--the hardest positions to fill are center and power forward--Redick's shooting stroke makes him unique. In fact, he was the most efficient offensive player in the entire league last season. And without Redick in the fold, Orlando's only wing players under contract will be Vince Carter and Mickael Pietrus.

I think we'll match, and then dump Gortat for picks plus a trade exception possibly.

LeBron James booed at Carmelo Anthony's wedding

[LeBron] James was greeted by a round of loud boos from angry New Yorkers outside the wedding in Cipriani 42nd Street when he arrived with his girlfriend Savannah Brinson, myFOXny.com reported.

Of course, if those same classy Knick fans had stuck around a little longer, they might have got some good news. According to the New York Post's Marc Berman, attendee Chris Paul(notes) made a pretty interesting speech at the ceremony.

During Carmelo Anthony's wedding Saturday night at Cipriani's on 42nd Street, Chris Paul, the superstar New Orleans point guard, predicted a future Knicks Dream Team. [...]

According to a person who spoke with wedding attendee Amar'e Stoudemire(notes), Paul made the reference during a speech of a potential union of himself, Stoudemire and Anthony, saying, "We'll form our own Big 3," Paul allegedly said.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
Here's a good take on the situation by the best Magic blog out there in Orlando Pinstriped Post;

I think we'll match, and then dump Gortat for picks plus a trade exception possibly.

I wonder if the Bulls will cut a deal to let the Magic not offer and bring him to Chicago. Might make some sense.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
Little blurb here;

He won't play until mid-season with his ACL injury. But if he can be had for the cheap, it would be a nice move. He can play the 2 as well as the 3.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
i won't take this fantastic fit for our team because you went to a college I don't like.

LOL, Illini fans are all about that. "He went to Duke or Kansas??? Ugh, I don't want him on my team" I'd take Bill Self as coach of the Bulls if he can win an NBA title.