NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:57 AM)
No offense, but this is why Chicago fans are considered meatballs, that post is so unbelievably nonobjective it's hilarious. Stop acting like his other choices are chopped liver, seriously, and those f***ing SendLebrontoChicago twitters, jesus christ I want to stab my eyes out when I read them.

It's not about being a Chicago fan. If you flipped say the Knicks roster and payroll with ours, I would be arguing that NYC would be the correct destination for him because it's the best situation to win while being "the man" and have all the side benefits too. If the Bulls only had Amar'e and Gallinari, I would be saying that he would be an idiot to come here with better choices available to him.

I never said the other choices were chopped liver. It's pretty clear that each place has its benefits and disadvantages.

You and Heads can commence eye-stabbing.

meatwad_dancing.gif

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:08 AM)
My last prediction: Lebron to the Heat. And this is the main reason why... http://twitter.com/chrisbosh/status/17553214058

I think it's been planned for some time now, just needed the details to be ironed out.

well poop. that and gail on comcast wrecked my day. :(

Edited by Nyx81

Just so everyone doesnt poop themselves today, remember: ANYTHING reported by ESPN today is severely compromised due to them having the press conference tonight. I firmly believe that ONLY James will know where he is going when he steps up to the mic. At best, a few of his closest confidants will know.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:08 AM)
My last prediction: Lebron to the Heat. And this is the main reason why... http://twitter.com/chrisbosh/status/17553214058

I think it's been planned for some time now, just needed the details to be ironed out.

I think they are just messing with our heads.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 07:20 AM)
Marcin Gortat said on Polish TV today that there is a big chance he will be changing teams. TTFWIW

One of my employees just asked me about that too, said he heard it on the radio. There has been talk about him to the Bulls.

initially, i thought rick reilly and his cronies were a bunch of turds when they came out against online blogs like deadspin and ripping them for not having any journalistic integrity, poor writing form, and posting sources without confirming them through sources....

however, with the advent of this twitter bulls*** people can just spew whatever "rumor" they hear and the public is taking it as truth, and reilly has a point...its getting ridiculous separating the 99.9% of bulls*** out there from the .1% of truth

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)
Marcin Gortat said on Polish TV today that there is a big chance he will be changing teams. TTFWIW

It's been mooted since the start of the off-season after we drafted Orton (albeit Orton is very, very raw).

I think he'll end up at Dallas or Denver myself.

We'd probably want a SF in return considering Matt Barnes probably won't be back.

Linus Kleiza just signed a 4/20 offer sheet with Toronto as well.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 08:42 AM)
I really have no idea what to believe anymore. These reports of Lebron to Miami seem a bit more legitimate, but just seems like a very awkward time to be released. Lebron has been so quiet about everything but all of the sudden, 18 hours before the announcement, everyone knows he's going to the Heat?

Like I've told a couple others, there are 2 things giving me hope still for the Bulls:

1. The Bulls have been silent about everything. Lebron has been silent about everything.

2. Boozer was signed VERY quickly and never gave the Nets a chance to match. And he didn't get top dollar, instead leaving enough to ensure that another max contract could be afforded.

Regarding Boozer, it had been said earlier he was hoping to come to chicago for a while. Boozer has really big biceps.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 08:04 AM)
initially, i thought rick reilly and his cronies were a bunch of turds when they came out against online blogs like deadspin and ripping them for not having any journalistic integrity, poor writing form, and posting sources without confirming them through sources....

however, with the advent of this twitter bulls*** people can just spew whatever "rumor" they hear and the public is taking it as truth, and reilly has a point...its getting ridiculous separating the 99.9% of bulls*** out there from the .1% of truth

But it's the regular media that's been spewing the twitter bulls***.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
But it's the regular media that's been spewing the twitter bulls***.

Yep, and the worst part? It doesn't matter! Chip Brown spewed more bulls*** than anyone in that big 12 mess, but sandwiched it with true breaking news. And so now everyone considers him as gospel. Throwing out s*** doesn't seem to hurt these peoples reputation.

am I the only one that thinks that Lebron/Wade/Bosh and no one else isn't automatically the team to beat? I know the differences with Boston, but to me the "big 3" didn't do it on their own, they needed an up and coming all star in Rondo to get over the top. Good? Absolutely. Unbeatable? Hardly.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)
am I the only one that thinks that Lebron/Wade/Bosh and no one else isn't automatically the team to beat? I know the differences with Boston, but to me the "big 3" didn't do it on their own, they needed an up and coming all star in Rondo to get over the top. Good? Absolutely. Unbeatable? Hardly.

I'm with you on this one but how bad is the rest of that team? Do they have anyone worth a darn?

Why would ESPN scoop their own press conference by letting Broussard run with this if it was true? While theyre saying his source is credible, it definitely isnt LeBron himself or Maverick Carter. There have been smoke screens to keep interest from each of the potential fan bases and keep the hope alive in every city.

Obviously none of us know what he is truly thinking but despite all the bs ESPN and the media is spewing there are really only 2 logical destinations that would satisfy the most obvious requirements for someone that has presented themselves the way LeBron has, New York and Chicago. At this point money isnt an issue, he is getting paid anywhere he goes and the endorsements will be there no matter where he plays. LeBron has done nothing to make me assume he can check his ego at the door and go play a role in Wade County. There is an ENORMOUS difference between accumulating rings with other superstars (one of which has won a championship in that city already) and going into a situation where its your team with the right mix of players around you that you can carry to a championship (IE Kobe the past 2 years).

I think a lot of people are underestimating LeBrons opinion of himself. He is coming into his prime right now and isnt at the stage in his career where he needs to piggy back other superstars in a last attempt to get his ring (IE Kevin Garnett). He wants to go down as the GOAT and he simply cant do that from Miami, it simply would never happen. Multiple championships in New York or Chicago immediately gives him notoriety as an all time great. The reason I lump the Knicks with the Bulls is because they already have Stoudemire , they would more then likely add Mello, Chris Paul or Tony Parker. In Pauls/Mellos cases neither has a ring and they would be joining him in NY which is much different then joining Wade in Miami. The Bulls still make the most sense by far and should be his choice. I still think it will be but I guess we will find out tonight.

Edited by DrunkBomber

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
I'm with you on this one but how bad is the rest of that team? Do they have anyone worth a darn?

No. It will be those three guys and a bunch of old guys and nobodys.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)

Beasley, Chalmers, and Joe Anthony are officially the only players on the roster at the moment.

However, Beasley and Chalmers seem likely to be traded somewhere. Joe Anthony is a solid defensive center, might compliment Bosh well.

Jarvis Varnardo, Dexter Pittman, Da'Sean Butler, Patrick Beverly, and Robert Dozier are all 2nd round picks from this year and last that might have roster spots.

Varnardo should provide decent PF minutes with his shot-blocking ability, and Dexter Pittman is very talented for the 20 minutes or so he can give a game. Da'Sean Butler is recovering nicely from his knee injury and will be a solid SF back-up. Beverly is a defensive PG.

I'm expecting the Heat to sign Keyon Dooling to play PG, and Raja Bell to get some SG/SF minutes. I'm also expecting Riley to step back in and coach. He usually has a 8 man rotation at best.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 08:35 AM)
Why would ESPN scoop their own press conference by letting Broussard run with this if it was true? While theyre saying his source is credible, it definitely isnt LeBron himself or Maverick Carter. There have been smoke screens to keep interest from each of the potential fan bases and keep the hope alive in every city.

Obviously none of us know what he is truly thinking but despite all the bs ESPN and the media is spewing there are really only 2 logical destinations that would satisfy the most obvious requirements for someone that has presented themselves the way LeBron has, New York and Chicago. At this point money isnt an issue, he is getting paid anywhere he goes and the endorsements will be there no matter where he plays. LeBron has done nothing to make me assume he can check his ego at the door and go play a role in Wade County. There is an ENORMOUS difference between accumulating rings with other superstars (one of which has won a championship in that city already) and going into a situation where its your team with the right mix of players around you that you can carry to a championship (IE Kobe the past 2 years).

I think a lot of people are underestimating LeBrons opinion of himself. He is coming into his prime right now and isnt at the stage in his career where he needs to piggy back other superstars in a last attempt to get his ring (IE Kevin Garnett). He wants to go down as the GOAT and he simply cant do that from Miami, it simply would never happen. Multiple championships in New York or Chicago immediately gives him notoriety as an all time great. The reason I lump the Knicks with the Bulls is because they already have Stoudemire , they would more then likely add Mello, Chris Paul or Tony Parker. In Pauls/Mellos cases neither has a ring and they would be joining him in NY which is much different then joining Wade in Miami. The Bulls still make the most sense by far and should be his choice. I still think it will be but I guess we will find out tonight.

All makes sense, but his decision could be as simple as appeasing his crew (cleveland) or wanting to play with friends (miami). We've all assumed he's all about legacy and basketball, but maybe he's not.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)

They automatically would be the team to beat. You would have the best player in the NBA, the third best player in the NBA and then another top 10-15 player. It really wouldn't matter who else was on the roster. Yes, the Celtics needed Rondo but LeBron/Wade/Bosh>>>>>>Pierce/Allen/Garnett.

IraHeatBeat

Now Chris Broussard saying on SportsCenter: "It is not a done deal. I'm not ready to say it's a done deal."?

Because it's bulls*** you twit.

LeBron's camp has played everyone throughout all of this. It's Cleveland or Chicago.

Edited by Steve9347