NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)
The CBA blocks us from trading anything to the Magic, doesn't it?

Correct. Redick can be traded to anyone BUT the Bulls.

With that said, Brewer is almost a lock to be a Bull, and I absolutely love it. He's been in constant contact with the Bulls and there is strong mutual interest. Once the Magic officially announce that they are matching Redick, I expect the Bulls to announce that they have signed Brewer. And they would probably still go get someone like Matt Barnes.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 12:22 AM)
Correct. Redick can be traded to anyone BUT the Bulls.

With that said, Brewer is almost a lock to be a Bull, and I absolutely love it. He's been in constant contact with the Bulls and there is strong mutual interest. Once the Magic officially announce that they are matching Redick, I expect the Bulls to announce that they have signed Brewer. And they would probably still go get someone like Matt Barnes.

Dadgummit.

I was really amped about Rose being able to dish to Korver or Redick.

Edit: Would anyone else try and swing a deal for Wayne Ellington? We are talking about David Kahn :P

Edit Dos: Magic bench players have to really, really hate Otis Smith. Both Gortat and Redick got decent offers from other clubs to start to only be (probably in JJ's case) matched and be a bench player.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)
Edit Dos: Magic bench players have to really, really hate Otis Smith. Both Gortat and Redick got decent offers from other clubs to start to only be (probably in JJ's case) matched and be a bench player.

It really is a dumb business decision, but their owner is rich so he can do these kind of things. Orlando is now very deep once again and is still a top 3 team in the East. Funny to see Redick will only make 2 million less (counting tax of course) than Dwight Howard this comming season to be a backup. Lets hope if we sign Brewer, Gar can somehow net another sniper to pair with Rose. (Korver alone won't get it done)

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 01:12 AM)
It really is a dumb business decision, but their owner is rich so he can do these kind of things. Orlando is now very deep once again and is still a top 3 team in the East. Funny to see Redick will only make 2 million less (counting tax of course) than Dwight Howard this comming season to be a backup. Lets hope if we sign Brewer, Gar can somehow net another sniper to pair with Rose. (Korver alone won't get it done)

He doesn't see a penny of that luxury tax money. He'll make 7 million. The Magic will have to pay him 7 million and the NBA 7 million. He won't make 2 million less than Howard, but he'll cost the Magic 2 million less.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 01:14 AM)
He doesn't see a penny of that luxury tax money. He'll make 7 million. The Magic will have to pay him 7 million and the NBA 7 million.

Thats why I said "counting tax of course." Sorry I didn't say that as good as I should have (my mistake there), but I know/meant he will make 7 (or technically 8+ since it is front loaded) mil.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 01:16 AM)
Thats why I said "counting tax of course." Sorry I didn't say that as good as I should have (my mistake there), but I know/meant he will make 7 (or technically 8+ since it is front loaded) mil.

No, it's still only 7 in the 1st yr. I believe it was 7, 7, and 5 over the 3 years.

And another note that I haven't seen, Rudy Fernandez would accept a trade to only 5 teams, and the Bulls would be 1 of those teams. The others are NY, NJ, BOS, and MIA. This is per Frank Isola who covers the Knicks.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 01:24 AM)
And another note that I haven't seen, Rudy Fernandez would accept a trade to only 5 teams, and the Bulls would be 1 of those teams. The others are NY, NJ, BOS, and MIA. This is per Frank Isola who covers the Knicks.

That would be pretty sweet, but what could we give the Blazers in return? Maybe they will feel guilty about the Aldridge for Thomas deal and cut a deal.

Do you think Gar could call up Otis and say

"Look, we really want JJ Redick and we're also looking at Matt Barnes. If you let us sign Redick, we'll do a sign and trade for Barnes giving you the second rounders we got from Utah and Phoenix, our own second rounder, and Vladimir Veremeenko (guy Bulls got in Kirk trade)"

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 04:55 AM)
Do you think Gar could call up Otis and say

"Look, we really want JJ Redick and we're also looking at Matt Barnes. If you let us sign Redick, we'll do a sign and trade for Barnes giving you the second rounders we got from Utah and Phoenix, our own second rounder, and Vladimir Veremeenko (guy Bulls got in Kirk trade)"

I think that if there was any chance at working out a sign and trade deal, the Bulls would probably have already done it.

Gotta think about it this way...with boozer in their lineup, another year from Rose, and VDN coaching right where he belongs, the Bulls are a genuine threat to the Magic in the East, at least for the #2-#3 seed. If he does that deal, he makes his own team worse and the Bulls better.

Some portion of that luxury tax payment is probably justified to him based solely on making the Bulls worse.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)
Dadgummit.

I was really amped about Rose being able to dish to Korver or Redick.

Edit: Would anyone else try and swing a deal for Wayne Ellington? We are talking about David Kahn :P

I wouldn't bring David Kahn into this! There are some strong supporters out there! :lolhitting

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
OMG that is crazy. THat is horrible money

I can't believe they didn't just try to re-sign Barnes for 2-4M, but to add 15M in Luxury tax just for Redick? Insane. Otis really, really loves his back-ups I guess.

I really wanted JJ.

So, who do the Bulls go after for SG to pair with (inevitably) Brewer?

I'd say Rudy Fernandez or try and get James Anderson/Xavier Henry since both of those guys have reportedly had contractual issues (HOW? IN THE DRAFT?) with the Spurs and Grizz.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
I'd say Rudy Fernandez or try and get James Anderson/Xavier Henry since both of those guys have reportedly had contractual issues (HOW? IN THE DRAFT?) with the Spurs and Grizz.

How? The Grizz are lowballing Xavier Henry...

SBNation.com -

Unlike in most other sports, the NBA has a system where rookies have a slotted salary based on their draft position. The whole point of the system is to prevent rookies from holding out like this. You can see that scale here.

NBA teams can only pay their rookies between 80 percent and 120 percent of those figures, so technically, there is a "negotiation." But because the difference is so small, pretty much every team just pays the player 120 percent of the rookie scale. And why not? The rookie can't do anything to seek his real market value, so it's only fair for the team to throw him a bit of a carrot and give him as much as possible while complying with the rules.

Except that's not how the Grizzlies roll. The Grizzlies have decided they'd rather pay Henry around 80 percent of the scale, and Henry is balking. The official explanation by GM Chris Wallace is that the team wants their rookies to "earn" increases with good play. But that's completely nonsensical. When a rookie signs his rookie-scale contract, he locks in his salary for the next four years (with the final two years being a team option). He doesn't just lock in one year of salary. As well as Xavier Henry plays, there's absolutely no way he can "earn" an increase until his next contract.

So really, the reason this is happening is because the Grizzlies are cheap. They're willing to dig down in the sand and piss off their first-round draft pick over what basically amounts to six-tenths of one percent of their player payroll ($300,000 on a $50 million payroll). That's not fiscal responsibility, that's frugality at it's worst.

At this point, I'm hoping Henry finds a way out of this deal and onto another team. He deserves better.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
I wouldn't bring David Kahn into this! There are some strong supporters out there! :lolhitting

Yeah, one of the many ways this is an interesting thread in that he keeps doing bizarre stuff, and people keep supporting it in here. Awesome David Kahn interview, btw:

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)

Yes, how dare people attempt to defend someone that just gets constantly s*** on by the entire media for very little reason.