NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:02 AM)
what does l2ms mean?

Not that this matters now, but it does not mean LeBron to Miami soon.

It's something Wade has said several times now, it means laughing to myself.

Sorry, that was bugging me.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:18 AM)
Chances Bosh finishes out his contract with Miami? If this 3-some doesn't work after a few years, you know he will be the odd man out to dump salary and spend on other pieces no matter how good he is playing.

It'll work, now that they're already adding the filler pieces.

The only thing that would stop it is 2 of the 3 getting hurt or the next CBA somehow cracking down hard on this, like limiting a team to 1 maximum value contract.

Miller's an interesting signing, thought they may have gone after a big, but I'll assume they'll try to re-sign Joel Anthony perhaps.

I'm hoping Otis can work some magic and pull off a massive deal at the deadline for something around VC's expiring max contract, Gortat + something for either Melo or CP3. I'd take back Okafor's deal even possibly if it got us CP3.

By the way, for Bulls fans, it's probably worth pointing out that JR's rule for going into the luxury tax is that he would only do so for a team that he thought could win a title. This team can't win a title. They can't win a title if they add another $15 million shooting guard. I don't know if they could win a title if they added Kobe straight up to this roster.

In other words...the Bulls are now sitting there with Boozer on a huge contract, Deng on a huge contract, Noah and Rose bordering on extensions, no SG, and they may well not add on anything major since doing so might push them over the tax level when Noah is extended.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:02 AM)
Here's what I'd like to see:

Trade whatever for Richardson, if you can get him for a trade exception or something, wonderful. Sign Brewer to be your backup shooting guard. Sign Livingston or Ridnour to be your backup PG and fill out the last 3-5 spots with minimum guys from the summer league team.

Rose

Richardson

Deng

Boozer

Noah

Brewer

Gibson

Ridnour/Livingston

Asik

Johnson

MIN

MIN

I like your ideas here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)
By the way, for Bulls fans, it's probably worth pointing out that JR's rule for going into the luxury tax is that he would only do so for a team that he thought could win a title. This team can't win a title. They can't win a title if they add another $15 million shooting guard. I don't know if they could win a title if they added Kobe straight up to this roster.

In other words...the Bulls are now sitting there with Boozer on a huge contract, Deng on a huge contract, Noah and Rose bordering on extensions, no SG, and they may well not add on anything major since doing so might push them over the tax level when Noah is extended.

I agree with all your points about the luxury tax, but if adding Lebron makes the team a title contender, then adding Kobe would undoubtedly make them a contender.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:04 AM)
Beasley traded and Mike MIller signed 5 years 30M. I love it.

Stop rubbing it in already...;)

On a serious note, I have to give the three guys props for realizing they need more than just themselves. That impressed me quite a bit.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:17 AM)
Stop rubbing it in already...;)

On a serious note, I have to give the three guys props for realizing they need more than just themselves. That impressed me quite a bit.

I can rub it in because I'm one of the apparent few that believe the Bulls are title contenders with Boozer and a decent SG. :cheers

Dan Gilbert:

The intensity and smack talking definitely made me laugh, and I completely understand where you are coming from, although you did enable some of it. But I do have one question though. How do you expect to win a title when you just showed every free agent in the NBA that you'll turn on them in a second if they leave Cleveland?? I'm sure they will be on the next flight to Cleveland to join an owner like that.

Lebron...lame. NBA...lame. Miami...lame town. 'The Decision'...as lame as it gets. LeBron officially declared he is a p**** who is afraid to try and win by being the main guy. He is no longer the king, but merely Wade's puppet.

Who cares...I'll be watching the BHawks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
Ok, he needs to shut up too. This is going to be such an easy league to not care about.

It's really pointed out how much of a joke it is to follow the NBA. It's all fun and games until Jordan retires and you're left in NBA hell for the next 12 years with no way out. Think about franchises like Minnesota, Milwaukee, Golden State, Cleveland, who will never stand a chance of winning unless they get three #1 picks in three consecutive years and happen to get lucky and win one before the first #1 overall leaves after year 5.

The league died last night, and the knife is pushed a little deeper with the Miller and Shaq news.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
Dan Gilbert:

The intensity and smack talking definitely made me laugh, and I completely understand where you are coming from, although you did enable some of it. But I do have one question though. How do you expect to win a title when you just showed every free agent in the NBA that you'll turn on them in a second if they leave Cleveland?? I'm sure they will be on the next flight to Cleveland to join an owner like that.

Only if every free agent acts as classless as leBron did as he left. Not returning calls, no common courtesy to call an owner to tell them you are going somewhere else and embarrassing an entire city on national TV with a stupid decision show.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
You were a Lakers fan before?

Yes. I've always liked them growing up as a kid. I can't say I'm die hard but I'll root for them in the playoffs.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
Only if every free agent acts as classless as leBron did as he left. Not returning calls, no common courtesy to call an owner to tell them you are going somewhere else and embarrassing an entire city on national TV with a stupid decision show.

I wonder if this sets any kind of precedent for future free agents. I mean I don't think so, because they have to see some of the backlash here... but I can see them trying to one up each other. Make everyone come to him...give a pitch...hold out on a decision.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
I agree with all your points about the luxury tax, but if adding Lebron makes the team a title contender, then adding Kobe would undoubtedly make them a contender.

Adding Lebron would have...before the Miami trio existed.

If you cloned Lebron and added him to the Bulls right now, I'd still pick Miami.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
I wonder if this sets any kind of precedent for future free agents. I mean I don't think so, because they have to see some of the backlash here... but I can see them trying to one up each other. Make everyone come to him...give a pitch...hold out on a decision.

I think the precedent that is set is that the NBA Owners will make things much harder on the players in the 2011 CBA.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)

I totally agree that LeBron was absolutely classless, but I just don't think the owner of an NBA franchise should stoop down to the same level and write a letter like that. I did like seeing someone in the NBA call Bron out, but during his tenure in Cleveland, Gilbert definitely helped James build up his ego with letting him get away with stuff because of who he was.

can someone tell me how the heat manage to sign miller for $30 million, presumably $5 million the first season? the big 3 and chalmers takes about $51 millions. that plus 8 cap holds will not be enough for them to sign a $5 million contract. This is really screw up that the heat is taking away everyone's free agent this offseason.

I hope the big 3 gets injured all at the same time and they have to sport their lineup of scrubs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:51 AM)
Adding Lebron would have...before the Miami trio existed.

If you cloned Lebron and added him to the Bulls right now, I'd still pick Miami.

Miami would be the favorite, yes, but I still think the Bulls would have a chance to beat them in a series and win a title.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
can someone tell me how the heat manage to sign miller for $30 million, presumably $5 million the first season? the big 3 and chalmers takes about $51 millions. that plus 8 cap holds will not be enough for them to sign a $5 million contract. This is really screw up that the heat is taking away everyone's free agent this offseason.

I hope the big 3 gets injured all at the same time and they have to sport their lineup of scrubs.

They can backload a deal like Miller's and not have to worry about the cap rules as much.