NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
LOL, Illini fans are all about that. "He went to Duke or Kansas??? Ugh, I don't want him on my team" I'd take Bill Self as coach of the Bulls if he can win an NBA title.

Speaking of that, I saw Dee Brown in a Summer League game the other day on NBA TV. Holy cow, does he suck! He was the worst player on the court.

I wonder if the Bulls considered Josh Childress at all. I thought he would have been a pretty good fit, but my guess is, they don't want to go more than 3 years with any of these guys as they want to ensure they have some financial flexibility and not a ton of guys all inked up for the next 6 years.

Josh Howard would be decent, but he's recovering from a torn ACL and it will be a while until he is back. I also don't think he fits in very well at the 2 defensively.

I wonder if the Bulls would be able to pull off a trade for any of the following:

Jason Richardson

OJ Mayo

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
Speaking of that, I saw Dee Brown in a Summer League game the other day on NBA TV. Holy cow, does he suck! He was the worst player on the court.

It's funny because I saw a whole ranking of the best Illini athletes on the Daily Illini a couple of months ago. Dee Brown was #1, I really don't know why when Deron Williams is one of the best players in the NBA right now.

Maybe some people are bitter that Deron left after his junior year.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
I wonder if the Bulls considered Josh Childress at all. I thought he would have been a pretty good fit, but my guess is, they don't want to go more than 3 years with any of these guys as they want to ensure they have some financial flexibility and not a ton of guys all inked up for the next 6 years.

Josh Howard would be decent, but he's recovering from a torn ACL and it will be a while until he is back. I also don't think he fits in very well at the 2 defensively.

I wonder if the Bulls would be able to pull off a trade for any of the following:

Jason Richardson

OJ Mayo

Mayo and D-Rose on the same team? Daymn. Not happening, but I can dream right?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)

Jason Richardson

OJ Mayo

With Phoenix making a couple trades to improve the team I dont see why they would trade Jrich and I dont know the Grizzlies situation but seems silly to me to trade Mayo.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
Not too mention he is a really similar player to Korver, I dont see the point of having both.

we need guards, and considering most all of our good offense is only good within 15 ft, getting great shooters is worth the cash.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
It's funny because I saw a whole ranking of the best Illini athletes on the Daily Illini a couple of months ago. Dee Brown was #1, I really don't know why when Deron Williams is one of the best players in the NBA right now.

Maybe some people are bitter that Deron left after his junior year.

I think it was best player during their college years. Dee Brown was a better college player during his time at Illinois. Deron had the body size and potential.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

This will get people talking;

Chris Paul attended Carmelo Anthony's wedding in New York City on Saturday, and during a speech he allegedly said "We'll form our own Big 3" -- referring to himself, Carmelo, and Amare Stoudemire all being Knicks.

This is coming via the NY Post from "a person who spoke with wedding attendee Amare Stoudemire," so take it with a grain of salt. The Knicks are eyeing Chris Paul and Tony Parker as possible point guards of the future, and they continue to pile up assets and cap space for future years.

Good luck to the Knicks for trying to get enough assets to pull off a trade with the Hornets though.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
They have gotten a little better but are NOT very good, everyone thinks LBJ is good because he has highlight real blocks when it all reality, he is below average on the ball. Wade is a gambler and can look like a defensive stopper at some points and just look like a fool at others.

When discussing defense of those 2, there's one key issue that's missing, and it's something we saw in spades in the 2008 olympics. These guys can be very good on the ball defenders, but they don't have the energy to give you both 35 points a night on offense themselves while being the entire focus of the defense/double teams, create another 35 for their teammates indirectly, and then still at the same time give total lockdown effort on defense.

In the Olympics, when you took away the need to do all the scoring on their lonesome, suddenly Wade and Lebron became much, much better defenders, because they could use their energy, strength, and athleticism on that side of the court as well.

In the NBA with these guys, it's been easier for their teams to find defensive help than it has been for them to find shooters. Lebron had all sorts of defensive help, Wade has had guys like Haslem, but offensive help has been much harder to find, and so they've dumped everything on the offensive side of the court, because that was what their team needed. Look what happened the moment Lebron got even a decent offensive player on his team (Mo Williams), he turned him into a borderline all star.

With Wade, Lebron, and Bosh all on this team, not a single guy there will have to face a double team, especially if they can add a shooter like Miller. They'll all be up against single coverage, and they go from having to generate essentially their team's entire offense to having to generate maybe 30, 35% of it each. They're going to be much, much better defenders next year.

On top of that, just as it's been easier for Cleveland and Miami to find guys who can play some defense...as veterans get cut this year or even this summer, they're going to sit down with Pat Riley, and he's going to hand them 2 sheets of paper, one of which will tell them their playoff bonus for winning the finals, the other will show them a picture of Miami's diamond ring for the 2010-2011 season, and whoever winds up a cap/release casualty this year will wind up on Miami's roster if they want them.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
Deron drove that team.

Brown won the Big Ten player of the year and was first team all american that year. Deron didn't and was second team. I think Deron had an amazing 2nd half of that year, but Dee was still a better collegiate player.

Edit: And the Sporting News had Dee Brown as the national player of the year.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
Brown won the Big Ten player of the year and was first team all american that year. Deron didn't and was second team. I think Deron had an amazing 2nd half of that year, but Dee was still a better collegiate player.

Luther Head played the best of anyone on that team

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)

Disagree from a non-Illinois fan perspective. Deron Williams was the reason that team was good. Dee Brown had a rep that drove alot of fanfare, but Williams carried that team.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
Disagree from a non-Illinois fan perspective. Deron Williams was the reason that team was good. Dee Brown had a rep that drove alot of fanfare, but Williams carried that team.

I guess me and the national college basketball writers and coaches will agree to disagree.

Carmelo is a FA next year.

Paul is a fa in 2011 as well if he doesnt exercise his player option. (At least I think that is right, it could be 2012)

That means NY could pull it off next year as long as they keep a crappy team with only Amare on the books. Plus they could potentially get a high draft pick.

NBA might have be in for some trouble.

As for the Bulls, I think Bouldin may make the team and play a few minutes. He can probably be a serviceable defender against most sg/sf who are not to quick (ie Wade). Hes a pretty intense player who also has some decent post moves for a guard and was Gonzaga's best player most games.

I thought he was a tool, but when he plays for your team you like that type of guy.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
I guess me and the national college basketball writers and coaches will agree to disagree.

Well, if you think that award is proof that he is a better player, then there you go. I watched alot of their games that year, and Dee Brown was probably a bigger name because of his reputation, but Deron was the stud on that roster and its been proven right over the course of their bball careers. He was awesome in college.

Well gotta say I'm surprised bout that, but those contracts we gave out to Bass and Gortat last off-season are coming back to hurt us now.

I think Q-Rich has played under SVG before, so that's prob why we've made the signing.

I'll miss JJ, 2 years ago he looked like he'd be playing in Europe right now, but to his credit he worked his ass off to become a credible defender, and he's getting the rewards for it now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Well, if you think that award is proof that he is a better player, then there you go. I watched alot of their games that year, and Dee Brown was probably a bigger name because of his reputation, but Deron was the stud on that roster and its been proven right over the course of their bball careers. He was awesome in college.

The difference is this: Dee peaked in college. Deron is peaking in the NBA. Dee was better during his entire time in college. Deron got better every year. That is all.