NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
The last 10 years has there been a single team with only 1 superstar, or at least...star? Basically we only have the pistons with Billups, but Wallace was far and away the best d center at the time.

You could argue the Mavs last season only had Dirk as a true superstar. Kidd, Marion and Peja all could be considered former superstars, but they were really just there for the Dirk show last season.

The last 10 years has there been a single team with only 1 superstar, or at least...star? Basically we only have the pistons with Billups, but Wallace was far and away the best d center at the time.

That '04 Pistons team is criminally underrated. They didn't have that one dominant star. But you could argue that had as many as 5 all-star caliber players (depending on how you view Prince). Plus their bench was pretty deep as well. They were kind of the exception, though. In this league, superstars rule.

Edited by Jordan4life

I wouldn't go that far about Wallace, but the Pistons were at least somewhat of an exception. They had four fringe All-Star types at the time that gained more noteriety after that title and a very good defense.

The Spurs were also an exception depending on how you define "star". They grabbed Parker and Ginobili late in the draft and they both developed while winning. I wouldn't call Parker or Ginobili superstars, though Manu has been one of the better SG's for a while and Parker has always been pretty solid.

That type of team might actually be harder to build because you have to find a few really solid players without splurging too much financially. Detroit pretty much picked Billups, Hamilton and Big Ben off the scrap heap and got Wallace in trade largely because he's a head case and as I mentioned, the Spurs drafted Parker and Manu pretty late from the foreign ranks.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
That '04 Pistons team is criminally underrated. They didn't have that one dominant star. But you could argue that had as many as 5 all-star caliber players (depending on how you view Prince). Plus their bench was pretty deep as well. They were kind of the exception, though. In this league, superstars rule.

I remember ESPN talking about how the '07 Bulls could have been like that team. It's a shame they weren't.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
I wouldn't go that far about Wallace, but the Pistons were at least somewhat of an exception. They had four fringe All-Star types at the time that gained more noteriety after that title and a very good defense.

The Spurs were also an exception depending on how you define "star". They grabbed Parker and Ginobili late in the draft and they both developed while winning. I wouldn't call Parker or Ginobili superstars, though Manu has been one of the better SG's for a while and Parker has always been pretty solid.

That type of team might actually be harder to build because you have to find a few really solid players without splurging too much financially. Detroit pretty much picked Billups, Hamilton and Big Ben off the scrap heap and got Wallace in trade largely because he's a head case and as I mentioned, the Spurs drafted Parker and Manu pretty late from the foreign ranks.

The Spurs also had Robinson then Duncan.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
You could argue the Mavs last season only had Dirk as a true superstar. Kidd, Marion and Peja all could be considered former superstars, but they were really just there for the Dirk show last season.

You could add Butler to that list too, and Jason Terry has been consistently solid. But yes, they had Dirk and a lot of solid role players.

That team is pretty much impossible to build for most franchises though. Just look at the size of all of those contracts, and they don't win that ring without still adding Tyson Chandler on top of those guys.

The Knicks have literally nothing to trade for CP. Even if he somehow ends up in NY, his health is on the decline. He hasn't missed as many games as I thought but that Big 3 isn't nearly as intimidating as Lebron and Wade.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
You could add Butler to that list too, and Jason Terry has been consistently solid. But yes, they had Dirk and a lot of solid role players.

That team is pretty much impossible to build for most franchises though. Just look at the size of all of those contracts, and they don't win that ring without still adding Tyson Chandler on top of those guys.

absolutely, I dont think it is a feasible plan to shoot for. It was just a 1 superstar team that popped in my head when bmags asked

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
The Knicks have literally nothing to trade for CP. Even if he somehow ends up in NY, his health is on the decline. He hasn't missed as many games as I thought but that Big 3 isn't nearly as intimidating as Lebron and Wade.

You're right on both counts. They gave up pretty much every asset to get Carmelo and because they paid Melo and Amare a full max, they can't offer Paul one as well even if they gut their roster.

The Knicks also aren't nearly as scary, in part because the Heat probably have the two best players, in part because their D is a lot weaker and in part because they would have even less around their stars than the Heat have.

The only way you could REALLY put a scare in the current top teams IMO is if you could pair Dwight with an elite perimeter player or two.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)

Even with Paul I think the Bulls have a team that will go further in the playoffs. You have to have guys who are willing to play D, and that isn't those guys.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)

Rasheed was a stud. One of the most talented and versatile 4's to ever play the game.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
Ben Gordon by himself made that comparison a sham. I could drop 20 on him. Seriously. Kind of.

Yeah, but when you can't come close to dropping it on the other guys, it changes things up.

BG was what made the offense work. And he was a clutch motherf***er.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 10:05 PM)
You're right on both counts. They gave up pretty much every asset to get Carmelo and because they paid Melo and Amare a full max, they can't offer Paul one as well even if they gut their roster.

The Knicks also aren't nearly as scary, in part because the Heat probably have the two best players, in part because their D is a lot weaker and in part because they would have even less around their stars than the Heat have.

The only way you could REALLY put a scare in the current top teams IMO is if you could pair Dwight with an elite perimeter player or two.

That team would be a much much more fun version of Golden State.

ESPN's Marc Stein said Thursday that there is a growing sense among NBA executives that the Magic will trade Dwight Howard before the season starts.

The new CBA has taken away a good amount of the players' power to play where they want to play, but not completely, and has also given incentive to teams to make trades sooner rather than later if they want to get value for their exiting stars. This is not a hard report, but more opinion from an insider that is well-connected. If anything, we may get to avoid using puns like 'Melodrama' this year.

Typical ESPN... the "created news" leader.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 08:12 AM)
ESPN's Marc Stein said Thursday that there is a growing sense among NBA executives that the Magic will trade Dwight Howard before the season starts.

The new CBA has taken away a good amount of the players' power to play where they want to play, but not completely, and has also given incentive to teams to make trades sooner rather than later if they want to get value for their exiting stars. This is not a hard report, but more opinion from an insider that is well-connected. If anything, we may get to avoid using puns like 'Melodrama' this year.

Typical ESPN... the "created news" leader.

Hey, if you arent out in front of the pack with created leads, then you are behind the pack sitting on 8 year old stories that you arent required to report. it cannot be both.

oh wait

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
I guess I'll post it before someone else does: Noah, Charlotte's pick, another first rounder and whatever salary filler is needed. I think they'd probably demand adding a Deng/Turkoglu swap until they get desperate unfortunately.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
I assume a deal with Noah involved and possibly including Deng and Turkoglu could be the base of something. The Magic would be f***ed in the head to deal Dwight and not send Hedo along with him in the deal.

Original.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 08:43 AM)
Hey, if you arent out in front of the pack with created leads, then you are behind the pack sitting on 8 year old stories that you arent required to report. it cannot be both.

oh wait

This is win. :notworthy

Marc Stein reports: "Sources told ESPN.com that the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers, despite possessing no cap space to bid for the 26-year-old swingman (Arron Afflalo), will continue to press the Nuggets to see if they’re amenable to sign-and-trade discussions."