NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
ESPN is saying all signs are leaning towards Carmello leaving the nuggets....any chance the bulls try to trade for him?

Sure. What would the Bulls have that matches up contract-wise is the question.

If the Nuggets would be interested in Deng (or, um, Boozer), they could pull something off. Otherwise, the Bulls have no way to match another team's max salary player.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
What could the Bulls offer?

They'd have to include Noah as a minimum, and still include enough salary to make the trade work.

Deng for sure (he might have his flaws, but he is still young and puts up solid numbers) + Taj/Noah probably + maybe picks (I'd give them both Charlotte and ours). That still might not be enough though. I'd give them anyone but Rose to get Melo basically. Not getting my hopes up even alittle on it though. New York would have to offer Gallo and Chandler for sure +. (they really do not have much and all their picks are gone) Melo is NY bound though if/when he walks.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

I don't see anything there saying he'll definitely be dealt. The Nuggets will enter the season with Melo on the roster, and if it makes sense standings-wise, deal him at the deadline. I see nothing forcing their hands to trade Melo prior to the season's start.

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
ESPN is saying all signs are leaning towards Carmello leaving the nuggets....any chance the bulls try to trade for him?

If they had the bullets they sure as hell should try. Rose+Boozer+Melo is a very compelling lineup vs the other star studded teams they have to compete with.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 07:54 PM)
If they had the bullets they sure as hell should try. Rose+Boozer+Melo is a very compelling lineup vs the other star studded teams they have to compete with.

The salaries work currently for Deng, Asik, Gibson, and Johnson in exchange for him. That's basically the Bulls' best offer, plus a few draft picks, that they could possibly make.

The real problem winds up being Noah actually...

If you could swap out the back 3 and start with Deng and Noah...that might be a deal that could at least get the Nuggets interested if they liked Noah...but Noah is very likely to sign an extension this year, and if he doesn't, he's a free agent at the end of the 2011-2012 lockout. If he signs this year...then his new contract won't count towards the cap value on the trade, so you can't trade him as a $12 million piece, you have to trade him as a $5 million piece...which means that using him as a trade chip is near impossible unless Denver is willing to take on an extra $8 million or so a season to do the deal (and all of that money would be in luxury tax territory).

LeBron James GQ Interview: 'We Hated Cleveland' (as a kid)

In an interview with GQ, LeBron James opened up and discussed Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, the possibility of playing for the Cavaliers again and growing up in Akron, Ohio.

James said he doesn't think Gilbert, who bashed James in a letter immediately after he announced his decision to sign with the Miami Heat, ever cared about him.

"My mother always told me: 'You will see the light of people when they hit adversity. You'll get a good sense of their character.' Me and my family have seen the character of that man," James said.

James also touched on growing up in Akron and hating Cleveland as a kid. According to ESPN, James told GQ, "Clevelanders, because they were the bigger-city kids when we were growing up, looked down on us. So we didn't actually like Cleveland. We hated Cleveland growing up. There's a lot of people in Cleveland we still hate to this day."

Despite that hatred growing up and the way Clevelanders feel about James now, the new member of the Heat said he isn't ruling out playing for the Cavaliers again. "If there was an opportunity for me to return and those fans welcome me back, that'd be a great story."

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Hmmmm;

The latest Carmelo Anthony rumor, from CBSSports.com, is that "the Magic are believed to be at the top of his list along with the Knicks."

The Knicks are said to have offered Danilo Gallinari, Eddy Curry (who has a huge expiring contract), and a future first-round pick. Any deal would first require Melo to sign the three-year maximum extension Denver has offered, but the process might be slowed by the fact that the Nuggets don't have a GM right now (former Suns executive David Griffin is the favorite). Stay tuned.

Don't know what we could offer besides VC or Lewis + Anderson and picks really.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
Hey badger, you boy Xavier Henry is on the market now. 19 year old kid with a sweet stroke. Thats the type of guy the Bulls should trade picks (and James Johnson) for. Rose-Henry backcourt of the future.

Henry is who I wanted from the draft.

If the Bulls could get him, I'd be really, really happy.

Scottie to get a statue.

The Chicago Bulls announced today plans to unveil a bronze statue of Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen that will be displayed permanently in the United Center by the end of the 2010-11 season. “Not only is Scottie Pippen one of the greatest players to ever wear a Bulls uniform, but he’s among the best players in history of the league to play the game,” said Bulls Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf. “He had a tremendous impact in bringing six world championships to Chicago and there is no better way to pay tribute to him than with a permanent statue that honors his inspirational career.”

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a.../#ixzz0xf9zuIYY

Is that loyal enough for you, Wade? f***ing idiot. Anyway, this is awesome. I didn't expect this at all. Props to Jerry and the entire organization for recognizing that one of the greatest and most unique players in the history of the sport truly deserves an honor like this.

Looks like Melo is done at Denver (In other words, he will be traded). I hope if the Bulls want to get him, they should address to Melo and his agent he can wear his headband since Melo was very vocal about that issue with the Bulls on that rule with Ben Wallace years ago.

According to Yahoo! Sports, the Nuggets look ready to part ways with Carmelo Anthony who has made it clear he wants out of Denver.

Anthony's camp has advised the Nuggets to deal the superstar forward since he plans to leave as a free agent next summer.

The relationship has become contentious, with Anthony's representatives making heavy-handed demands and Stan Kroenke responding in kind.

"It’s almost a given they’re going to move him," said a team executive who has talked with both the Nuggets and Anthony’s agents.

The Nets and Clippers have trade assets that most appeal to Denver's management, according to the report. No mention is made of whether Anthony has agreed to sign an extension with those clubs.

This will definitely help the Bulls compete with teams like the Lakers and Heat now and for the future (if he is extended). I hope Denver likes Luol Deng (and his youth.. despite his contract) as well. Long shot though. If I'm New York, I'd be all over this.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

I'm not going to guess whether this is the first salvo in the Denver Anthony Ripping or a legitimate issue.

The task of receiving anywhere near market value for Anthony in trade only figures to be more difficult with a growing perception the 6-foot-8 Denver forward is more interested in winning an Oscar than an NBA title.

As a league executive told me: Anthony used to bleed basketball. But if you opened him up now and looked inside, what could be found closest to the player's heart? A love of the game? Or the desire to be a Hollywood star?

As teams from New Jersey to Los Angeles respond to not-so- subtle hints from the Nuggets that the trade market for Anthony is open for bidding, it's time to ask where the cracks in the relationship between Denver and its star scorer began.

Signs point to last summer, when Anthony switched representation for his business interests to Creative Artists Agency, whose more famous clients have included Derek Jeter and Julia Roberts.

It should be noted that LaLa Vazquez, a former MTV personality and Anthony's wife, also joined CAA as part of the deal.

In recent months, as the Nuggets got bounced from the NBA playoffs during the first round, Anthony made a plea for needing more help on the team and franchise management grew increasingly frustrated by the forward's stubborn refusal to sign a $65 million contract extension, team officials have privately cursed Vazquez's influence.