NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
Oh, man, does this suck.

I'd honestly rather have Kirk back and use our 1st on James Anderson dammit.

NOOOOOOOO.

But don't get too worked up. Orlando will probably match it, though I do like J.J. (not a lock down guy by any means, but his defense improved a TON since college and would love to see how Thibs does with him.. kind of like a white Ray Allen in his system running off screens and such when Rose kicks it out, similar to what Rondo did IMO)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 12:02 AM)
That's exactly why you have Thibodeau.

IIRC, Pierce, Allen & Rondo weren't defensive studs either.

None of those guys are lacking athletically though. Thibodeau might be a defensive genius, but you aren't turning Boozer, Korver or Redick into good defenders.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
NOOOOOOOO.

But don't get too worked up. Orlando will probably match it, though I do like J.J. (not a lock down guy by any means, but his defense improved a TON since college and would love to see how Thibs does with him.. kind of like a white Ray Allen in his system running off screens and such IMO)

I'm talking Kirk + our 1st. I'd rather die in your arms tonight than just bring Kirk back for the fun of it.

How does Orlando's cap look? Cause now I'm reading they would have some serious balls to match it since they would be really over. Their owner is a rich dude though.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 12:17 AM)
Holy f***, Gerry, you're going to give me s*** in this thread yet you just called JJ Redick like the white Ray Allen "in Thibs' system".

Put down the f***ing booze and end your life. :lolhitting

Obviously Thibs is also putting an input into this off-season as well. Obviously Redick is no Allen, but he is a good shooter from the field, great from the line, and is a much better defender than given credit for (still not good, but I did watch the playoffs and saw enough of him to determine that) Allen isn't good either (never was till he got to Boston, and at least was "adequate" at it) if you didn't know. Pretty much have him run around screens/double screens from Rose on certain plays and I'm sure he will thrive in that system. I'll put faith in Thibs and Adams getting the kid to improve defensively (he already improved from where he was to now with SVG) and go from there. Same with Rose. I did mention though that I would rather see him on the bench as a first SG off of it (sign a defending wing) but Korver can not be your only sniper.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
Orlando is probably going to match the offer. I believe DBAH0 said they (Magic management) would match any offer for Redick unless it was a serious overpayment (though you can debate this is an overpayment.. :lol:). If they do.. Bulls should look into getting Pietrus since Magic would be f***ed in cap space.

Hope Magic do match the offer. That's a lot of money to give to Reddick. One thing the bulls need to do is not to overpay for some players.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 12:53 AM)
Paxson should get canned. Morrow is twice the player either of those guys are and cost half the money Redick might. Seriously, $7M next season for JJ? I can't understand the Bulls management.

Is it at all possible that Morrow wanted to be a Net and took that offer so he could make it happen? Not everything has to be GarPax's fault,

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (bulokis @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
Hope Magic do match the offer. That's a lot of money to give to Reddick. One thing the bulls need to do is not to overpay for some players.

Why? If JR is willing to pay the luxury tax, then why does it matter? The NBA rewards teams for signing bad contracts. I see no reason not to use all of our cap space. Worst case scenario, the expiring contracts will help us down the road.

Redick is exactly the type of player that the Bulls need. Of course, they'd have to overpay for him in this market. It seems likely that the bargain that we seem to have got on Boozer will allow us to get the perimeter players that we need to clear space for Rose to operate in.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-n...,0,143821.story

Stan Van Gundy likes that the Orlando Magic have the right to match any offer sheet restricted free agent SG J.J. Redick could sign with another team.

Because Redick has played four consecutive seasons with the Magic, he's considered a "Bird" free agent, meaning the Magic can pay him up to a maximum salary even though they are well above the NBA salary cap.

Right now, the Magic seem inclined to bring back Redick even though it would plunge them further into the luxury tax.

"I'm not worried about what J.J. might get from somebody," Van Gundy said Wednesday between games of the AirTran Airways Pro Summer League at RDV Sportsplex. "That would simply leave us with a decision, but the ball rests in our court. We'll just have to make the decision when the time comes. Our intention is — and I know that from talking to [General Manager] Otis [smith] — our intention is to match.

"Now, if he gets a max offer — $17 million a year — I don't know," Van Gundy added, a smile on his face. "If somebody gives him, you know, $1.8 million, he won't take it. So, somewhere in-between there is the number. But we go in with the intention that we're going to match."

Last summer, the Magic surprised many people when they matched the Dallas Mavericks' five-year, $34 million offer sheet to backup C Marcin Gortat.

"We valued Marsh," Van Gundy said. "We value J.J. And we know we get the final say."

Chris Broussard said on ESPN Friday that a big reason that LeBron James didn't sign with the Bulls is that they didn't offer enough perks for LeBron's family and friends.

One of LeBron's buddies was hired by the Cavaliers and he wanted his entourage to be able to travel on the Bulls' tab, but the team, according to Broussard, said 'we didn't do that for Michael Jordan, so we're not doing it for you.'

^ bulls***. All 3 of those jackasses knew all along where the hell they were going. They all wanted a play date with the "historic" Miami Heat.

This is what happens when you're basically a 16 year old and are surrounded by your loser friends who just want to party with your money. One of the dumbest moves in the history of sports

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 01:50 AM)
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-n...,0,143821.story

Stan Van Gundy likes that the Orlando Magic have the right to match any offer sheet restricted free agent SG J.J. Redick could sign with another team.

Because Redick has played four consecutive seasons with the Magic, he's considered a "Bird" free agent, meaning the Magic can pay him up to a maximum salary even though they are well above the NBA salary cap.

Right now, the Magic seem inclined to bring back Redick even though it would plunge them further into the luxury tax.

"I'm not worried about what J.J. might get from somebody," Van Gundy said Wednesday between games of the AirTran Airways Pro Summer League at RDV Sportsplex. "That would simply leave us with a decision, but the ball rests in our court. We'll just have to make the decision when the time comes. Our intention is — and I know that from talking to [General Manager] Otis [smith] — our intention is to match.

"Now, if he gets a max offer — $17 million a year — I don't know," Van Gundy added, a smile on his face. "If somebody gives him, you know, $1.8 million, he won't take it. So, somewhere in-between there is the number. But we go in with the intention that we're going to match."

Last summer, the Magic surprised many people when they matched the Dallas Mavericks' five-year, $34 million offer sheet to backup C Marcin Gortat.

"We valued Marsh," Van Gundy said. "We value J.J. And we know we get the final say."

This gives me hope that we won't sign Redick and we'll be forced to be pursue a legit 2. Come on Richardson!

Edited by IamtheHBOMB

Rich Devos is the Orlando owner, and he owns Amway.

I think he's in his 80's, and pretty desperate to see a championship. And we're moving into a brand new building next season so we'll be making more revenue at least also.

I think we'll match Redick's offer, let VC's contract come off the books next season, and JJ becomes our new starting 2 guard. SVG like JJ a lot, and if we have to, we'd probably trade Gortat for scraps if we needed to dump salary to keep JJ going forward.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 04:39 AM)
IF this is true, I'll pray from here on out that LeBron somehow meets a very violent (and torturous) death. No joke here. Go ahead and suspend me if you want. I've never hated an athlete like I hate this motherf***er.

I don't know about that, but it'd be great if the Cavs had all his friends under contract and made them finish them out.

JR already said that the only perk LeBron asked for is that his personal trainer be hired. And JR agreed. That was according the the Score.

And what kind of excuse is that for not signing anyway? He cares more about perks than success? The stupidity grows.

looks like the big 3 douchebags will each take less money next season.

all three will get 6 year deals via sign and trade, bosh and lebron will get $14.5 mil while wade takes $14 mil. Their combined salary with Chalmers is around $44 mil, leaving $14 mil to work with.

With addition of Miller, possibly Haslem, Raja Bell, Fisher, and Ilgauskus, looks like they won't have to field a team with scrubs or minimum contract as thought.