NBA Offseason Thread

I am officially at my saturation point. . . annoyed and frustrated. Probably my own fault but the amount of conflict "throw s*** against the wall" information out there is giving me a headache.

I hope Bosh, Wade, and LeBron all contract super herpes.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)
I hate Luol Deng, and his contract. It is going to be extremely painful watching him play next season, and to know not moving him might be the reason we end up shut out here.

I'm not sure the Luol Deng deal is the reason the Bulls strike out if that's how it plays out. And even if it is, don't blame Deng for signing the deal, blame John Paxson for offering it.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)
I hate Luol Deng, and his contract. It is going to be extremely painful watching him play next season, and to know not moving him might be the reason we end up shut out here.

I really don't think that has much to do with it. It's not lack of money or effort by the Bulls, it's simply two guys that prefer to stay where they are.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)
If Bosh goes to Cleveland, than I dont think Wade is going to want to stay in Miami.

Remember also, Florida I believe doesn't have a state income tax. This also adds into total compensation and a differential between offers.

The problem right now is this: Miami has room for two max contracts, we don't.

If you sign Boozer now, he has options. He can go to Miami for the max, which is 30% of the cap. So he can get similar money to Amare if the Heat are truly desperate (and I think they are).

So basically, you'd be overpaying for Boozer. Lee can't get 30% of the cap as a max contract, he's only been in the league for 5 years. He's keeping Boozer's value down right now since they're somewhat comparable players.

I'm sure Wade would rather play with Boozer. If you can get Boozer to take less than a max and still have room for another max, you lock him down now. If not, well, just hope that Wade will come here.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)
Remember also, Florida I believe doesn't have a state income tax. This also adds into total compensation and a differential between offers.

It's not nearly the difference people think. I can't remember the exact number it makes in terms of difference, but it's pretty small.

Right, but it's not 100% about money. If Bosh goes to Cleveland, that leaves wade with Bosh, Beasley, and a whole lot of nothing else, and he's far from his kids.

bosh will not go to Cleveland, no chance at all, he wants to play in a big market. It is rumored that Toronto GM will not work with Bosh for a sign and trade in which he will get the 6 year max deal, unless raptors get something significant in return. Cleveland can only offer Hickson.

There is a great chance Bosh can go to Houston, a city to close to his home. Houston can probably offer the raptors Jordan Hill, Ariza, and Jeffries. I can see Bosh go to Miami if Wade stays there. So it's down to Houston, Miami and the Bulls for Bosh.

If the bulls fail to sign the remaining big 2

I think the following scenario would still make a competitive team out of them.

sign boozer for a max deal of around 14 mil.

sign mike miller for 7.5 mil/year

sign Matt barnes for 4 mil/year

sign Jason williams for 3 mil/year

Hope that Theo ratliff will sign for 1.5 mil/year

the remaining spots can be veteran minimum or rookie minimum for all we care

noah/ratliff

boozer/taj gibson

deng/james johnson

miller/matt barnes

rose/j will

this lineup may not push us past the East, but it's a significant upgrade over last year's team, and at least we have something to show for after all the moves we've made in the past two years.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
It's not nearly the difference people think. I can't remember the exact number it makes in terms of difference, but it's pretty small.

Illinois is a flat 3% tax. So, he's lose $3 million on a $100 million deal. Not a ton.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
bosh will not go to Cleveland, no chance at all, he wants to play in a big market. It is rumored that Toronto GM will not work with Bosh for a sign and trade in which he will get the 6 year max deal, unless raptors get something significant in return. Cleveland can only offer Hickson.

There is a great chance Bosh can go to Houston, a city to close to his home. Houston can probably offer the raptors Jordan Hill, Ariza, and Jeffries. I can see Bosh go to Miami if Wade stays there. So it's down to Houston, Miami and the Bulls for Bosh.

noah/ratliff

boozer/taj gibson

deng/james johnson

miller/matt barnes

rose/j will

this lineup may not push us past the East, but it's a significant upgrade over last year's team, and at least we have something to show for after all the moves we've made in the past two years.

Too many white people.

But they do have a supplemental tax on investments that basically replaces the income tax for wealthy investors.

So no-income tax sounds good but won't be quite as significant as some in the press are suggesting.

Edit:

Didn't realize the intangibles tax was abolished.

So... forget everything else I said above. LOL.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)

noah/ratliff

boozer/taj gibson

deng/james johnson

miller/matt barnes

rose/j will

Well the one positive the Bulls have here is what have they really given up to get into this position? I mean, a lot of players have left town recently, but are any of them ones that the Bulls will long regret, or even regret at all? I'd say definitely not. So the Bulls are going to be improved even if they just get guys like you mentioned. The problem is, they won't be nearly good enough to win the title, and that's the goal here.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Florida state income tax (via Wikipedia) -

Florida – no personal income tax, but has a corporate income tax (at a 5% rate). The state once had a tax on "intangible personal property" held on the first day of the year (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, money market funds, etc.), but it was abolished at the start of 2007.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
The problem right now is this: Miami has room for two max contracts, we don't.

If you sign Boozer now, he has options. He can go to Miami for the max, which is 30% of the cap. So he can get similar money to Amare if the Heat are truly desperate (and I think they are).

So basically, you'd be overpaying for Boozer. Lee can't get 30% of the cap as a max contract, he's only been in the league for 5 years. He's keeping Boozer's value down right now since they're somewhat comparable players.

I'm sure Wade would rather play with Boozer. If you can get Boozer to take less than a max and still have room for another max, you lock him down now. If not, well, just hope that Wade will come here.

max contracts are different for everybody. I believe it's 105% of their last contract.

In Boozer's case, it would be around $75mil/ 5 years or $93mil/6 year if he resigns with Jazz

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
LeBron will win. Bulls need to act now if they this is true. It's them vs. Miami.

You would think so because he has the leverage. But Bosh really has no interest in playing for Cleveland. But as little ammo as Cleveland has for a S&T, Miami has even less in terms of a backup plan for Bosh with playing alongside Wade down there. I guess Chicago is an option too, but they also have very little S&T ammo. What a mess.