NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
They have a huge built in advantage on signing him, not only the city, but the CBA let's them offer like $25 mil more than anyone else can next offseason.

The city doesn't matter. People go to LA to play for the Lakers, not because it's LA. Nobody cares about the Clippers. He'll leave and when his contract comes due, Griffin will leave.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 01:16 AM)
I don't really see how this would be possible. They still haven't resigned Afflalo (but I imagine they will), however, Chandler and JR Smith being stuck in China doesn't help anything.

Well they've got pretty good depth as it is, and George Karl has been a pretty good coach over the years.

They probably do need another star player to put them in the upper caliber teams in the West, but they've got young guys like Gallinari who can definitely improve also.

I actually thought about that, how annoying it was to guard Ray Allen for the Heat just because he's constantly running in circles on the offensive end. I think the movement he brings on offense without a significant drop to defense (which is my main problem with most of these SGs we were mentioning) makes me excited to at least see what he looks like. Hopefully not washed up.

Maybe jimmy butler will be amazing !?!?!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
WallaceNBA_ESPN Michael Wallace

Bulls nab Rip Hamilton in move that makes them bigger potential headache 4 Heat. Very few 2s frustrate Wade like Rip.

Trouble is...Wade did virtually nothing against the Bulls last year anyway. The problem wasn't the Bulls defense, it was the Bulls inability to score the ball or spread the floor.

The Bulls will get Rip open shots. The question is what he'll do with them.

Rip is going to be nice to have.

Also, the Bench Mob is going to straight up murder teams this year with the condensed schedule.

Watson-Brewer-Korver-Taj-Asik. Still great. And now they have Butler for when they need even more obnoxiously powerful D from the Bench.

Rose (36) / Watson (12)

Hamilton (25) / Brewer (23)

Deng (30) / Korver (18)

Boozer (30) / Gibson (18)

Noah (30) / Asik (14) / Gibson (4)

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
Trouble is...Wade did virtually nothing against the Bulls last year anyway. The problem wasn't the Bulls defense, it was the Bulls inability to score the ball or spread the floor.

The Bulls will get Rip open shots. The question is what he'll do with them.

Don't forget that was the only series Lebron showed up to play in too. He was hitting shots that weren't going down against Boston and then Dallas.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
Don't forget that was the only series Lebron showed up to play in too. He was hitting shots that weren't going down against Boston and then Dallas.

I don't recall Lebron having an exceptionally spectacular series, I recall him having what, 1 game where he won it with some ridiculous shots, then another game which was really won by Bosh, then another game which was really won by Haslam, all of which were really punctuated by the Bulls being unable to do anything remotely resembling a competent offense.

Basically, if Korver could have hit some of the open shots he got on the outside, the Bulls would have taken that series. If Rose would have been smarter about his shot and drive selections, the Bulls could have taken that series. If the Bulls had a competent additional offensive option, the Bulls could have taken that series.

The defense held together pretty darn well, even with LBJ on the opposite side, different guys had to step up just to keep the Heat in the games, but the biggest thing was that the Heat's defense completely clamped down on the Bulls on the interior and mid range jumper game, and the Bulls couldn't spread the floor or make outside shots to take advantage.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
The city doesn't matter. People go to LA to play for the Lakers, not because it's LA. Nobody cares about the Clippers. He'll leave and when his contract comes due, Griffin will leave.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Since the trade, the Clippers have already sold out their season ticket allotment and are starting a waiting list. They will never be the Lakers, but they can easily become popular enough that players would want to stay. They play in the same arena & LA fans are kings of the frontrunners.

In 27 seasons in LA, the Clippers have 4 playoff apps and one series victory. They have never given themselves a chance to become popular.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Since the trade, the Clippers have already sold out their season ticket allotment and are starting a waiting list. They will never be the Lakers, but they can easily become popular enough that players would want to stay. They play in the same arena & LA fans are kings of the frontrunners.

In 27 seasons in LA, the Clippers have 4 playoff apps and one series victory. They have never given themselves a chance to become popular.

Stephen A. thinks Kobe will demand a trade by the end of the season. If that happens, with no superstar and a couple with the Clips, I wonder....

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)

I can't imagine elite free agents wanting to flock to the Lakers with a 35-year old Kobe as the centerpiece. Their window is closing rather rapidly. The Thunder, Grizzlies and Clippers will be running things in that conference very soon (if not this year).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
lol. Good luck with that. Kobe's got nearly $60 million owed to him for the 2013-2014 seasons.

The Clippers could pull it off by dealing Chris Paul's contract for him. Or maybe by adding Maurice Williams, Blake Griffin, and some filler.