NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
PER is nice advanced stats, but it's not what separates a good player from a bad player. Marrese Speights had a PER of close to 20 in his rookie year, does that mean he is the rookie of the year over Rose?

Kobe's PER is always far from Lebron's, why do people argue Kobe over Lebron? You can't compare two players base on their stats and PER. Stats don't measure intangibles. Yes, Deng and Beasley have similar numbers, but 95% people will tell you they will rather have Deng over Beasley.

the Magic had a great defensive team over the past two seasons, and the guys like Lewis, Carter, Nelson, Turkolu aren't remotely close to being great defensive players. It was all due to Howard's inside presence. Bosh was surrounded by subpar defensive players, but it's no excuse to finish last in the league in defensive efficiency. If you have watched any of the Raptors game, he is not physical defender, not a good help defender, nor does he block shots. He is not a good defender. Period.

OMG I hate intangibles. That along with clutchness have decreased the IQ of sports fans by at least 30-40 points.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
LeBron is moving from the 26th Metro area to the 7th biggest. I'm sure the NBA is all torn up.

He's not moving to one of top three though, which I'm sure they aren't happy about, especially since 2 of them were in play for him. They're happy he's out of Cleveland I'd imagine though.

I do what I want. If I refuse to give up the Lebronasty in Chicago, I refuse to give it up.

I dont care what the reports say, I dont care who's "sources" have told them what.

I just cant imagine Lebron giving up his dreams to be on Miami. Maybe he will, maybe Wade smooth talked him into believe that everyone will think Lebron is the greatest. Or that whats most important is a great team. But I just cant see it. I cant see a guy who wants to be MJ playing the role of the follower.

Ask the question, What would Michael do?

Would Jordan have left the Bulls to play for the Pistons if it meant he would have been guaranteed titles? Would he have played on Thomas's team? Would he have gone to LA to play with Magic and be on Magic's team?

No, Michael wanted to be on Michael's team. And until proven otherwise I believe Lebron wants to be on Lebron's team. And that means he has to call the shots, and it means that if he was going to go to Miami, that he would have announced first. He would not have let Bosh/Wade steal his thunder.

I could be 100% wrong, but I just dont see it.

(edit)

Metro area?

Since when is 7th close to 1 or 3?

Not to mention, since when is Miami considered a good sports town? I mean when I think of Miami I think of great sports franchises with a lot of fan support...

Get real.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
OMG I hate intangibles. That along with clutchness have decreased the IQ of sports fans by at least 30-40 points.

While I agree with you for the most point, it is quite possible to be a bit too far on the other side of the spectrum.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
I'm absolutely not.

Me neither. In fact, i would be FLOORED if he went there. It's a huge head fake. I would say I'd buy a James Heats jersey for everyone here if he actually went to Miami, but on the 1% chance I am wrong... I dont have enough money. lol

I'm not saying he's coming to the Bulls. I just dont think he's going to Miami.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)

People who think stats tell the entire story of a player dont even need to watch games, that alone is retarded.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
I do what I want. If I refuse to give up the Lebronasty in Chicago, I refuse to give it up.

I dont care what the reports say, I dont care who's "sources" have told them what.

I just cant imagine Lebron giving up his dreams to be on Miami. Maybe he will, maybe Wade smooth talked him into believe that everyone will think Lebron is the greatest. Or that whats most important is a great team. But I just cant see it. I cant see a guy who wants to be MJ playing the role of the follower.

Ask the question, What would Michael do?

Would Jordan have left the Bulls to play for the Pistons if it meant he would have been guaranteed titles? Would he have played on Thomas's team? Would he have gone to LA to play with Magic and be on Magic's team?

No, Michael wanted to be on Michael's team. And until proven otherwise I believe Lebron wants to be on Lebron's team. And that means he has to call the shots, and it means that if he was going to go to Miami, that he would have announced first. He would not have let Bosh/Wade steal his thunder.

I could be 100% wrong, but I just dont see it.

That's fine, Badger. But you can say 400 times "He's not going to Miami." That doesn't make it any less so.

So how about we all just wait and see what the man says tonight?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
While I agree with you for the most point, it is quite possible to be a bit too far on the other side of the spectrum.

I don't think they don't exist. I actually think there is clutch hitting, it does exist. But no way in hell does it to the extent some people think it does. Derek Jeter's made a living off of intangibles and clutchness. It's ridiculous.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
Haha that's why I put "most of us". I know there are a few that aren't giving up yet. I'll be watching the show until he announces, so I guess I haven't technically given up either.

I mean don't get me wrong, the odds are absolutely against the Bulls even if I think they have one of the better shots still(if that make sense), I just still don't believe this Miami non sense.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
I don't think they don't exist. I actually think there is clutch hitting, it does exist. But no way in hell does it to the extent some people think it does. Derek Jeter's made a living off of intangibles and clutchness. It's ridiculous.

Ugh, and of course you bring up like the worst example ever.

Aren't Jeter's playoff numbers pretty similar to his career numbers?

I'm too lazy to look, but my belief was just that he has had so many post season opportunities that he just happens to be successful in those opportunities more than anyone else because of the sheer quantity of them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
People who think stats tell the entire story of a player dont even need to watch games, that alone is retarded.

The problem is, you can only watch so much. In a lot of ways, your eyes are the most powerful weapon for talent evaluation, but in a lot of cases, stats are king. For example, would I rather listen to John Kruk talk about how great Torii Hunter is at fielding or should I just look at UZR and conclude that Hunter's been very mediocre for a while now? I'll take the latter, because John Kruk is most likely the illegitimate father of Paul McAnulty.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
I mean don't get me wrong, the odds are absolutely against the Bulls even if I think they have one of the better shots still(if that make sense), I just still don't believe this Miami non sense.

I think its Cleveland. I honestly dont think he likes Wade that much, especially after he took Bosh off the market.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
Ugh, and of course you bring up like the worst example ever.

Aren't Jeter's playoff numbers pretty similar to his career numbers?

I'm too lazy to look, but my belief was just that he has had so many post season opportunities that he just happens to be successful in those opportunities more than anyone else because of the sheer quantity of them.

They're literally the same. Jeter's not clutch, he just hits like he usually does in the playoffs.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
The problem is, you can only watch so much. In a lot of ways, your eyes are the most powerful weapon for talent evaluation, but in a lot of cases, stats are king. For example, would I rather listen to John Kruk talk about how great Torii Hunter is at fielding or should I just look at UZR and conclude that Hunter's been very mediocre for a while now? I'll take the latter, because John Kruk is most likely the illegitimate father of Paul McAnulty.

If they arent related I dont know what is truth.

Intangibles do exist however, but they also influence stats which will be reportable. Michael Jordan's intangibles made him the best player ever, without those, he probably just produces at a high level because of his talent. PLayers can still produce and not have those intangibles. Its those little things that can turn an avg player into a good one or a good one to a great one.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
They're literally the same. Jeter's not clutch, he just hits like he usually does in the playoffs.

Something to consider though in playoffs you are facing more elite pitching so hitting his regular season avg. against elite pitching can in a way be considered clutch :lolhitting