NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
Actually, I believe it will severely hurt the league int he long run. Smaller market, or less privileged teams will be treated as "feeders" to the larger markets.

This is how it works in the MLB.

Now Dwight is forcing his way to NJ. Man, whatever happened to requesting a trade to multiple teams to help the franchise that has paid you for the first 7 years of your career out? Give them a f***ing LIST, man.

The league could simply stop all this horses*** by not allowing players to sign extensions with new teams if traded in the final year of their deal. The team acquiring said player is guaranteed at least another year after the acquiring year, in that scenario.

If you abolish the extension in the final year, then the player becomes a free agent... in this case teams that area already loaded would be too close to the cap or over the cap to make an offer on the players.

If I'm the Bulls, and Dwight requests a trade the final year he can (with one year remaining in said scenario), it makes way more sense to toss a huge package with the hopes you can win in those two seasons and he can be convinced that Chicago is pretty great, and so is Rose.

Yes, this would be the perfect fix to the situation.

The following is the email in its entirety:

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

I'm coming around on this given the special scenario that the league's owners each owns part of the Hornets. F*ck it, send Dwight to New Jersey, and find me some information about Jason Richardson coming to the Bulls.

So Paul's now considering a lawsuit against the NBA? dsypaeryphyigjgts. lmao. Dude. THE LEAGUE OWNS THE HORNETS. I REPEAT....THE LEAGUE OWNS THE HORNETS!!! You have no legal foot to stand on. They do not have to trade you if they feel one team is significantly bending over the other. Which was obviously the case.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)
Dan Gilbert needs to realize that these trades make it less likely that LeBron gets a ring. It's not like his Cavs are gonna win anytime soon.

So if the Heat had won last year Gilbert wouldn't feel the exact same way? I doubt he gives a s*** about LeBron anymore.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)
Dan Gilbert needs to realize that these trades make it less likely that LeBron gets a ring. It's not like his Cavs are gonna win anytime soon.

And everytime a superstar forces his way out of a small market, it makes it less likely that he will get a superstar to stay in his s***hole of Cleveland.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)
And everytime a superstar forces his way out of a small market, it makes it less likely that he will get a superstar to stay in his s***hole of Cleveland.

Honestly, you can debate Stern or the leagues motives all you want. But please don't tell me this was a legitimate trade. Could you imagine as a Bulls fan waking up tomorrow:

Lakers acquire superstar Rose in 3-way"blockbuster," Odom, Scola, Martin, draft pick in the 20's to the Bulls. We'd be ready to bomb the UC.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
Lakers acquire superstar Rose in 3-way"blockbuster," Odom, Scola, Martin, draft pick in the 20's to the Bulls. We'd be ready to bomb the UC.

I'd slit my wrists, but Derrick Rose isn't demanding a trade and refusing to sign an extension in the final year of his deal.

Honestly, if I knew Rose was gone, and I could get Odom, Scola, Martin and a late 1st, I'd be happier than entering another situation similar to 99-03.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
I'd slit my wrists, but Derrick Rose isn't demanding a trade and refusing to sign an extension in the final year of his deal.

Honestly, if I knew Rose was gone, and I could get Odom, Scola, Martin and a late 1st, I'd be happier than entering another situation similar to 99-03.

I know that. It was just a hypothetical. I'm just trying to pretend I'm a Hornets fan for a moment. And losing Rose would make a return to the dark ages inevitable, regardless of that weak package.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 08:48 AM)
So if the Heat had won last year Gilbert wouldn't feel the exact same way? I doubt he gives a s*** about LeBron anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)

It was more of a sarcastic post. Obviously despite his rants last offseason, he does need to look out for his s***ty franchise first and foremost.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
Brandon Roy is expected to soon announce his retirement due to a degenerative knee condition, according to ESPN's Chris Broussard.

That's just so unfortunate.

that's awful. He was so fun to watch for so short a time. Best of luck.

LOL, the NBA is such a joke.

Also, f*** the Bulls for not making a splash. So content about "team" and "chemistry" and all that bulls*** that is great. Too bad the ceiling for those teams isn't close to the ceiling of teams with 2-3 superstars.

We better hope that Rose becomes the next MJ. Otherwise we're a good playoff team without a real shot at a title.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
LOL, the NBA is such a joke.

Also, f*** the Bulls for not making a splash. So content about "team" and "chemistry" and all that bulls*** that is great. Too bad the ceiling for those teams isn't close to the ceiling of teams with 2-3 superstars.

We better hope that Rose becomes the next MJ. Otherwise we're a good playoff team without a real shot at a title.

What more could the Bulls have done? They made possibly the best offer of any team for Howard. Howard just doesn't want Chicago. That sucks, but it isn't the fault of management.

Jason Richardson is still out there. Rip Hamilton still might be amnestied. Hell, even Jamal Crawford is still out there. Even a pipe dream like Afflalo or Nick Young (no chance of either signing here affordably) hasn't signed yet.

The fact that the Bulls didn't pay $8M per year for Caron Butler is smart. The fact that Bradon Roy is retiring is a good thing for the Bulls. What more would you have had them do?

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein

CP3 Trade Latest: Sources tell ESPN com that teams involved in three-team trade blocked by David Stern appealing to NBA to reverse decision

OK, I can see the Rockets and OBVIOUSLY the Lakers being upset. The Hornets? Let's recap once again because I'm bored and have nothing else to do.

Hornets give up BEST PLAYER IN DEAL BY FAR. They don't get back the non-Paul best player in the deal (Gasol). They take on another $20 million in borderline all-stars and roleplayers, get older, and get ONE pick back that will be in the 20's. WHAT THE f***! Thank god the league has stepped in and intervened.