NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
I'm an Angel fan; Hate the Lakers though. I am excited to get to watch Pujols a lot. After getting rid of my season seats a few years ago, I'm thinking of getting in on a 20 game plan with a buddy. I'd love to watch a guy like Pujols.

I would be all over tickets if the Sox signed Pujols, you don't get to see a talent like that play right in front of you too much.

QUOTE (TheCut87 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:05 PM)
I'm pissed we haven't pulled the trigger on anyone we don't have a roster to win it all an if this all goes down I still don't see how the bulls sign anyone left out there that will push us over the top

What trigger? What trades are you referring to? None of these guys want to play in Chicago.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)
I would be all over tickets if the Sox signed Pujols, you don't get to see a talent like that play right in front of you too much.

I enjoyed watching Vladdy for years too. Plus I get to watch Haren, Weaver, etc. Thats some damn good pitching. Thank god my 2nd favorite team will be meaningful for a few years while the Sox are irrelevant (although I'm excited to watch the Sox prospects, assuming we get some). Last year was the least I watched White Sox baseball in forever (during the summer that is). Team was so freaking unlikeable and Ozzie so easy to hate.

I speak for probably a faction when I say it doesn't piss me off that howard may go to the lakers, it pisses me off that howard may go to the lakers for andrew bynum. That's not a real trade. At least with the bulls we are sending legitimate pieces. At least when the celts traded for garnett they could hang their hat on al jefferson. This is just collusion.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:10 PM)
I enjoyed watching Vladdy for years too. Plus I get to watch Haren, Weaver, etc. Thats some damn good pitching. Thank god my 2nd favorite team will be meaningful for a few years while the Sox are irrelevant (although I'm excited to watch the Sox prospects, assuming we get some). Last year was the least I watched White Sox baseball in forever (during the summer that is). Team was so freaking unlikeable and Ozzie so easy to hate.

My 2nd favorite team is the Orioles. So... yeah.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
I speak for probably a faction when I say it doesn't piss me off that howard may go to the lakers, it pisses me off that howard may go to the lakers for andrew bynum. That's not a real trade. At least with the bulls we are sending legitimate pieces. At least when the celts traded for garnett they could hang their hat on al jefferson. This is just collusion.

Again, the player controls everything. If Howard says I'm not signing an extension with the Bulls, what are they to do? Howard seems like a front-runner to me, anyway. Much easier to team with Kobe, Paul, etc.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)

This. GarPax undoubtedly made some sort of effort to get Dwight, but there's just nothing they can do. I can't imagine how frustrated GarPax must be (with the player collusion).

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 01:16 AM)
Again, the player controls everything. If Howard says I'm not signing an extension with the Bulls, what are they to do? Howard seems like a front-runner to me, anyway. Much easier to team with Kobe, Paul, etc.

Don't say "again" like you are refuting anything. Did I say it's wrong and bad because it's untrue, or did I say it's wrong because it's f***ed up that an awful package could net the best center in the league. You don't need to be a contrarian about things people aren't even arguing about.

The only way to combat this is for the GMs to collude a bit. The bottom-line is that Orlando, if this Howard deal is done for Bynum, are the real idiots. I'd just as soon let Howard walk for nothing at the end of the year than serve as a farm system for LAL. Smith, in this case, would catch hell from the media for not budging but someone from small-mid market management needs to step up and start the trend.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:01 PM)
If the Bulls traded for Dwight, no one here but Felix would be complaining.

Why would I give a s*** if the Bulls traded for Dwight? I don't hate the Bulls. For the most part, I do hate their fans (especially in this thread), but the 'woe is me... my team doesn't make the trades they need to' rhetoric is actually very comical to watch. All in all, I'm really enjoying this for now.

I'll probably be sick of the whining come mid-January/early-February, but for now I'll just sit back and chuckle to myself.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
Don't say "again" like you are refuting anything. Did I say it's wrong and bad because it's untrue, or did I say it's wrong because it's f***ed up that an awful package could net the best center in the league. You don't need to be a contrarian about things people aren't even arguing about.

Then why did you bring up KG? That was a dumb comparison. KG wasn't a year away from FA when the Wolves were contemplating possible trades.

Because I was talking about what it took to put the original big 3 together. Now all it takes is some whining, and a team will take .20 on the dollar to trade them. They clearly could get more than Bynum for Howard. There are owners that would trade more than that for howard for 1 year, I guarantee it. But we have a world of NBA writers writing this s***:

"But the reason they're able to deal for Kobe, for Odom, for Gasol, for Chris Paul and possibly Dwight Howard is because they have the pieces in place. Not because they make more money than anyone else (though this did help them hang onto Odom two offseasons ago), but because they have the parts."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont...urn=nba-wp11564

This is atrocious.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
Because I was talking about what it took to put the original big 3 together. Now all it takes is some whining, and a team will take .20 on the dollar to trade them. They clearly could get more than Bynum for Howard. There are owners that would trade more than that for howard for 1 year, I guarantee it. But we have a world of NBA writers writing this s***:

"But the reason they're able to deal for Kobe, for Odom, for Gasol, for Chris Paul and possibly Dwight Howard is because they have the pieces in place. Not because they make more money than anyone else (though this did help them hang onto Odom two offseasons ago), but because they have the parts."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont...urn=nba-wp11564

This is atrocious.

Well KG didn't have the same power that Howard, a soon to be FA, has. That's all I was saying. The Wolves didn't have to settle for crap in fear they could lose him for nothing in a year.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 01:42 AM)
Well KG didn't have the same power that Howard, a soon to be FA, has. That's all I was saying. The Wolves didn't have to settle for crap in fear they could lose him for nothing in a year. That's all I was saying.

I understand that, but if you are orlando, would you rather have had the gasol odom package or the bynum...caracter...ummm trade.

The Bulls can trade more value without the promise of Howard resigning. The question is how bad do you want to win. Do you take the risk?

If the Bulls can get Howard at a reasonable rate, I wouldnt be completely opposed to taking the risk that over a season he decides he wants to sign with Chicago.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 01:52 AM)
The Bulls can trade more value without the promise of Howard resigning. The question is how bad do you want to win. Do you take the risk?

If the Bulls can get Howard at a reasonable rate, I wouldnt be completely opposed to taking the risk that over a season he decides he wants to sign with Chicago.

I wouldn't make the trade unless he'd resign...but if you were the new Clippers owner or the rich soon-to-be brooklyn nets owner...wouldn't you take that chance?

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 09:56 PM)
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

NBA owners have pushed commissioner David Stern to kill the deal sending Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, sources tell Y! Sports.

HA, please be true.

David Stern isnt going to kill the deal, i think it will go through, nothing this good could happen

bmags,

Thats what Im getting at. If you want Howard or a superstar, you can trade for him if he isnt agreeing to resign. And you can spend the entire year trying to convince him to stay. If you are a team that isnt one of the "haves" you gotta take a risk. You just cant sit and say I wont offer because the guy wont sign with me. Otherwise youll always be playing for scraps.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

NBA owners have pushed commissioner David Stern to kill the deal sending Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, sources tell Y! Sports.

HA, please be true. Dont know what that means though.

the NBA owns the hornets correct? so why would David Stern kill this deal?