NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
Carmelo is a FA next year.

Paul is a fa in 2011 as well if he doesnt exercise his player option. (At least I think that is right, it could be 2012)

That means NY could pull it off next year as long as they keep a crappy team with only Amare on the books. Plus they could potentially get a high draft pick.

NBA might have be in for some trouble.

As for the Bulls, I think Bouldin may make the team and play a few minutes. He can probably be a serviceable defender against most sg/sf who are not to quick (ie Wade). Hes a pretty intense player who also has some decent post moves for a guard and was Gonzaga's best player most games.

I thought he was a tool, but when he plays for your team you like that type of guy.

Paul is signed through 2012, his option is in the 2012/2013 season. I can't imagine that New York has anywhere close to the assets to get him before that.

Tony Parker at point is far more likely, but they'd still have to get both him and Anthony in at $30 mil or so (might be feasible).

Also, Houston has the option to trade picks with the Knicks because they took Jarred Jeffries' contract, meaning New York is highly unlikely to get a good pick next year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
I never realized you an actually compare the two players on statsheet

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?p...mp;p2=dee-brown

not sure why you'd compare deron's last year with dee's last year. If you look at their stats for the NC run, Dee was better in basically everything but assists.

My point was what CanofCorn just said, and what the Daily Illini's poll was about - collegiate career, not who's the best basketball player overall.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
The way the article was written that I read about Paul's contract was misleading so I wasnt 100%. And damn NY really knows how to make itself bad through trades.

I thought this quote from Simmons' "Lebronocalypse article was pretty damn funny:

Do you realize the Knicks will have given away top-10 lottery picks in 2004, '06, '07, '09, '10 and, potentially, '11 and '12 without making the playoffs or landing one superstar? How is that even possible?

i was reading on Yahoo about how the bulls are interested in Josh Howard.....i think if the bulls can land him and still get J.J. we'll be alright with our starters and have enough depth on our bench to compete with Miami regardless....dont know our salary cap situation if those 2 transactions were possible though....

Bulls werent getting Melo in FA.

And I disagree with the assertion that a star is what they need to combat the Miami threesome.

I think the Bulls needed players who can spread the floor on offense to take advantage of individual match ups. If a defender has to stand in a corner to cover a 3 point shooter, it gives Rose/Booze Cruise more room to work in the lane.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)

And I disagree with the assertion that a star is what they need to combat the Miami threesome.

I think the Bulls needed players who can spread the floor on offense to take advantage of individual match ups. If a defender has to stand in a corner to cover a 3 point shooter, it gives Rose/Booze Cruise more room to work in the lane.

Offense certainly isn't going to be this teams problem, we're going to score some points.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)

Right and how many people said the Heat werent getting Lebron.....

I dont know, but you can check the first page where I predicted where he would go and it was:

1) Chicago

2) Miami

Anyhow, Melo is a pipe dream and after this off-season I dont want the Bulls holding money for super star fa's unless they are one of Rose's buddies.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)
Offense certainly isn't going to be this teams problem, we're going to score some points.

Offense isn't going to be the problem and we have one of the best defensive minds in the league for a coach and a beast of a defensive center I'm gonna love this team.

Celtics eye Howard?

The Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls have shown “serious interest” in free-agent forward Josh Howard, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

While the Bulls could have the salary-cap space to sign Howard, depending on what happens with their offer sheet to J.J. Redick, the Celtics would need a sign-and-trade to arrange a deal because they have already used their midlevel exception on Jermaine O’Neal.

Howard has yet to receive a contract offer. The Washington Wizards also have some interest in re-signing Howard.

– Marc J. Spears, 1:30 a.m. ET, July 12

Link.

They still wouldn't compete with the Heat, but that would be a very deep and versatile roster.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
Offense isn't going to be the problem and we have one of the best defensive minds in the league for a coach and a beast of a defensive center I'm gonna love this team.

I'm pumped too. We've got one terrific wing defender in Deng and one of the best lowpost defenders in Noah. The rest, besides Korver, can be average to above average defenders. I can't wait to see what Thib draws up.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
Is it too early to start saying "Thibs will fix him"? We're getting to that kind of territory before he even coaches his first game for the Bulls...

Like it or not, that's what happened to teh Celtics.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
Is it too early to start saying "Thibs will fix him"? We're getting to that kind of territory before he even coaches his first game for the Bulls...

All I said was one of the best defensive minds in the league, which is a pretty commonly held fact.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
Like it or not, that's what happened to teh Celtics.

The Celtics got Garnett that year too. I don't remember anyone talking about him being a defensive genius when he was with the Knicks and Rockets.

The Celtics had a lot of legitimately good defenders on the roster. KG is a known monster when healthy, Rondo is extremely quick and a good pick-pocket, Perkins is a very strong player inside that can match up against guys like Dwight, and Pierce has great size and length and has always been at least decent there when he tries. Not to mention guys like Posey and Brown are pretty solid defensive role players.

The Bulls on the other hand have a PF that lacks length and agility, a PG that is lost a lot of the time on defense, a slow white guy that can't guard 2's, and an undersized shooting guard that's never started before.

There are a lot more questionable defensive pieces on that roster.