NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
Well this is definitely true. I think the bigger problem the NBA has is lack of competitive balance though. There are just so man teams that don't matter, makes it hard to keep fans interested.

Have to disagree again there.

Cleveland was craptacular before LeBron. Atlanta was horrible for a long time before finally getting a few solid drafts in a row as well as Joe Johnson.

Many of the teams that are garbage right now, were major contenders not even 10 years ago. Sacramento, Philadelphia, Detroit, New York, Indiana, Houston, etc were all relevant not too long ago. All it takes is the correct draft pick, or correct free agent signing and you can have your franchise in contention again.

Boston wasn't relevant for many, many years before acquiring KG. The Lakers were nothing from the time Magic retired to the time Kobe and Shaq were acquired. Orlando had nothing going for them from the time the Shaq and Penny era ended until Dwight Howard was drafted.

There's no reason a team built around Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah wouldn't be a title contender in a year or two.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
And baseball and even hockey. The NBA is the only sport where you can pretty much predict what's going to happen before it actually happens.

Exactly. Everybody knows about football competitive balance, but hockey now is not far behind in that regard with the hard cap it has. Even with baseball, there are tons of teams that stay in the race with the wild card, and has had 8 different franchises win the World Series the last 9 years.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 05:34 PM)
Just saying that people in Miami don't give a s***.

How so. Because the United Center can fit more people in its building than the American Airlines Arena?

Who cares, Miami with Wade/Bosh/Beasely may be better today, but for how many years in the future?

I had a feeling this is how it would go down when the Bulls didnt go nuts after Bosh. There was no way to keep all 3 happy, and I feel the bulls tried to hold out for the biggest fish.

The real killer may have been Amare. If Lebron goes to NYK, it had everything to do with them snatching up Amare and giving Lebron a real scenario, instead of the Bulls "dream" scenarios.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
How so. Because the United Center can fit more people in its building than the American Airlines Arena?

The Heat had problems selling out playoff games against the Celtics this year. The fact that their fans suck is irrelevant though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:35 AM)
Wade basically just said that Bosh drove him to Miami. I don't buy that s*** for a second.

Wade, Chicago hates you now.

Bulls***. Just tell the truth "Money talks, especially when you are getting divorced, so I went where I could get the most money, just like I had always planned on doing"

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
Who cares, Miami with Wade/Bosh/Beasely may be better today, but for how many years in the future?

I had a feeling this is how it would go down when the Bulls didnt go nuts after Bosh. There was no way to keep all 3 happy, and I feel the bulls tried to hold out for the biggest fish.

The real killer may have been Amare. If Lebron goes to NYK, it had everything to do with them snatching up Amare and giving Lebron a real scenario, instead of the Bulls "dream" scenarios.

They did. He chose to go somewhere else. End of story.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)

LeBron going to NY would be a money grab. The Bulls still have a way better team even with Amar'e there.

AdamZagoria

"I'm a winner. Dwyane's a winner and we're gonna bring winning to Miami." -- CBosh

Chris, you are f***ing over 100 games under .500 on your career. I'm actually pretty glad we didn't get this turd. Give me Boozer and a solid SG and we'll see what happens.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
The Heat now have two of the top 10 players in basketball on the same team. There's no way to spin that into a negative. They'll fill out the roster and are now the prohibitive favorites in the east.

right now they are the top team...tomorrow at 9 there could be a new top team though

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
Just saying that people in Miami don't give a s***.

??

2010: 15th, 439 fans away from 9th place.

2009: 15th, 1,000 away from 7th place.

2008: 8th, 99.3% capacity.

2007: 5th, 100.6% capacity

2006: 4th, 101.8% capacity

2005: 4th, 101.4% capacity

Heat fans are no worse than average NBA fans now. When I first started watching the Heat in the 90's, the stadium was half full on any given night. Hell, before 2005 the Heat had trouble drawing crowds. But that all changed with the title, surprise, surprise.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
The Heat now have two of the top 10 players in basketball on the same team. There's no way to spin that into a negative. They'll fill out the roster and are now the prohibitive favorites in the east.

Bosh is not a top 10 guy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
Dude, outside of college football, Miami is a horrible sports town. This has been fact for years.

They'll get behind the Heat now though, just like they did when they won the championship a few years back, call it bandwagon fans or whatever.

But clearly Bosh didn't pick Miami over Chicago because Chicago had the better roster or it's a bigger "sports town". The lifestyle, warmer weather, no state income tax, and the chance to play with 2 other max FA's potentially sealed the deal.