NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
I think he is going to regret his decision to leave. I almost think by watching him tonight that he really isn't confident about this move but did it because his buddies Wade and Bosh really put the pressure on him.

I think he was more uncomfortable about the Cleveland reaction than the idea of picking the wrong team other than the Cavs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
Get the f*** outta here. Do you really believe any of the garbage you just posted?

I'll think Jordan is the greatest player I've ever seen even if James gets his 10 rings. I'm just saying that I think public opinion will not necessarily agree with me, expecially with ESPN working to make sure James is considered the GOAT.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
Meh, I don't see how LeBron is piggy backing..

Hes still the best player on the Heat, whats wrong with a guy wanting to win championships and signing with the team that has the looks of the best shot at that?

Dude just wants to win some rings, I can respect that

without having any clue what the other 9 members of that roster is going to look like a very good argument could be made that the Bulls and even the Nets were a better fit.

They have to meld, none of them could get hurt for an extended period of time, if Wade doesn't change his style he doesn't have years and years left....

look, are they a very good team with those three? Obviously they are, but in no way are they some freight train that is going to run the east much less the West IMO, That Thunder team has a chance to be some bad ass mo-fos really soon

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
expecially with ESPN working to make sure James is considered the GOAT.

It's going to be really hard for them to keep the sales pitch up after this, because people aren't going to want to hear it any more.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:09 PM)
He's still not close to top-25. Hell, I can't think of a single team where he would be their best player (maybe the now craptastic Cavaliers), so that's at least 30.

You are right Zoom, I think he's in the 30-35 range like this article states.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/slamo...mar-odom-no-33/

But once you get past about 18-20 guys, a list becomes very tough to put together.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:37 AM)
That's true. I'm not going to look for the link, but somewhere I saw James question how he'd play with Rose...I think he didn't see a great fit with the Bulls.

Yet he's a terrible fit with Wade as well.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
without having any clue what the other 9 members of that roster is going to look like a very good argument could be made that the Bulls and even the Nets were a better fit.

They have to meld, none of them could get hurt for an extended period of time, if Wade doesn't change his style he doesn't have years and years left....

look, are they a very good team with those three? Obviously they are, but in no way are they some freight train that is going to run the east much less the West IMO, That Thunder team has a chance to be some bad ass mo-fos really soon

The Bulls okay, but the Nets won 12 games last year. That roster is two deep and Devin Harris is injury prone.

People also seem awfully quick to crown OKC as well considering 7 teams in the west had a better record than them and their starting center is Serge Ibaka right now...

Tru,

There is nothing wrong iwth it. I understand Lebron wanting to win, and figuring that if he teams up with great players he has a good shot.

But anyone who has ever considered themselves the best at a profession, sport, etc, will tell you it isnt the same as just going out there, dominating and not going out of your way to play with some one who already is a proven winner.

Its just a mindset, Lebron took the easy way out. That's not what the greatest does in my opinion.

The greatest would have gone on the air, said screw Chicago, screw Miami, Cleveland was the best team last year, they will be the best team this year, and Im going to win a championship if I single handedly have to drag my team there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
It's going to be really hard for them to keep the sales pitch up after this, because people aren't going to want to hear it any more.

and they're not going to be a juggernaut IMO like many people think. I'm not the biggest fan of Simmons humor, but he is an excellent NBA observer, and someone posted pieces of it earlier, but he lays out many of my feelings of why just handing the East to the Heat doesn't make a ton of sense.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
Tru,

There is nothing wrong iwth it. I understand Lebron wanting to win, and figuring that if he teams up with great players he has a good shot.

But anyone who has ever considered themselves the best at a profession, sport, etc, will tell you it isnt the same as just going out there, dominating and not going out of your way to play with some one who already is a proven winner.

Its just a mindset, Lebron took the easy way out. That's not what the greatest does in my opinion.

The greatest would have gone on the air, said screw Chicago, screw Miami, Cleveland was the best team last year, they will be the best team this year, and Im going to win a championship if I single handedly have to drag my team there.

Bernstein said it well today, not knowing 100% it was the Heat, but he said if he went to the heat he takes himself out of the debate for all-time greats with MJ, Magic, etc...

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 03:39 AM)

This is perfect, and I loved when Wilbon asked him if winning a ring in Miami would be as sweet as winning in Cleveland.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
You are right Zoom, I think he's in the 30-35 range like this article states.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/slamo...mar-odom-no-33/

But once you get past about 18-20 guys, a list becomes very tough to put together.

Wow, that list is strange. Ahead of guys like Allen, Lewis and Aldridge? He's easily the 4th best player on his team and I have a very hard time seeing him be the second best player on a 50-win team like those other guys I just mentioned.

Well he is no longer the King in Miami. Maybe the Queen or the Court Jester?

I just don't see how they can fill out the roster with 3 max deals. Their bench is going to be a joke, and if one of these guys gets hurt, they will suck.

when was the last time a team features a SG and a SF who can average 5 assists per game? I dont think the heats would need a starting point guard next season, they would need a three point shooter. Probably like Kyle Korver or JJ Reddick. They will probably operate without a starting point guard next year.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
Well he is no longer the King in Miami. Maybe the Queen or the Court Jester?

I just don't see how they can fill out the roster with 3 max deals. Their bench is going to be a joke, and if one of these guys gets hurt, they will suck.

forget one of them getting hurt, as Simmons pointed out, with a fill in roster those guys are going to have to play crazy minutes.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)

You can sign as many minimum contracts as you want, and they can potentially clear space by trading Beasley for people. They could also potentially get a trade exemption if they did so.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:43 AM)
when was the last time a team features a SG and a SF who can average 5 assists per game? I dont think the heats would need a starting point guard next season, they would need a three point shooter. Probably like Kyle Korver or JJ Reddick. They will probably operate without a starting point guard next year.

And trying a SG or SF at PG just doesn't usually work.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
Bernstein said it well today, not knowing 100% it was the Heat, but he said if he went to the heat he takes himself out of the debate for all-time greats with MJ, Magic, etc...

You do realize that Magic played with 2 other HOF players pretty much his entire career don't you? Didn't hurt Magic or Larry Bird playing with a ton of other HOF players. They were clearly the best players on the floor. Some nights Kareem would take over, or McHale, or Parrish or Worthy etc etc. These arguments are absurd. Michael wouldn't have won s*** without Scottie. There's no reason LeBron won't be the best player on the floor most nights.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
The Bulls okay, but the Nets won 12 games last year. That roster is two deep and Devin Harris is injury prone.

People also seem awfully quick to crown OKC as well considering 7 teams in the west had a better record than them and their starting center is Serge Ibaka right now...

that's an up and coming team, look how much trouble they gave the Lakers in the playoffs