NBA Offseason Thread

With Rose getting a max deal soon, I think the Bulls should use the amnesty on Boozer.

I don't know if the clause is only for this year, or it's for every year. But if it's every year, you might as well do that next off-season.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
The majority of the roster was turned over 30 games into the season. Yeah, it was a mess to come into.

Says a lot for how bad of a job Otis Smith has done ever since the "Rashard Lewis" off-season really.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
Quickest/simplest rumor would be that the Hawks will stupidly NOT use amnesty on Joe Johnson, but instead use on Kirk, who would take Bogans' spot on the roster and be an immense upgrade.

However, so much s*** will go down. I truly expect the Bulls to bring in a legit shooter to play the 2.

Hinirch is a perfect fit and would be much more cap friendly.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)
I havent followed Ben Gordon really at all since he left Chicago, but he is the exact kind of guard that I would like to see us pick up. Microwavable offense off the bench is the Bulls' biggest need.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)
He has been awful since he left.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
Detroit sits him more than he plays.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 07:08 PM)
Because he's been that bad.

He's being paid way too much to be a bench player in Detroit or Chicago.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
He's being paid way too much to be a bench player in Detroit or Chicago.

Presumably, for him to wind up being a bench player in Chicago, the process would involve "BG7's entire contract is paid via the amnesty out clause, thus allowing him to be signed as a free agent, at which point he is signed for a portion of the MLE by the Chicago Bulls". Thus, his current salary wouldn't matter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)
Presumably, for him to wind up being a bench player in Chicago, the process would involve "BG7's entire contract is paid via the amnesty out clause, thus allowing him to be signed as a free agent, at which point he is signed for a portion of the MLE by the Chicago Bulls". Thus, his current salary wouldn't matter.

Gordon wasn't good with the Pistons, but he wasn't horrible. 55% TS last season, which is perfectly acceptable. I'd take him over any of our SG options right now at the right price.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
Quickest/simplest rumor would be that the Hawks will stupidly NOT use amnesty on Joe Johnson, but instead use on Kirk, who would take Bogans' spot on the roster and be an immense upgrade.

However, so much s*** will go down. I truly expect the Bulls to bring in a legit shooter to play the 2.

Don't you still have to pay the players you use the amnesty on, they just are waived and don't count against your cap? I don't know how smart it would be to pay Joe Johnson all that money to play for someone else.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)
Don't you still have to pay the players you use the amnesty on, they just are waived and don't count against your cap? I don't know how smart it would be to pay Joe Johnson all that money to play for someone else.

The word "Amnesty" is defined at "forgiven freedom." Sounds like you don't have to pay.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
The word "Amnesty" is defined at "forgiven freedom." Sounds like you don't have to pay.

You do get cap relief, but I'm pretty sure you still have to pay.

From the Sporting News:

The amnesty clause will allow teams to cut players without having their salaries count against the cap, but the players will still be due the money remaining on their contracts.

Edited by Dick Allen

You still have to pay the guys when you use the amnesty clause, they just don't count against the luxury tax and most of their salary comes off the cap (not sure what percentage they agreed on).

Given that Atlanta's ownership situation is in flux, I seriously doubt they're going to pony up almost $85 million to amnesty Johnson.