NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Noah + Deng for Turkoglu and Bosh.

Bosh gets that extra $30 million later on. His salary this year would be the normal max, or $30% of the cap ($17.1 million). Turkoglu made $9 million last year and I think that he should make a similar figure this year. So you save $2 million from Deng. Noah makes $2.5 million. So you take about $4.5 million off your remaining cap. That's be enough for a Wade.

Wade is not going to sign with us for less than Bosh.

IMO, if Bosh will only do a S&T then there is no possibility of getting two of LeBron/Wade/Bosh. We'd have to do two S&T's and we don't have enough players on our roster to do so. Right now, you got to hope that Wade or LeBron will decide Chicago is in their best interest and will directly sign with us. That might leave enough money to sign Boozer or Lee without making any other moves.

If my math is right, the trade as proposed by me would leave us with 27 million to work with.

-20 for Wade

= 4ish mill to get haywood and some depth, and Hedo can be our gunner.

C Haywood

PF Bosh

SF Hedo

SG Wade

PG Rose

Gibson

Johnson

Asik

other f***s

off the bench

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 08:51 AM)
If my math is right, the trade as proposed by me would leave us with 27 million to work with.

-20 for Wade

= 7 mill to get haywood and some depth, and Hedo can be our gunner.

C Haywood

PF Bosh

SF Hedo

SG Wade

PG Rose

Gibson

Johnson

Asik

other f***s

off the bench

It isn't bad, but I might rather just keep our lineup as is and go with boozer.

Noah

Boozer

Deng

Wade

Rose

Gibson

Johnson

Asik

Acie Law

Etc

Noah actually makes $3 million this year. Deng makes almost $11.5 million. You can also throw in James Johnson, who makes almost $2 million.

Turkoglu makes $9.8 million this year.

So you save $1.5 million from Deng, in reality, $3 million from Noah and $2 million from Johnson.

That's $6.5 million.

Currently, the Bulls are at $25.9 million (with Hinrich trade). The cap this year is $56.1 million. We have a little over $30 million (could be under, not completely sure). So add $6.5 to that figure and you have yourself enough for two max contracts.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
It isn't bad, but I might rather just keep our lineup as is and go with boozer.

Noah

Boozer

Deng

Wade

Rose

Gibson

Johnson

Asik

Acie Law

Etc

If only Wade wanted to play with Boozer then I'd obviously be down with that. The issue is guaranteeing yourself a top 3 guy which my scenario does. You bring in Bosh, and Wade is more likely to bounce anyway.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
Wade is not going to sign with us for less than Bosh.

IMO, if Bosh will only do a S&T then there is no possibility of getting two of LeBron/Wade/Bosh. We'd have to do two S&T's and we don't have enough players on our roster to do so. Right now, you got to hope that Wade or LeBron will decide Chicago is in their best interest and will directly sign with us. That might leave enough money to sign Boozer or Lee without making any other moves.

If Wade wants out of Miami, he'll just leave. Out of everybody, he probably cares the least about money.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
Noah actually makes $3 million this year. Deng makes almost $11.5 million. You can also throw in James Johnson, who makes almost $2 million.

Turkoglu makes $9.8 million this year.

So you save $1.5 million from Deng, in reality, $3 million from Noah and $2 million from Johnson.

That's $6.5 million.

Currently, the Bulls are at $25.9 million (with Hinrich trade). The cap this year is $56.1 million. We have a little over $30 million (could be under, not completely sure). So add $6.5 to that figure and you have yourself enough for two max contracts.

There is a trade kicker so Turk impacts the cap more than 9.8M.

The more I think about it, the more I'd rather have Bosh than Boozer. Bosh is much younger and much healthier. And I'd be willing to trade Noah if need be.

However, I would only do that if we were getting Wade or Lebron. I would not do it if we weren't.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)

The more I think about it, the more I'd rather have Bosh than Boozer. Bosh is much younger and much healthier and much better. And I'd be willing to trade Noah if need be.

However, I would only do that if we were getting Wade or Lebron. I would not do it if we weren't.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)

The more I think about it, the more I'd rather have Bosh than Boozer. Bosh is much younger and much healthier. And I'd be willing to trade Noah if need be.

It's $15% right?

Well, if that's the case, then he'll cost just as much as Deng. So the only money you save is from Noah and Johnson, which might do it.

Another issue would be whether or not Jerry wants all this future luxury tax. We wouldn't have to sign Noah anymore, but Rose is going to get a raise in two years. Both of these guys' contracts will also increase in value as they get more tenure.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
If only Wade wanted to play with Boozer then I'd obviously be down with that. The issue is guaranteeing yourself a top 3 guy which my scenario does. You bring in Bosh, and Wade is more likely to bounce anyway.

Well if LBJ stays in Cleveland, than the best case is that Bosh goes to Cleveland because it likely forces Wade to think about leaving Miami because he'd have no chance to win without jumping ship.

But I think Wade cares a lot about money. All of these guys do and don't pretend for one minute that they don't. And I don't blame em for it either.

The problem with trading Noah is your interior defense takes a major hit and you wouldn't have the money to replace him.

Two max players plus either Deng or Hedo (which pretty much have to be involved) puts you right up against the cap. That means your interior defense is left to Bosh, Gibson and probably Asik. Can any of those guys guard NBA centers right now? Bosh has proven that he can't, Gibson is too small and Asik is unproven.

It has nothing to do with Noah's value relative to Bosh, it has everything to do with getting these guys and still being able to field a championship caliber defense. It would be difficult to fufill their championship potential with no one to guard Dwight or the Bynum/Gasol duo.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
The problem with trading Noah is your interior defense takes a major hit and you wouldn't have the money to replace him.

Two max players plus either Deng or Hedo (which pretty much have to be involved) puts you right up against the cap. That means your interior defense is left to Bosh, Gibson and probably Asik. Can any of those guys guard NBA centers right now? Bosh has proven that he can't, Gibson is too small and Asik is unproven.

It has nothing to do with Noah's value relative to Bosh, it has everything to do with getting these guys and still being able to field a championship caliber defense. It would be difficult to fufill their championship potential with no one to guard Dwight or the Bynum/Gasol duo.

I'd rather deal with that problem than deal with not getting LeBron, Wade, or Bosh.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)

I think a lot of us are a lot more concerned with getting superstar players than inside defense.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:02 AM)
I think a lot of us are a lot more concerned with getting superstar players than inside defense.

Worse case you get the interior defense a year from now with the mid-level. Or deal Deng for a guard/forward and a center.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
Well if LBJ stays in Cleveland, than the best case is that Bosh goes to Cleveland because it likely forces Wade to think about leaving Miami because he'd have no chance to win without jumping ship.

But I think Wade cares a lot about money. All of these guys do and don't pretend for one minute that they don't. And I don't blame em for it either.

Well, I'd say the best case would be for Bosh to land here and then us get Wade, thus making us the best team in the East and not creating a superpower in Cleveland.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
I'd rather deal with that problem than deal with not getting LeBron, Wade, or Bosh.

That depends on if you assume getting Bosh means you automatically get Lebron or Wade, which may or may not be the case. If it is, fine, though you'd still probably be a 2/3 seed and out without adding another big unless the matchups fall extremely well. If it isn't, adding just Bosh makes you better but not a real threat until you fill that hole and/or find a decent option at shooting guard.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
You have to have both, otherwise you're not winning anything.

But the superstars are far more important right now. You can worry about the interior defense later.

@KCJHoop - Bulls still taking to Raptors. http://bit.ly/agzTJz

The Bulls have had consistent dialogue with the Raptors regarding sign-and-trade possibilities to land Chris Bosh, according to league sources.

Whether the Bulls are at the top of the list is unknown. ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reported Tuesday morning that the Raptors have told the Cavaliers they are open to signing-and-trading Bosh to them.

That, of course, would significantly increase the Cavaliers' chances of retaining LeBron James if it's true. League sources couldn't immediately independently confirm Broussard's report.

The Raptors have made clear their desire for Joakim Noah in sign-and-trade talks with the Bulls, who have resisted those efforts. The Bulls have proposed a package involving Taj Gibson, multiple first-round draft picks and a trade exception.

Most leaguewide speculation has centered on Bosh either wanting to play with James or Dwyane Wade, whose appearance at a charity event Tuesday in South Florida was canceled.

One issue with Bosh going to the Cavaliers is he currently would have to play center, a position he has said he would prefer avoiding. The only way Bosh can receive a six-year, $125 million contact is via a sign-and-trade.

Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo told reporters in Toronto on Monday that he may or may not participate in sign-and-trade. However, teams pursuing Bosh believe that's merely a smokescreen and continue dialogue with the Raptors.

In other free-agency news, former Bulls guard Chris Duhon verbally agreed to a four-year, $15 million deal with the Magic. The Tribune reported that new coach Tom Thibodeau had performed background work on Duhon as a possible addition to the Bulls.