NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
I linked to this like 30 pages ago, but no one probably read it because no one wants to realize that Darko isn't actually awful (and neither is his deal). Centers with comparable ages, PER and contracts:

Krstic is on a 3yr, $15.8 mil contract.

Zaza is on a 4yr, $19 mil contract.

Biedrins is on a 6yr, $62 mil contract

Ty is on a 6yr, $64 mil contract

Hollins is on a 3yr, $7 mil contract.

Remind me again how his deal is bad?

Courtesy of CanisHoopus.

There were no other options at center available, so we picked up Darko for market value. He's a 7 footer with decent defense that's still just 25. There's nothing at all wrong with that contract, and I'm getting tired of people bashing it just because Darko is forever associated with being a bust.

Isn't that amazing, seems like he's been around longer than LBJ, to me at least

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
Isn't that amazing, seems like he's been around longer than LBJ, to me at least

Considering the draft in front of and after him, it was a sam bouie-bad pick.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
So it's not a bad contract because a bunch of other mediocre centers are getting rich too? I guess by that logic, none of the rich contracts to mediocre players this summer are bad since so many of them are being dished out.

It's not a bad contract because the market value for a 7 footer with his skill set are getting the same amount, yes. Contracts are set by the value the market sets for them, and Darko got the right amount. Sure, you'd like to sign people to a below market value deal, but more often than not the deals you make are determined by the contracts previous players that are similar already received.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
It's not a bad contract because the market value for a 7 footer with his skill set are getting the same amount, yes. Contracts are set by the value the market sets for them, and Darko got the right amount. Sure, you'd like to sign people to a below market value deal, but more often than not the deals you make are determined by the contracts previous players that are similar already received.

Well I can't really disagree with this. I guess the center is to basketball what the left handed pitcher (particularly lefty reliever) is to baseball. As long as you can do it, you're valuable, even if you don't do it all that well in general because not many others do either. It's probably a big part of why the NBA has a shot at a lockout though. The owners can't trust themselves to be financially reasonable, so they want a hard cap to basically protect themselves more than anything. And it's understandable why the players wouldn't be too keen on that idea.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
I linked to this like 30 pages ago, but no one probably read it because no one wants to realize that Darko isn't actually awful (and neither is his deal). Centers with comparable ages, PER and contracts:

Krstic is on a 3yr, $15.8 mil contract.

Zaza is on a 4yr, $19 mil contract.

Biedrins is on a 6yr, $62 mil contract

Ty is on a 6yr, $64 mil contract

Hollins is on a 3yr, $7 mil contract.

Remind me again how his deal is bad?

Courtesy of CanisHoopus.

There were no other options at center available, so we picked up Darko for market value. He's a 7 footer with decent defense that's still just 25. There's nothing at all wrong with that contract, and I'm getting tired of people bashing it just because Darko is forever associated with being a bust.

Dude, I'm probably Darko's biggest fan. Legit 7 footer, still only 25, can defend, block shots and rebound and is a great passer out of the post.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
That is if we get Reddick (who most people still believe is going to end up back in Orland). I also think Raja Bell would be a good fit.

I would prefer Raja Bell, although if Kobe wants him he will get him. Though I don't see him playing much on the Lakers as opposed to the Bulls.

I just wish Reddick's contract offer was smaller.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
maybe a bunch of mediocre centers are just harder to come by than a bunch of mediocre guards...shock...and it's probably true!

It is, which is why the deal isn't bad at all.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
DBAHO, how do you think Redick would fare as a starter at SG over the course of a season?

He'd be at least an average to above average SG in the NBA depending on the system and the players around him IMO.

Basically he's Ray Allen lite, is the best way I'd describe him.

So the more I think about it, the more I REALLY want Brewer and Redick together on the Bulls. Thinking about what our philosophies will be like next year, they seem to be perfect fits. First and foremost, the Bulls are going to use their youth, speed, and athleticism to run the court and get out in transition. Brewer fits that mold perfectly. He's athletic, can get to the rim and can finish strong. He's also a very good defender. In a half court set, we're going to be drive-and-kick, screen and roll, and ball movement oriented. Redick and Korver make a ton of sense in these sets, and having Boozer to run the pick with Rose is fantastic as well.

When Brewer is on the court, the optimal counterpart at SF is Korver. When Redick is at SG, Deng is his wingman. But starting the game, it really wouldn't matter who was on the court. We'd have a VERY deep team.

Rose/Livingston

Brewer/Redick

Deng/Korver/Johnson

Boozer/Gibson

Noah/Miller/Asik

I'd freaking love that team.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
WojYahooNBA Shaun Livingston has agreed in principle to a two-year, $7 million deal with Charlotte, league sources tell Y! Also non-guaranteed 3rd year.

Lame, id of been down for that deal, I hate the Bulls and I hate the Heat.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
Lame, id of been down for that deal, I hate the Bulls and I hate the Heat.

The Charlotte PG right now are DJ Augustin and Luther Head, as far as I can tell. Not only would they probably be willing to bid up from there...but if Livingston thinks he still has anything left, he's nearly guaranteed a ton more playing time in Charlotte.