NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
I am a little late to this party, but I don't know how anybody could ever determine Dwyane Wade is a good defender. He is to basketball defense what the guy who makes a bunch of diving catches but has no range is to baseball defense. He does a lot of stuff that looks spectacular, but overall he's not good at it.

In other words, he is the Nate McLouth of basketball defense.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
You've got a point there, that one still baffles me.

The idea there was that Orlando didn't have any other bigs on the roster, and Otis would trade Gortat after a season (but obviously that may not happen now).

I certainly don't think he was worth that contract though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
In other words, he is the Nate McLouth of basketball defense.

I forgot who it was (I have to look for it), someone posted some metric where LBJ was 4th best defender and Wade was 5th, it was kind of a weird metric where the top 25 on the list were pretty much the top 25 offensive players in the league. It is within the last 10 pages, take a look for it it is pretty interesting. I did agree with you that Wade is a gambler looking pretty at some points and foolish at others. James still seems like a player who is not good on the ball but flying around off of it and swatting shots. This does not make you a good defender

Got it: http://www.basketballprospectus.com/articl...p?articleid=918

Not quite sure what to think about it, he does say that playing time has a large effect on it (it looks like the majority of these players were up there in minutes per game average in the league) and that it is not the "be all, end all" of defensive metrics. Just shocked to see a player such as Hedo on it?

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
If there was any "slave master" in that situation, it was LeBron. He dictated everything that went on during his era in Cleveland. Jesse Jackson is a nitwit.

To add to the insanity, Wilbon agreed with Jackson.

Also, the prospect of two curly haired white guys from Gonzaga intrigues me...

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
I think the Heat will burst out the gates for what its worth, but one thing is overlooked.

Every team is going to step up their game and intensity against the Heat. It'll be hard for the Heat to keep the intensity up all year without injuries.

I really hope Otis Smith doesn't match for Redick, I actually like this roster a roster where we resign Brad, Law, and look at Bouldin, Byars, Richard, and Alexander (even though Alexander has mysteriously disappeared from the Summer League roster):

PG: Rose - Law - Bouldin

SG: Redick - Korver - Byars

SF: Deng - Johnson - Alexander

PF: Boozer - Gibson - Richard

C: Noah - Asik - Brad

That's assuming you can get Bouldin, Byars, Alexander, and Richard on min. contracts, which you should

Brad would be the Lindsey Hunter type tutor (that can still play somewhat) for Noah, Gibson, and Asik, Law showed some good stuff in his 2 starts last year, while BBAR would all be there for mop up duty or to surprise us.

Chris Richard was released I believe.

I saw that D-Wade posted something about his kids on his Facebook.

I really wanted to say something like, "In Dwyane's World, LeBron and Chris Bosh >>>>>>> D-Wade's kids".

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
That Heat roster is looking pretty good.

PG Chalmers

SG Wade

SF James

PF Bosh

C Haslem

SF Miller

PF Howard

PG Dooling (probably re-signing)

They're only a couple of guys away...

Juwan Howard?? I thought he was already retired, does he even have anything left?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)
it's disgusting. kill yourself david stern.

On the plus side, Chris Paul supposedly said that he and Carmelo are planning on coming to the Knicks to form their own Big Three there...that's a team that would be able to compete with the Heat...but we have to wait 2 years for that and I have trouble of thinking of a team I dislike more than NY and Miami....

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 09:49 AM)
Juwan Howard?? I thought he was already retired, does he even have anything left?

Who knows. All I know is that he only needs to play like 10 minutes a game.