NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 12:56 AM)
Let me tell you, whatever you've heard about Dwyane Wade, multiply it times 5 (maybe even 10) and only then do you have the real story. Classic con man and has been for years, but now the whole world knows it. He's a heck of a player and has built a heck of a basketball team around himself though, I'll give him that. But just a bad guy.

...sources?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
Also, the Bulls made an offer to Raja Bell (2 years, "in excess of 8 mil) but he ultimately chose Utah for 3/10.

Smart move by him and silly offer by the Bulls...the only years from that deal that he'd expect to get paid are years 1 and 3. You've got to tack on the 3rd year if you want to make a legitimate offer.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 02:28 AM)
...sources?

If the stuff about his private life/kids hasn't strongly suggested "This isn't a good guy" to you, and the way the Lebron shenanigoats went down hasn't added on to that, then I'm not sure what it'll take to convince you.

Anyone have thoughts of bringing in Shaq? On the one hand I think a guy like that playing 10-15 min a game would be good. But nearly every team he's been on has become pretty disfunctional. I dunno if the Bulls want to mess with what they've got going, which seems to be a bunch of guys that get along.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
Anyone have thoughts of bringing in Shaq? On the one hand I think a guy like that playing 10-15 min a game would be good. But nearly every team he's been on has become pretty disfunctional. I dunno if the Bulls want to mess with what they've got going, which seems to be a bunch of guys that get along.

Well, the obvious retort is that Cleveland was better last year with him off the court than on it.

He's a big slow lumbering guy who can occasionally rebound and score. The 2 potential benefits of having him are...having Dwight Howard have to go against him in the playoffs and having him against the Size depleted Heat. The downside though is that any time he's in there, he slows you down and clogs up the lane.

On the team the Bulls fielded from 06-08, where everything was on the perimeter and based on ball movement, this old Shaq might still have been useful because no one was going into the lane and thus it wouldn't hurt us to clog it. But now, with Boozer there as a scorer, with Noah there as an athletic defender/rebounder, with Gibson as a lesser version of Noah, and most importantly, with our key player being a slasher who ought to be pushing into the lane as often as he can...I think it hurts us m ore than it helps.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 08:59 AM)
Well, the obvious retort is that Cleveland was better last year with him off the court than on it.

He's a big slow lumbering guy who can occasionally rebound and score. The 2 potential benefits of having him are...having Dwight Howard have to go against him in the playoffs and having him against the Size depleted Heat. The downside though is that any time he's in there, he slows you down and clogs up the lane.

On the team the Bulls fielded from 06-08, where everything was on the perimeter and based on ball movement, this old Shaq might still have been useful because no one was going into the lane and thus it wouldn't hurt us to clog it. But now, with Boozer there as a scorer, with Noah there as an athletic defender/rebounder, with Gibson as a lesser version of Noah, and most importantly, with our key player being a slasher who ought to be pushing into the lane as often as he can...I think it hurts us m ore than it helps.

Yeah, good points. It's too bad he was such a "me" guy. With his experience he could have been one of those aging veterans you get for the locker room to guide guys like Rose.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 08:11 AM)
If the stuff about his private life/kids hasn't strongly suggested "This isn't a good guy" to you, and the way the Lebron shenanigoats went down hasn't added on to that, then I'm not sure what it'll take to convince you.

Exactly. I do have sources though, although you don't really need them to know all of that about Wade. The con man that is Dwyane Wade is kind of an open book down there, but people choose to ignore it because he's a great player, as well as the fact he covers for himself well by attaching to some positive stuff done in the community down there.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 10:25 AM)
Exactly. I do have sources though, although you don't really need them to know all of that about Wade. The con man that is Dwyane Wade is kind of an open book down there, but people choose to ignore it because he's a great player, as well as the fact he covers for himself well by attaching to some positive stuff done in the community down there.

You can see it all in how Lebron wants to go join Wade's South Beach party. Does anyone even realize that the Miami arena isn't in the South Beach area? It's downtown.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
You can see it all in how Lebron wants to go join Wade's South Beach party. Does anyone even realize that the Miami arena isn't in the South Beach area? It's downtown.

Yep right on Biscayne Bay, although I think everything is closer than you realize. Micky Arison, the Heat owner, also owns Carnival Cruise Lines, and anybody who has been on such a cruise like myself knows you have a pretty good look at the arena as you leave the Port of Miami, which is probably only a mile, maybe two away from the AAA right in the middle of the Bay. South Beach isn't actually in Miami either, it's in Miami Beach, although a quick drive across one of the causeways right by the arena and you're on South Beach. It's probably only about a 5 mile drive too, so even with typically disasterous Miami traffic, that's no problem. Star Island is right in the water in between South Beach and the arena too (just to either the north or south of the Port, can't remember which direction honestly, but it's all right there). It's quite the recruiting setup for players.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 08:11 AM)

I meant specifics that only whitesoxfan101 would know.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 09:25 AM)

That's what I meant, since you said multiply what we think about him by 10.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
I meant specifics that only whitesoxfan101 would know.

That's what I meant, since you said multiply what we think about him by 10.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say I have information that "nobody else knows", because as I mentioned, just about everybody in Miami knows about it and does a great job hiding it. Which is the main reason most people thought Dwyane was still a good guy until he kind of showed his true con man colors during the FA stuff. I will say that about 95 percent of the rumors that have leaked out about him (only to be covered up by people in Miami and at the NBA offices and ESPN) are accurate or very close to it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
Wow, the Magic are taking their sweet ass time deciding on Redick.

They said they were going to take to Friday just to tie up the Bulls money because that's what competitors do.

afternoon saloon just said theres a report the bulls made an offer to shaq

edit: further reported they low-balled him and shaq is probably goin to atlanta...good thing

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)

edit: further reported they low-balled him and shaq is probably goin to atlanta...good thing

Interesting.

Phew, that was close.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
Wow, the Magic are taking their sweet ass time deciding on Redick.

I really hate that. I'm sure Marcin Gortat and JJ Redick do too.

Damn, I was hoping he'd go to the Heat and be a liability.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
The Bulls "low-balled" Raja Bell too, apparently.

In other news, Ronnie Brewer will be a Bull if Redick is matched. ESPN says that Brewer really wants to come here.

I'd really like both of them and have a SG-SF rotation of Redick-Brewer-Korver-Deng-Johnson. Hell, maybe if Johnson realizes his Point-Forward potential, he could run the point at times to let Derrick rest.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
I'd really like both of them and have a SG-SF rotation of Redick-Brewer-Korver-Deng-Johnson. Hell, maybe if Johnson realizes his Point-Forward potential, he could run the point at times to let Derrick rest.

Wait, James Johnson as point guard? NO THANKS! He's way too clumsy with the ball.