NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
Amar'e's knees aren't going to last. I agree that Boozer is fools good and Amar'e would have been good with Rose, but he's still a major health risk that doesn't defend (he did a little last year, but he'll go back to not even pretending to care about it now that he got paid) and doesn't rebound as much as he should.

Yeah there's risks absolutely, but the Bulls could end up with either Lee or Boozer instead and not be paying much less. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

The question is: with all of this happening, will LeBron leave Cleveland? He had two very good teams he needed to get by before all of this in Boston and Orlando. Now he's got a third. If he cares about winning a championship at all, he should probably GTFO unless the Cavs told him they're going to sign Chris Paul or something.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
their best bet is to be a suck-fest this year and try and get a top 5 pick... ugly option, but in the NBA it's the way it has to go sometimes.

But can the Bulls suck that bad with our current roster? Sadly, we are going to need some luck to get out of this hole we are suddenly in. Rose type luck.

More news;

ESPN's Chris Broussard, who broke the Chris Bosh - Dwyane Wade-to-Miami story, called the Miami Heat the 'clear frontrunner' to land LeBron James.

Broussard also said he might change his mind in an hour, and that he still didn't know if LeBron was going to Miami or not. Broussard has been as connected as anyone to what's going on in free agency, and while nothing is set in stone, this is just another piece of LeBron news that is going to make the city of Cleveland lose sleep on Wednesday night.

With news that Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade will join the Heat, the Bulls will set their sites on Carlos Boozer and David Lee.

The Bulls are reeling after losing out on Wade and Bosh, and it sounds like LeBron's decision is down to the Heat and Cavaliers. Boozer and Lee are real possibilities for the Bulls, and you have to think they'll land at least one of them.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
But can the Bulls suck that bad with our current roster? Sadly, we are going to need some luck to get out of this hole we are suddenly in. Rose type luck.

Exactly, which is why regardless of if the Bulls handled this well or not, they're screwed for a long time now.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
I'd be pretty suprised if LBJ doesn't either stay with Cleveland or go to the Knicks tomorrow.

I could easily see that happening, would be a bad move IMO for this year at least, but I don't see how he wins a championship with the Cavs, but he'd be rolling the dice on other guys actually going there.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
I agree. If LBJ was coming to Chicago, Bosh would be too.

Exactly. And as much as Chris Broussard is telling us he's going to Miami, I just can't see LeBron's ego allowing that to happen. Could they even afford to pay him a full boat?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
I don't think there's any doubt, especially if Asik is joining the Bulls. Noah and Asik will provide fantastic defense in the post, and Boozer would be a great rebounder and solid scorer. Bulls would be able to compete with anyone in the East in my eyes.

Rose

Allen

Deng

Boozer

Noah

That's nasty.

I agree. The Bulls have to pull off Boozer + Allen and they can still be legit (assuming LeBron to Cleveland).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
No, but he offers a lot more on the offensive end than Boozer does.

And at least Amare is bigger also, which in Thibodeau's defensive system would be a big advantage.

This is an area that I have to disagree a little.

Both guys are career 54% shooters, and Boozer offers a better low-post game while Amare can step out and hit jumpers. Amar'e might be an inch taller, but Boozer is at least 15-20 pounds thicker and is almost impossible to move inside. Both guys are atrocious defensively, and Amar'e is only a little less than a year younger than Boozer.

Both guys have had their injury troubles, but Amar'e relying on his athleticism would bother me more than Boozer and his bulk usage. Not to mention that Boozer will actually pass the ball out of the post for an open jumper.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
Exactly. And as much as Chris Broussard is telling us he's going to Miami, I just can't see LeBron's ego allowing that to happen. Could they even afford to pay him a full boat?

If they dumped Beasley's $5.0 mil they would have exactly $16.6 mil to pay LeBron's max contract. That's with no S&T for Bosh.

Ha.

Byron Scott should be the coach of this team. I guess I'll restart the countdown until the day that John Paxson, Gar Forman and Tom Thibodeau are all fired. I wish Paxson was gone a long time ago. Hopefully this epic failure will finally push him over the edge.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)

I think they have to clear some more room because I can't see him signing for less than Bosh did. This is why, knowing what we know at this minute, I would be surprised if he's going to Miami because once you start involving a second team for the S & T that opens it up to more leaks and I think something would have popped about a S & T.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
If they dumped Beasley's $5.0 mil they would have exactly $16.6 mil to pay LeBron's max contract. That's with no S&T for Bosh.

Ok, so it's theoretically feasible. I still can't see LeBron's ego allowing it to happen though. He'd be tied for 2nd on his own team in salary at best, and never have a shot at being the superstar with the most rings on his own team. Goes against everything he's ever done to agree to that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
I agree. The Bulls have to pull off Boozer + Allen and they can still be legit (assuming LeBron to Cleveland).

Unfortunately for the Bulls, I don't think Allen's a possibility. His son has a rare case of diabeties or something like that, that's going to keep Allen around his northeastern home. Unlike Wade...

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
This is an area that I have to disagree a little.

Both guys are career 54% shooters, and Boozer offers a better low-post game while Amare can step out and hit jumpers. Amar'e might be an inch taller, but Boozer is at least 15-20 pounds thicker and is almost impossible to move inside. Both guys are atrocious defensively, and Amar'e is only a little less than a year younger than Boozer.

Both guys have had their injury troubles, but Amar'e relying on his athleticism would bother me more than Boozer and his bulk usage. Not to mention that Boozer will actually pass the ball out of the post for an open jumper.

Yeah Boozer's strictly a low post guy, while I think Amare's more of a face up, roll to the basket / pick and roll type of offensive player.

And the Bulls desperately need a low post threat, they've been crying out for one for a decade or so.

But I'd be a little worried at Boozer's numbers this season in a contract year also. Last season he really struggled, and so many people in Utah wanted him out, albeit he only played 37 games.

He's certainly not worth max money, but he'll probably get a 5 year deal at around $14M a season or so, I would have thought, maybe more.

Wow, this thread has taken a pathetic turn. Demanding personnel changes because they couldnt lure in a free agent that has several options? It's amazing to me how many of you were personally in on every meeting and know exactly what the Bulls brass offered to the players and any teams in a trade scenario, if only you all could have posted that stuff on twitter over the last week then maybe some accurate info would have actually been out there.

I assume most of the comments are people's way of venting their frustration, but at the end of the day, the people that work for the Bulls front office are MUCH more disappointed than you if they come out of this with nothing. They gave it a good shot, made the moves they had to make and gave the players their pitch. These guys are adults and have the ability to choose their fate and where they want to play. If you think a powerpoint presentation or what suits our guys were wearing had any bearing on their decisions than I hope you actually get a job someday and have to sell someone on something.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
Make me feel a little better about not getting Bosh:

sportsguy33 Chris Bosh: 7 seasons, 1 2nd-team All-NBA, 0 All-D's, 5 lotteries. Career: 211-320. Playoffs: 3-8. No more calling him a "superstar" please.

Have you seen the talent he's had around him for those 7 seasons though?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
Ha.

Byron Scott should be the coach of this team. I guess I'll restart the countdown until the day that John Paxson, Gar Forman and Tom Thibodeau are all fired. I wish Paxson was gone a long time ago. Hopefully this epic failure will finally push him over the edge.

Thibbs hasnt even coached ONE game and you want him fired. Hilarious.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
I don't think there's any doubt, especially if Asik is joining the Bulls. Noah and Asik will provide fantastic defense in the post, and Boozer would be a great rebounder and solid scorer. Bulls would be able to compete with anyone in the East in my eyes.

Rose

Allen

Deng

Boozer

Noah

That's nasty.

Why would Ray Allen leave the Celtics, the team he's won a championship with and feels confortable with, to come to the Bulls? To play with Carlos Boozer, and Luol Deng? And do you really think that this team would compete with Cleveland, Miami or Boston? I don't think so.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
Wow, this thread has taken a pathetic turn. Demanding personnel changes because they couldnt lure in a free agent that has several options? It's amazing to me how many of you were personally in on every meeting and know exactly what the Bulls brass offered to the players and any teams in a trade scenario, if only you all could have posted that stuff on twitter over the last week then maybe some accurate info would have actually been out there.

I assume most of the comments are people's way of venting their frustration, but at the end of the day, the people that work for the Bulls front office are MUCH more disappointed than you if they come out of this with nothing. They gave it a good shot, made the moves they had to make and gave the players their pitch. These guys are adults and have the ability to choose their fate and where they want to play. If you think a powerpoint presentation or what suits our guys were wearing had any bearing on their decisions than I hope you actually get a job someday and have to sell someone on something.

So it's not the Bulls fault they came up empty here? I mean, yeah we're venting our frustrations, and I agree that you can't make anybody come here. But the Bulls are going absolutely nowhere anytime soon now, and regardless of how good of a shot they gave it, this has been a completely failure. And just sitting there and saying oh well isn't good enough.

Edited by whitesoxfan101