NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
PDcavsinsider

Didn't say Rose was anti-LeBron. But the word is preference was Joe Johnson. They have same agent. That is what multiple people tell me. less than 10 seconds ago via TweetDeck

I would think LeBron would be anti-noah since they got into it about James's dancing bulls***.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
I would think LeBron would be anti-noah since they got into it about James's dancing bulls***.

They were cool during/after the playoffs though. (I.E. Noah and LeBron laughing at the score's table when they were both subbing in, Noah hugging LeBron after we lost game 5, etc..)

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 07:21 PM)
Yeah, there is no way Miami would do a sign-and-trade with us. Absolutely zero.

Really? Pat Riley loves himself some f***ing D-Rose.

Honestly, I've been thinking all along D-Rose and D-Wade would make ZERO sense on the same team. I also, however, think it'd make ZERO sense to use Rose in a S&T to get Wade unless there were two other very large guarantees.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
Really? Pat Riley loves himself some f***ing D-Rose.

Honestly, I've been thinking all along D-Rose and D-Wade would make ZERO sense on the same team. I also, however, think it'd make ZERO sense to use Rose in a S&T to get Wade unless there were two other very large guarantees.

I think the two of them would make beautiful music together...

I don't think Rose for Wade is worth it, personally. Although I can understand the questions that would arise about how they'd play together. Such questions could be asked about LeBron and Rose playing together too though. All three of the aformentioned are big time ball dominant players.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
I think the two of them would make beautiful music together...

Miami was THIS close to drafting Rose just a couple years ago to pair with Wade. No doubt in my mind Rose probably would be farther along in this development (which is scary to think) learning off Wade. (though Spalotra isn't as much better of a coach as Vinny)

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
I don't think Rose for Wade is worth it, personally. Although I can understand the questions that would arise about how they'd play together. Such questions could be asked about LeBron and Rose playing together too though. All three of the aformentioned are big time ball dominant players.

The two of them could be our Isiah and Dumars, as far as I can imagine, except with Wade being a bit more aggressive than Dumars in taking it to the rack...

Rose is never going to be a great shooter...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
The two of them could be our Isiah and Dumars, as far as I can imagine, except with Wade being a bit more aggressive than Dumars in taking it to the rack...

Rose is never going to be a great shooter...

Well that's the issue. With a Rose/Wade backcourt, you have two guards on the floor basically at all times that are not good at all from 3 point range. They are very dynamic players, but you need to make some 3's in today's NBA. In such a case, you need a 3 man that can shoot from long range, but Luol Deng is not that guy and he has a contract that is hard to move. You'd either have to find a way to move Deng and replace him with a wing that can shoot 3's, or find a Euro style 4 that can play pick and pop.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:47 PM)
Well that's the issue. With a Rose/Wade backcourt, you have two guards on the floor basically at all times that are not good at all from 3 point range. They are very dynamic players, but you need to make some 3's in today's NBA. In such a case, you need a 3 man that can shoot from long range, but Luol Deng is not that guy and he has a contract that is hard to move. You'd either have to find a way to move Deng and replace him with a wing that can shoot 3's, or find a Euro style 4 that can play pick and pop.

Yeah, but Wade can hit jumpers well-enough. Michael was never a great 3-point shooter either. But he could hit the jumpshot from 20 feet and inside when we needed it. Wade can do the same thing.

Rose will never be able to do that.

sometimes I think some of this stuff is just cooked up by Cleveland writers because the lack of a shooter thing isn't that big in my book. It's not like a shooter on a Bulls team with LBJ would have to be a star or a guy that can create his own shot, I imagine the Bulls would be able to find one at an affordable cost, they may even get a good veteran player at a discount who is looking for a ring. LBJ knows what's going on, I don't think a lack of a shooter on the current roster would stop him from coming to the Bulls

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 04:12 AM)
@PDcavsinsider - Based on several people who have talked to LeBron in last 72 hours, he is giving impression he's undecided after last week's meetings. He really likes Rose & Noah. But there's lack if shooters on roster. Also it doesn't sound like he's exactly being welcomed by Rose. Also, can confirm several reports of a rift between Wes Wesley & James camp. Wes was indeed pushing Chicago, I'm told. At this point, LeBron has tightly closed ranks, only seriously talking about decision with a couple people. Which is why so little info.

that's not 140 characters.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)
Yeah, but Wade can hit jumpers well-enough. Michael was never a great 3-point shooter either. But he could hit the jumpshot from 20 feet and inside when we needed it. Wade can do the same thing.

I wouldn't go that far. Wade wasn't a very good jump shooter when he came into the league, he's really worked at it. I'm not sure Rose will get to where Wade is now (I'd say Rose wasn't as good a jump shooter coming into the league as Wade was), but I think he can get into that neighborhood with a lot of work. It's interesting, Wade and Rose have a lot of similarities as players.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
sometimes I think some of this stuff is just cooked up by Cleveland writers because the lack of a shooter thing isn't that big in my book. It's not like a shooter on a Bulls team with LBJ would have to be a star or a guy that can create his own shot, I imagine the Bulls would be able to find one at an affordable cost, they may even get a good veteran player at a discount who is looking for a ring. LBJ knows what's going on, I don't think a lack of a shooter on the current roster would stop him from coming to the Bulls

Yeah, guys that are just out there to hit perimeter shots can be found at a pretty good rate. Especially if you offer them Derrick Rose and LeBron James on their team.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
I wouldn't go that far. Wade wasn't a very good jump shooter when he came into the league, he's really worked at it. I'm not sure Rose will get to where Wade is now (I'd say Rose wasn't as good a jump shooter coming into the league as Wade was), but I think he can get into that neighborhood with a lot of work. It's interesting, Wade and Rose have a lot of similarities as players.

That's interesting...I never thought they were very similar.

I am certainly no basketball scout, but I knew when I saw Wade at Marquette that he would become a very special player. I told everyone that would listen that he would probably be the player who most resembled Jordan in this era. And I still stand by that claim.

Rose, on the other hand, has always struck me more as your classic PG. Isiah Thomas is who he always reminds me of...can score if he must, but the overall game is much more a blend of dishing, scoring, running the offense.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
@PDcavsinsider - Based on several people who have talked to LeBron in last 72 hours, he is giving impression he's undecided after last week's meetings. He really likes Rose & Noah. But there's lack if shooters on roster. Also it doesn't sound like he's exactly being welcomed by Rose. Also, can confirm several reports of a rift between Wes Wesley & James camp. Wes was indeed pushing Chicago, I'm told. At this point, LeBron has tightly closed ranks, only seriously talking about decision with a couple people. Which is why so little info.

If this is true at all, Rose needs to go away.

There is zero chance that Rose doesn't want Lebron. Maybe his quiet unassuming demeanor could be somehow interpreted that way, but that absolutely can't be true.

As far as the shooters thing, that is irrelevant as well. Our roster isn't nearly complete, clearly we could add some shooters to the mix. And it's not like being surrounded with only shooters has done him any good.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
That's interesting...I never thought they were very similar.

I am certainly no basketball scout, but I knew when I saw Wade at Marquette that he would become a very special player. I told everyone that would listen that he would probably be the player who most resembled Jordan in this era. And I still stand by that claim.

Rose, on the other hand, has always struck me more as your classic PG. Isiah Thomas is who he always reminds me of...can score if he must, but the overall game is much more a blend of dishing, scoring, running the offense.

Rose is definitely more a classic PG (Wade really isn't equipped to be playing point in the NBA even if you wanted him to for some reason), but a lot of what Rose and Wade do is very similar. Both are explosive athletes, love to go to the basket, not great long range shooters, can get open shots for teammates, have the ability to get involved rebounding moreso than guards of their size typically do, etc. Wade is definitely a better shooter and scorer though, although I think Rose is going to get more calls going to the basket as time goes on which will equal more free throws and more points.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
Rose is definitely more a classic PG (Wade really isn't equipped to be playing point in the NBA even if you wanted him to for some reason), but a lot of what Rose and Wade do is very similar. Both are explosive athletes, love to go to the basket, not great long range shooters, can get open shots for teammates, have the ability to get involved rebounding moreso than guards of their size typically do, etc. Wade is definitely a better shooter and scorer though, although I think Rose is going to get more calls going to the basket as time goes on which will equal more free throws and more points.

And I can definitely agree with most of that, except I give Wade a bit more credit for his jumper than you do I think. Either way, while our guards would definitely dominate the ball if we had the two of them, that seems to be the perfect offense for us. Basically, we would be recreating the Pistons of 88'-89'-90 when you throw Noah into the mix. Wade, Rose, Noah...s***, if you throw Bosh in there I think that team would win 3-4 titles if things broke the right way.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)

Wow, that statement really irks the hell out of me. He's 21 years old and has gotten better exponentially in every facet of his game. He was a mediocre-to-bad mid-range shooter when entering the league and in the stretch run last year, he was absolutely lethal. His jumper is MUCH improved and there has been lots of reports about him putting up tons and tons of jumpers (including 3's) all summer to try and improve even more. Writing him off this early is an absolute injustice to his work ethic. If he keeps his same attitude and demeanor, he has the potential to be the best player in the NBA. Seriously.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
Wow, that statement really irks the hell out of me. He's 21 years old and has gotten better exponentially in every facet of his game. He was a mediocre-to-bad mid-range shooter when entering the league and in the stretch run last year, he was absolutely lethal. His jumper is MUCH improved and there has been lots of reports about him putting up tons and tons of jumpers (including 3's) all summer to try and improve even more. Writing him off this early is an absolute injustice to his work ethic. If he keeps his same attitude and demeanor, he has the potential to be the best player in the NBA. Seriously.

Point taken.

But the number of players that have come into the NBA with a 20 foot jumper as poor as Rose's that have turned into great jump shooters can probably be counted on two hands.

I understand that the kid may be working and working and working, but what the do you think he has been doing since he was 5 years old? Working on his basketball game...and his jumper just isn't that of an elite scoring jump shooter in the NBA.

Now you may be right, and maybe he will develop into a silky smooth shooter and devastating scorer from all over the floor. But I think the chances are very good that his forte in the NBA will be that a penetrate and distribute PG.