NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
The most hated team in recent sports history becomes just a little more hated.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives.../#ixzz0tIHryCug

What a f***ing shock.

LOL, they've already started the clock haven't they.

Does Spoelstra have a heavy buyout or something that gets him a lot of money if Riley wants the job?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 01:47 AM)
Why? If JR is willing to pay the luxury tax, then why does it matter? The NBA rewards teams for signing bad contracts. I see no reason not to use all of our cap space. Worst case scenario, the expiring contracts will help us down the road.

JR's clear statement has been that he is not willing to pay the luxury tax for a team that can't win a title.

This team can not win a title.

This team might contend for a title if you swapped Luol Deng for Kevin Durant and someone from Miami gets hurt.

JR won't pay the luxury tax for this. Nor should he. If he decided to pay $20 million over the tax level, he still wouldn't be able to field a team by 2011 that could beat the heat.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
chris Broussard - Knicks Prez Donnie Walsh told me today that Isiah Thomas will be among Knicks GM candidates if they make a hire

LMAO. Good luck Knicks.

I think Chris Broussard decided he was correct on the Heat stuff so he never needs to be correct about anything again, so he's just going to make stuff up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
LOL, they've already started the clock haven't they.

Does Spoelstra have a heavy buyout or something that gets him a lot of money if Riley wants the job?

Doesn't it not matter? I thought coach's contracts were guaranteed?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
Doesn't it not matter? I thought coach's contracts were guaranteed?

Yeah, but you can have things like escalator clauses if they're fired without cause or something like that. Hell, he took a salary cut along with a good chunk of their front office in 2009 to avoid front office staff layoffs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
JR won't pay the luxury tax for this. Nor should he. If he decided to pay $20 million over the tax level, he still wouldn't be able to field a team by 2011 that could beat the heat.

They won't field a team by 2015 to beat the Heat. Honestly it wouldn't be crazy to start trading off assets like Rose and Noah in the next two years to stockpile picks and get ready for 2016.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
They won't field a team by 2015 to beat the Heat. Honestly it wouldn't be crazy to start trading off assets like Rose and Noah in the next two years to stockpile picks and get ready for 2016.

LMAO yes it would. It would be worse than the white flag trade

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 08:52 PM)
LMAO yes it would. It would be worse than the white flag trade

They may not be able to do it for PR reasons, but realistically that strategy would produce a title-contending team faster than keeping Rose and Noah in long-term expensive contracts when Miami has a lock on the conference for the next 5 to 6 years. I wouldn't do it myself because punting away seasons seems lame, but I can't come up with argument that it isn't the best bet to build a championship team.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
They may not be able to do it for PR reasons, but realistically that strategy would produce a title-contending team faster than keeping Rose and Noah in long-term expensive contracts when Miami has a lock on the conference for the next 5 to 6 years. I wouldn't do it myself because punting away seasons seems lame, but I can't come up with argument that it isn't the best bet to build a championship team.

I fail to understand why giving up Rose and Noah is better than signing them to long term contracts. You can definitely build around rose, and an argument could be made that you could build around Noah as well if he can stay healthy and maintain the same level of play he was at last year.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)

That would be amazingly dumb. Why in god's name would you trade a 21 year old All-Star point guard with franchise potential? Do you have any idea how slim the odds are that you would get a player of his caliber back in the deal? This isn't the NFL where trading one elite player for 2 or 3 picks is a good strategic move, especially when any team with remotely competent management would make the picks lottery-protected for at least 3 years. Take a look at any trade for a star-level player in recent NBA history, the team trading the NBA player never wins those deals.

Besides, Rose is only going to be 28 at the start of the 2016-2017 season, hardly on his last legs.

Yeah I was going to say, by the time those 3 contracts run out, Rose will be a franchise player and still in the heart of his prime, barring unforeseen circumstances. Those kinds of players don't just fall out of trees. Noah is more replaceable but still, unless you're trading for another player, there's no guarantee you'll get someone like him in the draft, either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
I think Chris Broussard decided he was correct on the Heat stuff so he never needs to be correct about anything again, so he's just going to make stuff up.

Broussard is FAR from the only person reporting that. The Knicks owner absolutely loves Zeke, and is seriously thinking about giving him a second chance as a prominent member of the organization if Walsh ends up no longer in that job spot.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
Aside from it just being a terrible idea, I'm curious to what would be a fair return for Rose. My buddies and I were having this discussion a few weeks ago. Outside of Durant, factoring in age, contract, and ability, name me 5 more valuable assets in the NBA than Rose....

LeBron James and Dwyane Wade? (I don't care what they're getting paid, it's the amount of wins they add to your team.)

I'd put Deron Williams on that list too.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
Aside from it just being a terrible idea, I'm curious to what would be a fair return for Rose. My buddies and I were having this discussion a few weeks ago. Outside of Durant, factoring in age, contract, and ability, name me 5 more valuable assets in the NBA than Rose....

We'll have a better answer to that question after this year I think. Right now it's hard because it's only his second year and he's definitely not a top-10 player yet.

If you had to make the call RIGHT NOW, I don't think you can take him over Lebron, Dwight, Durant, Paul, or Deron for sure, and you could probably argue 5 more years of Wade could be more valuable to your franchise than 10 more years of Rose. Carmelo would be a pretty close call I think as well. If he makes the leap to average like 22-5-9 next year while leading the Bulls to the conference finals, the list would shrink.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
We'll have a better answer to that question after this year I think. Right now it's hard because it's only his second year and he's definitely not a top-10 player yet.

If you had to make the call RIGHT NOW, I don't think you can take him over Lebron, Dwight, Durant, Paul, or Deron for sure and you could probably argue 5 more years of Wade could be more valuable to your franchise than 10 more years of Rose. If he makes the leap to average like 22-5-9 next year while leading the Bulls to the conference finals, the list would shrink.

You could definitely make a case for Melo over Rose right now as well.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
LeBron James and Dwyane Wade? (I don't care what they're getting paid, it's the amount of wins they add to your team.)

I'd put Deron Williams on that list too.

I've long said I'd trade Chris Paul straight up for Rose. I think after his injury last year, people forget just how good he is.

And like I said, people should not just worked up over Redick. I like him, but the Magic will match the offer. Hopefully this means a guy like Pietrus is available.

Edited by SoxAce

I don't know if anyone put this in here but I saw this on a friends' facebook. Fathead.com, an online retailer owned by Cavs owner Dan Gilbert dropped the price of its LeBron Fathead wall decals from $99.99 to $17.41, which happens to be the same year Revolutionary War traitor Benedict Arnold was born. Hahaha, Oh Dan Gilbert

HAHAHA