NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
Well, I'd say the best case would be for Bosh to land here and then us get Wade, thus making us the best team in the East and not creating a superpower in Cleveland.

It all depends. I don't quite think we'd ever see Bosh/Wade in Chicago. It would be too difficult, imo. You'd have to get both teams to agree to S&T's (so both guys are paid max deals). If that doesn't happen, you'd only get one because I don't see either of them coming and being paid less than the other, imo.

And the next question would be what would we have to give up in these S&T's.

On a sidenote, it appears that the Bulls will be doing a S&T with Phoenix regarding Hakeem Warrick. Sounds like we will get a draft pick (2nd rounder) plus a trade exception of around $4M.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
But the superstars are far more important right now. You can worry about the interior defense later.

You really can't, otherwise you may never fix the issue. Their flexibility is going to be shot after this year if you sign those guys, and finding a legit big man with the MLE is a very difficult task. They're probably better off keeping Noah and just getting one of them than getting both and losing him in that scenario, it would give them a more well-rounded team and they'd still have two legit scorers.

I would love it if the Bulls landed Bosh though. I think it would significantly increase our chances of something bigger happening. I really wonder if LBJ left, would Cleveland really just let him walk or would they finally go with a S&T so they wouldn't be left completely dry.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
You really can't, otherwise you may never fix the issue. Their flexibility is going to be shot after this year if you sign those guys, and finding a legit big man with the MLE is a very difficult task. They're probably better off keeping Noah and just getting one of them than getting both and losing him in that scenario, it would give them a more well-rounded team and they'd still have two legit scorers.

The problem is that they're going to have issues getting anyone if they don't trade Noah for Bosh.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
It's a lot easier to find interior defense than superstar players.

It's not THAT much easier. How many good defensive big men are you going to be able to find for the MLE? Keep in mind that guys like Amir Johnson and Drew Gooden are getting MLE-level contracts.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
I would love it if the Bulls landed Bosh though. I think it would significantly increase our chances of something bigger happening. I really wonder if LBJ left, would Cleveland really just let him walk or would they finally go with a S&T so they wouldn't be left completely dry.

There's no way they would do a S&T.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
It's not THAT much easier. How many good defensive big men are you going to be able to find for the MLE? Keep in mind that guys like Amir Johnson and Drew Gooden are getting MLE-level contracts.

How far did Ben Wallace and good interior defense get you in 06-07?

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)

The question is, is it worth dealing Noah and risking only getting Bosh? Because if you don't include Noah, you don't get Bosh. And if you don't get Bosh, you risk getting none of the big three. And if you get none of the big three, you're basically irrelevant for at least a few years, if not longer.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)

Haywood for instance some people will get a contract averaging $10M a season once he signs.

LeBrontoChicago Al Jef,Love,Flynn, Brewer is WAYYY better than the current cavs roster. LMAO hope lebron realizes that.

Really...really?

It might be a young squad, but the Twolves were atrocious. The Cavs aren't a playoff team without LBJ but I'm not going to even pretend that Lebron in Minny would be a better team than Lebron's Cavs of last year (w/Jamison, Varajo, Mo Williams, Hellickson, etc).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
How far did Ben Wallace and good interior defense get you in 06-07?

About as far as having Bosh with no interior defense has gotten the Raptors the last few years. :unsure:

As I said, you NEED both to have any kind if real success.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
The question is, is it worth dealing Noah and risking only getting Bosh? Because if you don't include Noah, you don't get Bosh. And if you don't get Bosh, you risk getting none of the big three. And if you get none of the big three, you're basically irrelevant for at least a few years, if not longer.

You are just more reliant on having Rose develop into a superstar and hoping that we can find another guy via draft or eventually via FA who can score too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
You are just more reliant on having Rose develop into a superstar and hoping that we can find another guy via draft or eventually via FA who can score too.

Rose may develop into a superstar, but that's not a sure thing. And the odds of finding the help he needs to win a championship are very low if you strikeout here. You're going to be picking mid 1st round every year, and legit free agency help that really boosts a team just isn't there all that often.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)

If you just get Bosh for Noah, you're in roughly the same spot, winning 40-something games and losing to Orlando or Cleveland. It makes no sense unless you're GUARANTEED to get Lebron or Wade as well, even then you're going to need to fill some holes to win since you'd have Phoenix Suns level defense inside.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)
If you just get Bosh for Noah, you're in roughly the same spot, winning 40-something games and losing to Orlando or Cleveland. It makes no sense unless you're GUARANTEED to get Lebron or Wade as well, even then you're going to need to fill some holes to win since you'd have Phoenix Suns level defense inside.

I agree with this the Bosh for Noah point. But what if I can't guarantee you Lebron or Wade, but can saying making the Bosh for Noah based deal gives you a very good chance at them? How good must the chance be before you say yes? Does it have to be a guarantee? What if it gives you a non guaranteed but very good chance? These are some of the potential questions that the Bulls might be dealing with.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
Really...really?

It might be a young squad, but the Twolves were atrocious. The Cavs aren't a playoff team without LBJ but I'm not going to even pretend that Lebron in Minny would be a better team than Lebron's Cavs of last year (w/Jamison, Varajo, Mo Williams, Hellickson, etc).

Perhaps in reference to if you added 'Bron, maybe. But who the f*** wants to play in Minnesota.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)

Rose + Gibson + Bosh + Haywood + Ray Allen + fillers is winning you 50+ games and puts you there with any team in the East.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:25 AM)
Perhaps in reference to if you added 'Bron, maybe. But who the f*** wants to play in Minnesota.

As Chris Rock once said, "the only black people in Minnesota are Prince and Kirby Puckett".

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
Rose + Gibson + Bosh + Haywood + Ray Allen + fillers is winning you 50+ games and puts you there with any team in the East.

You left out Luol Deng, who hurts your flexibility quite a bit.

You're very unlikely to sign both Haywood and Allen for the $14-15 mil you'd have left under the cap.