NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
I don't think LeBron gives a crap.

I can safely say I have no idea what LeBron has going on in his head. Im trying to think about this in the most basic way for each scenario.

Cleveland- IMO cant be an option at this point

Chicago-Rose/Noah, Big market, hed be "the guy", max contract, money for another piece

Miami-perennial super team, would never be his team, not max money, no depth

New York- He likes the city, Amari, potential for Mello

New Jersey-huge Jay Z fan, likes the Russians accent, some good young players with Harris, Lopez, Brooklyn down the road

I know Im biased but this seems like such a no brainer its ridiculous. As someone said earlier, LeBron and Boozer in Chicago would make for an awesome rivalry with Miami and IMO Chicago would easily have the upper hand.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
I can safely say I have no idea what LeBron has going on in his head. Im trying to think about this in the most basic way for each scenario.

Cleveland- IMO cant be an option at this point

Chicago-Rose/Noah, Big market, hed be "the guy", max contract, money for another piece

Miami-perennial super team, would never be his team, not max money, no depth

New York- He likes the city, Amari, potential for Mello

New Jersey-huge Jay Z fan, likes the Russians accent, some good young players with Harris, Lopez, Brooklyn down the road

I know Im biased but this seems like such a no brainer its ridiculous. As someone said earlier, LeBron and Boozer in Chicago would make for an awesome rivalry with Miami and IMO Chicago would easily have the upper hand.

I think this is the problem, as Steve notes. We're all assuming Lebron is a rational human being. He's led by a bunch of 24-25 year old kids. Some of the reports from the presentations basically said this. The fact that someone advised Lebron to due a ONE HOUR special on ESPN to make his decision has to be one of the worst PR moves in sports history. He either (1) stabs Cleveland in the face, on national TV, and becomes public enemy #1 or (2) just pissed off 3-4 other major cities. Either way, he's drawing a ton of negative attention to his decision.

Meh, I can't blame LBJ for doing the TV thing. Like it or not, it's a media moment.

The reporters were going to be hanging out in front of his house for hours with locals chanting for him to stay, etc., anyway.

All they're doing is organizing and controlling the process rather than letting it turn into mayhem.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
For some reason, I just thought of the Bulls on the defensive end versus the Heat next year and how we would be able to match up pretty decent on them. Joakim can take Bosh, Deng on Beasley and Hinrich would be able to stop Wade as always, oh wait.....

Well, trade didnt technically go through yet, jussayin

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
Meh, I can't blame LBJ for doing the TV thing.

The reporters were going to be hanging out in front of his house for hours with locals chanting for him to stay, etc., anyway.

All they're doing is organizing and controlling the process rather than letting it turn into mayhem.

He needed an hour?

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
Meh, I can't blame LBJ for doing the TV thing.

a press conference is one thing, an hour long special is another

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
a press conference is one thing, an hour long special is another

Once ESPN got involved, you know it's going to drag out to an hour.

It will be full of commercials. They'll have people talking about Wade/Bosh, etc., too.

More FA chatter;

Bosh And The HEAT?: ESPN's Chris Broussard is reporting that sources close to Chris Bosh are saying the free agent has all but agreed to join Dwyane Wade in Miami and that after the LeBron James shoe drops on Thursday, an agreement could be coming shortly after.

Sources close to Bosh have said for weeks that Chris was not leaving money on the table so the next step after reaching an agreement would be to finalize a sign and trade with the Toronto Raptors to insure Bosh gets his maximum dollar value.

Toronto has expressed reluctance in the remaining pieces of Miami's roster – Michael Beasley, Mario Chalmers and Joel Anthony. With Raptors sources saying that they are not interested in a bunch of roster players in return for Bosh, they would rather get a large Traded Player Exception in return. Miami can make that happen if its only Bosh and Wade and use their other roster pieces to fill out the team.

Al Jefferson To The Mavs?: The Minnesota Timberwolves have been trying to off-load Al Jefferson for several weeks, and word is they have had more than a passing discussion with the Dallas Mavericks about a deal that would send the non-guaranteed contract of Erick Dampier to the Timberwolves in exchange for Jefferson.

The Wolves could immediately waive Dampier and clear his $13 million 2010-2011 salary from their books and gain additional salary cap space to potentially sign David Lee or Charlotte's Tyrus Thomas.

David Lee has been talking regularly with Chicago, Miami and even Phoenix. Lee met with the Timberwolves last weekend and talks about a deal have continued since that meeting.

Lee is expected to come off the market pretty quickly once things fall into place on Thursday when deals can be officially signed.

Luke Ridnour And The Knicks? : Bucks' reserve guard Luke Ridnour is in demand, especially with such a small point guard class. Ridnour has continued to talk with the Milwaukee Bucks who reached a couple of early deals in free agency, but it is looking more likely that Ridnour could be leaving Milwaukee and has been linked recently to the New York Knicks.

The Knicks were scheduled to meet with Bobcats' guard Raymond Felton but recently cancelled the meeting, suggesting that the Knicks could have reached a deal with Ridnour or may be committing their money elsewhere.

Kwame To The Celtics: The Boston Celtics seem to have a thing for former Piston players… word is that the Celtics have been talking with free agent Kwame Brown and Cavalier free agent Shaquille O'Neal and could be willing to offer one of them their full mid-level exception.

The Celtics have real concerns about their front court, especially with Kendrick Perkins coming off a major knee injury and there was talk he may not be ready for training camp.

Celtics' president Danny Ainge was not very chatty in Orlando this week, but is trying to work out a new deal with free agent Ray Allen.

Sources close to the situation said this week that talks were progressing, but that Ray is not in any hurry to make a deal, realizing that teams that strike out on LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and the like are going to have to spend their money somewhere and while money is not a huge factor for Ray Allen, gaining a long term deal is.

The Celtics have been shopping the contract of Rasheed Wallace, who has said he will retire.

That contract in essence would clear about $6.6 million in cap room for the team that has him when he files his papaerwork and would allow the Celtics to basically use his dollars in a sign and trade.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
I'm going to be pissed off if we trade Jefferson as just a salary dump and then sign David Lee.

Kevin Love is almost another David Lee, it would make zero sense. They should dump Jefferson to us. :)

LeBron can certainly sign with the Heat, but I hope he understand that means he officially will never be Michael Jordan, or even Kobe Bryant. Signing with Miami would do more damage to his brand even than showing how much of an egomaniac he is lately has. But at this point, it wouldn't surprise me. The only thing that could surprise me is if he signs with the Bulls.

Assuming Lebron announces somebody other than Chicago tomorrow, Gar and Pax should both be fired. But this is Jerry Reinsdorf, so I'm not counting on it. I also wouldn't go out and overpay for mediocrity and use up a bunch of payroll on Carlos Boozer or David Lee. But they'll probably do that to try and save face, even though face can't be saved at this point. It's just like 10 years ago, the Bulls a free agent and general laughingstock. The only reason we're not one of the worst teams in the league right now is Derrick Rose was handed to us by the NBA in a probable fix. But we couldn't even make that worth something.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
They said something interesting on Sportscenter about Wade just being a recruting tool for the Heat and meeting with teams just to take that information back to the Heat. What a bulls*** f***ing move. f*** Wade.

It's the fault of nobody but the Bulls if Wade hustled them. Shame on the Bulls for buying it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
LeBron can certainly sign with the Heat, but I hope he understand that means he officially will never be Michael Jordan, or even Kobe Bryant. Signing with Miami would do more damage to his brand even than showing how much of an egomaniac he is lately has. But at this point, it wouldn't surprise me. The only thing that could surprise me is if he signs with the Bulls.

Assuming Lebron announces somebody other than Chicago tomorrow, Gar and Pax should both be fired. But this is Jerry Reinsdorf, so I'm not counting on it. I also wouldn't go out and overpay for mediocrity and use up a bunch of payroll on Carlos Boozer or David Lee. But they'll probably do that to try and save face, even though face can't be saved at this point. It's just like 10 years ago, the Bulls a free agent and general laughingstock. The only reason we're not maybe the worst team in the league right now is Derrick Rose was handed to us by the NBA in a probable fix. But we couldn't even make that worth something.

Eh, having Magic, Kareem, and Worthy on the same teams didn't hurt any of them. The Celtics and Lakers piled up hall of famers on their rosters in the 70's and 80's and nobody will deny Larry Bird, Magic, or Kareem of being one of the top 10 players in history. If the Heat win 2 or 3 titles, Lebron-Wade-Bosh will clearly be the pecking order.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)

Assuming Lebron announces somebody other than Chicago tomorrow, Gar and Pax should both be fired. But this is Jerry Reinsdorf, so I'm not counting on it. I also wouldn't go out and overpay for mediocrity and use up a bunch of payroll on Carlos Boozer or David Lee. But they'll probably do that to try and save face, even though face can't be saved at this point. It's just like 10 years ago, the Bulls a free agent and general laughingstock. The only reason we're not one of the worst teams in the league right now is Derrick Rose was handed to us by the NBA in a probable fix. But we couldn't even make that worth something.

this post really captured my feelings. well done.

Just for the record, I hate Wade. He is the one that mainly screwed over the Bulls, not the front office (who did just about everything right).

**** Dywane Wade and his idiotic spelling of his first name.

Have to hold out hope for LeBron at this point.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
So for someone like me that hasn't followed as closely as most of you guys, what exactly, if anything, did the Bulls do wrong?

Well we don't know everything they did wrong for sure. But it sounds like the two biggest mistakes were buying into the relevance of William Wesley in LeBron's circle and not securing Chris Bosh first (even if it took giving up the almighty Joakim Noah) to take away Wade's options in Miami in terms of getting help. Acquring Bosh early on also would have made Chicago an even more attractive spot.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
Eh, having Magic, Kareem, and Worthy on the same teams didn't hurt any of them. The Celtics and Lakers piled up hall of famers on their rosters in the 70's and 80's and nobody will deny Larry Bird, Magic, or Kareem of being one of the top 10 players in history. If the Heat win 2 or 3 titles, Lebron-Wade-Bosh will clearly be the pecking order.

LeBron can be Magic, Kareem, or Worthy in Miami. But he'll never be able to become Jordan or even Kobe Bryant. If he's happy with that, as well as being the 2nd most popular player on his own team, always having 1 less ring than Wade, and taking a big ego hit, go to Miami and win some rings.