NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
Korver just had his press conference. He said he as in contact with Boozer previous to signing and that he has been texting Ronnie Brewer to come and play in Chicago. He jokingly said "Were trying to start the Chicago Jazz."

If we do get Redick, the last 2 pieces I'd like to see the Bulls add are a backup PG (Livingston) and a defensive/athletic 2 guard (Brewer).

PG - Rose/Livingston

SG - Redick/Brewer

SF - Deng/Korver/Johnson

PF - Boozer/Gibson

C - Noah/Asik

We got our big 3 in Boozer/Korever/Brewer. YEAH!

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
Korver just had his press conference. He said he as in contact with Boozer previous to signing and that he has been texting Ronnie Brewer to come and play in Chicago. He jokingly said "Were trying to start the Chicago Jazz."

If we do get Redick, the last 2 pieces I'd like to see the Bulls add are a backup PG (Livingston) and a defensive/athletic 2 guard (Brewer).

PG - Rose/Livingston

SG - Redick/Brewer

SF - Deng/Korver/Johnson

PF - Boozer/Gibson

C - Noah/Asik

i agree with this but i think we need to land one more big man just to give us a cushion especially with us not knowing what Asik brings to the table in the NBA....resigning Miller would be huge IMO

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
i agree with this but i think we need to land one more big man just to give us a cushion especially with us not knowing what Asik brings to the table in the NBA....resigning Miller would be huge IMO

Ya, if they have the money to do so, that'd be great. He'd be a nice mentor for Asik too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
Kobe's going to go downhill fast from here, IMO. We already saw some of it last year. He was able to put the injury out of his mind somewhat in the playoffs but it was already hurting him. Kobe had a worse PER than David Lee last year. Howard's weaknesses offensively are as well documented as Bosh's weaknesses defensively. Howard was 5th in the league in PER last year, Howard was 4th. I'd give you that one as a tie, but I will note that Howard was in that case where he has a much, much better roster to cover for his weaknesses.

Durant is the one guy I think you're right about and I legitimately put him ahead of Bosh.

FYI, PER isn't the end it all, know it all stat when it comes to basketball efficiency. That is like saying +/- is the end it all know it all stat for hockey in efficiency or even UZR in evaluating baseball defense. It is a good indicator, but like UZR and the +/-, it has it's flaws and should not be the main source in evaluating a player when said player plays in a different system (run and gun, up tempo, triangle, etc..) different bench rotations, etc. Some things you have to look at with your eyes and your head (plus other evaluations like a player's worth) to really get a different grasp of a player. I would think anyone with a brain would never put David Lee ahead of Kobe Bryant PER or age be damned. With that being said though, Kobe will probably never be the same with that finger in overall efficiency. BTW, I also rate Chris Paul very highly on my personal list of best players in the game. People really forget how good he is/was before the injury last season.

PG - Rose/Livingston

SG - Redick/Brewer

SF - Deng/Korver/Johnson

PF - Boozer/Gibson

C - Noah/Asik

I know that because of the douchey mcdouchersons down in Miami, this roster probably won't win the Bulls a title, but I still like what I see. Its gonna be an entertaining and competitive basketball team that could make it at least a little bit interesting come playoff time. I'd rather be in NBA hell with this team, then tank the next few years, just to get rejected by FAs and still be a bad basketball team like the Knicks are.

PG - Rose/Livingston

SG - Redick/Brewer

SF - Deng/Korver/Johnson

PF - Boozer/Gibson

C - Noah/Asik

The Bulls are obviously going all out to build around Rose and it shows. They couldn't get him a Batman for him to play Robin, so they are gonna try and make him the Batman in the foreseeable future.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
The Bulls are obviously going all out to build around Rose and it shows. They couldn't get him a Batman for him to play Robin, so they are gonna try and make him the Batman in the foreseeable future.

No Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Melo . . . I am ok with that. Rose is our best hope, go all in.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)

It's the only choice they have. I think Rose as Batman can get you a long way eventually, but not to where you want to go.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
FYI, PER isn't the end it all, know it all stat when it comes to basketball efficiency. That is like saying +/- is the end it all know it all stat for hockey in efficiency or even UZR in evaluating baseball defense. It is a good indicator, but like UZR and the +/-, it has it's flaws and should not be the main source in evaluating a player when said player plays in a different system (run and gun, up tempo, triangle, etc..) different bench rotations, etc. Some things you have to look at with your eyes and your head (plus other evaluations like a player's worth) to really get a different grasp of a player. I would think anyone with a brain would never put David Lee ahead of Kobe Bryant PER or age be damned. With that being said though, Kobe will probably never be the same with that finger in overall efficiency. BTW, I also rate Chris Paul very highly on my personal list of best players in the game. People really forget how good he is/was before the injury last season.

I know PER isn't everything, but here's my case. I'll give Wade, James, and Durant as above Bosh. Paul...well, I hold injuries against people more than others do. He could come back and put his name right up there. then again, DR1 could take a step forwards this year and do that too.

Last year though, if we're talking what other player I put in my top 4 ahead of Bosh, you can fire Kobe at me, but between him already missing 10 games last year and the fact that when I watched him, he was not the same dominant force that he was in the previous years...he's stepped back enough for me to drop him out of my top 5. I think the best player on the Lakers right now is Pau Gasol.

The only other one I think legitimately belongs up there is Howard. And between Howard and Bosh, it's a question of defense versus offense. Howard has a bigger body, Bosh is more athletic. Howard is ridiculously bad on offense for his skills. At the very worst, I'd be willing to call it a tie, but I think Bosh is just lesser known because Orlando has done a better job building around Howard.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
I know PER isn't everything, but here's my case. I'll give Wade, James, and Durant as above Bosh. Paul...well, I hold injuries against people more than others do. He could come back and put his name right up there. then again, DR1 could take a step forwards this year and do that too.

Last year though, if we're talking what other player I put in my top 4 ahead of Bosh, you can fire Kobe at me, but between him already missing 10 games last year and the fact that when I watched him, he was not the same dominant force that he was in the previous years...he's stepped back enough for me to drop him out of my top 5. I think the best player on the Lakers right now is Pau Gasol.

The only other one I think legitimately belongs up there is Howard. And between Howard and Bosh, it's a question of defense versus offense. Howard has a bigger body, Bosh is more athletic. Howard is ridiculously bad on offense for his skills. At the very worst, I'd be willing to call it a tie, but I think Bosh is just lesser known because Orlando has done a better job building around Howard.

Bosh is not more athletic than Howard.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)

Balta, what exactly has Bosh won? Seems to me he was the "man" on a non-playoff team. I dunno how you can put a franchise guy who can't win as the 4th best player in the league.

I think he's being incredibly overrated. He's an allstar, not a superstar.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 07:55 PM)
I know that because of the douchey mcdouchersons down in Miami, this roster probably won't win the Bulls a title, but I still like what I see. Its gonna be an entertaining and competitive basketball team that could make it at least a little bit interesting come playoff time. I'd rather be in NBA hell with this team, then tank the next few years, just to get rejected by FAs and still be a bad basketball team like the Knicks are.

i mean, the title season for the celtics saw them go to 7 games in their first two series in the playoffs. SO who knows.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)

I'm fairly certain that there is a better chance that howard becomes much better offensively than bosh becoming much better defensively.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
I'm fairly certain that there is a better chance that howard becomes much better offensively than bosh becoming much better defensively.

Worth considering though is that Bosh was on a Suns style offensive team...they made it a point the last few years that they weren't going to care about classical defense.

PG - Rose/Livingston

SG - Redick/Brewer

SF - Deng/Korver/Johnson

PF - Boozer/Gibson

C - Noah/Asik

That'd be a really, really good team.

I'm generally fairly pro-Bosh, but #4 in the league is ridiculous.

PER isn't exactly a convincing argument in this case because the difference between Wade at #2 and Bosh at #4 is basically the same as Bosh at #4 and Kobe at #15. There's a very large cluster of relatively comparable players after Lebron and Wade. It was also the best PER Bosh has posted in his career, his average over the last five seasons is 23 as opposed to the 25 he posted this year.

It also doesn't really factor in defense (outside of steals/blocks/rebounding), which would easily make up the 1-pointish advantage he had over Duncan and Howard. I'd go as far to say it puts him on an even level with Gasol a little over 2 points down (they were similar players before Pau went to the Lakers, though his teams actually made the playoffs out west with Mike Miller and James Posey as the next best players).

If you go on ESPN and switch it to VORP or WA, he drops to 8th even in his best season. He probably belongs somewhere in the 10-20 range.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
I'm generally fairly pro-Bosh, but #4 in the league is ridiculous.

PER isn't exactly a convincing argument in this case because the difference between Wade at #2 and Bosh at #4 is basically the same as Bosh at #4 and Josh Smith at #20. It was also the best PER Bosh has posted in his career, his average over the last five seasons is 23 as opposed to the 25 he posted this year.

It also doesn't really factor in defense (outside of steals/blocks/rebounding), which would easily make up the 1-pointish advantage he had over Duncan and Howard. I'd go as far to say it puts him on an even level with Gasol a little over 2 points down (they were similar players before Pau went to the Lakers, though is teams actually made the playoffs out west with Mike Miller and James Posey as the next best players).

He probably belongs somewhere in the 10-20 range.

Balta was in love with Tyrus Thomas....that's all I need to know. ;)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
Worth considering though is that Bosh was on a Suns style offensive team...they made it a point the last few years that they weren't going to care about classical defense.

Actually if I remember, Sam Mitchell's system was predicated on the Raptor perimeter defenders forcing the guy to the lane where if everyone rotated correctly help would finish him off. He also ran the triangle if I'm not mistaken, so his players had to have had a high I.Q. Problem was, most of his players gave no effort in alot of games and pretty much tuned him out/gave up on him. Bosh even with a block a game, was very well known as a lazy defender when he was in Toronto and only turned it up at certain times. I don't want to defend Mitchell, cause obviously he had alot of flaws as well and well deserved to get the axe, but he did get a pretty raw deal.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks James Johnson is a very talented player and looking forward to see how he will contribute to the Bulls this season?

No. He was thought to be very talented coming out of the draft. The question with him is learning how to use his ability. And I'm sure that contracting a case of VDN for a year didn't help with that.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
Actually if I remember, Sam Mitchell's system was predicated on the Raptor perimeter defenders forcing the guy to the lane where if everyone rotated correctly help would finish him off. He also ran the triangle if I'm not mistaken, so his players had to have had a high I.Q. Problem was, most of his players gave no effort in alot of games and pretty much tuned him out/gave up on him. Bosh even with a block a game, was very well known as a lazy defender when he was in Toronto and only turned it up at certain times. I don't want to defend Mitchell, cause obviously he had alot of flaws as well and well deserved to get the axe, but he did get a pretty raw deal.

The question then becomes...if he doesn't have to give 100% every game on offense because, say, he's playing alongside 2 of the other top scorers in the league, what happens when he tunes it up on defense. It's the same game you play with Wade and Lebron.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
No. He was thought to be very talented coming out of the draft. The question with him is learning how to use his ability. And I'm sure that contracting a case of VDN for a year didn't help with that.

I agree with this. Tons of potential, a lot of growing to do.