NBA Offseason Thread

Sam Smith: It's All Those Jazz! Bulls have their starting two guard as NBA sources say they agree to $12.5 million three-year deal with Ronnie Brewer

Currently under contract with the Bulls:

Rose

Brewer

Deng/Korver/Johnson

Boozer/Gibson

Noah/Asik

Marc Spears from Yahoo! Sports reports that Brewer turned down an offer from Boston because of the likelihood of him starting in Chicago.

"I got an opportunity to start (in Chi). Both (Chi and Bos) are storied programs. It came down to where I could excel more," Brewer told Y!. Brewer says Celtics offered similar $, but starting & re-joining Utah teammates Boozer, Korver were main draw. Utah never made strong run.

And apparently Derrick Rose is the ONLY Bull under contract under 6'7.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
Nice deal for Brewer. If only he can shoot 3s...

I wish the search function worked. I wanted to have Ronnie Brewer's baby in 2006. I hated the Sefolosha pick. Glad we scooped him up. He can effectively guard the elite 2's in the league. Something we desperately needed.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
Would Memphis take a #1 next year for Henry?

Probably not. It'd probably have to be CHA 1st next yr and a future Bulls 1st. And with as young as our core is, that's probably a price I'd pay. Henry is a great fit.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
Yes, how dare people attempt to defend someone that just gets constantly s*** on by the entire media for very little reason.

Little reason? Have you seen the "team" he has put together?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
I wish the search function worked. I wanted to have Ronnie Brewer's baby in 2006. I hated the Sefolosha pick. Glad we scooped him up. He can effectively guard the elite 2's in the league. Something we desperately needed.

Brewer was a hell of a player two years ago. He was about as good as Luol Deng actually (at least offensively).

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
I don't think the Bulls can trade first round picks in back to back years, can they?

Well technically they own the Bobcats' 1st for next year, so dealing their 2012 pick would work.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Little reason? Have you seen the "team" he has put together?

Have you seen what the team was before he was here? Old and had no hope for the future. Now we actually have young players that are pretty solid, as well as a number of future draft picks and a ton of financial room.

No one could have expected anyone to come into Minnesota and suddenly turn them into a perennial playoff team within two years. As is, we're in much better shape than we were with McHale, and the vast majority of Kahn's non-draft moves have been pretty solid. You can question his decisions in the draft all you want, but no matter who he took in the draft, we'd be in a pretty similar position as we are today.

And yeah, I have seen the "team" that he's put together. Considering we won 15 games last year, I think we're drastically improved and should win anywhere from 20-25 games. You can hate on that all you want, but this is an organization that's rebuilding and stocking assets for the future, which is exactly what he's done.

If you disagree with any of this, please feel free to let me know exactly what Kahn has done so terribly that you could have done better. Signed Darko to an average deal? Signed Pekovic for chump change? Traded just about nothing for Michael Beasley? Seriously, what has he done to put our organization in a worse position than it was under McHale?

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Kahn is amazing and without fautls. I'm not saying he's top 5 in the NBA, and I definitely don't think we're done with the rebuilding process yet. Hell, I disagree with some of his moves, especially draft related (aaarg Wes Johnson), but the fact of the matter is that we're in a much better position than we were before. People don't seem to realize how hopeless our organization was under McHale, and Kahn has at least given the team some direction and a longterm plan. We're young and better than we used to be, which a lot of the media seems to completely ignore.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
Have you seen what the team was before he was here? Old and had no hope for the future. Now we actually have young players that are pretty solid, as well as a number of future draft picks and a ton of financial room.

No one could have expected anyone to come into Minnesota and suddenly turn them into a perennial playoff team within two years. As is, we're in much better shape than we were with McHale, and the vast majority of Kahn's non-draft moves have been pretty solid. You can question his decisions in the draft all you want, but no matter who he took in the draft, we'd be in a pretty similar position as we are today.

And yeah, I have seen the "team" that he's put together. Considering we won 15 games last year, I think we're drastically improved and should win anywhere from 20-25 games. You can hate on that all you want, but this is an organization that's rebuilding and stocking assets for the future, which is exactly what he's done.

If you disagree with any of this, please feel free to let me know exactly what Kahn has done so terribly that you could have done better. Signed Darko to an average deal? Signed Pekovic for chump change? Traded just about nothing for Michael Beasley? Seriously, what has he done to put our organization in a worse position than it was under McHale?

When you have three first round picks in consecutive years, three of which came in the top-6, you're supposed to wind up with more than Johnny Flynn, Wes Johnson, Lazar Heyward and Martell Webster.

With that many picks they were going to add young assets regardless, but he could have managed them far better. He took three point guards in 2009 and so far all he has to show for it is Johnny Flynn. Their best or second best asset right now is still playing in Barcelona because he wasn't happy with playing in Minnesota and/or splitting time with Flynn. Curry, Lawson and Jennings all had far better rookie seasons than Flynn, who many seem to think is destined to be a backup PG.

Their best player by a wide margin is still Kevin Love, who was already on the roster. Picking up Michael Beasley was a nice move, but he's largely blocked by Love and the SF trio of Brewer/Webster/Johnson.

They still don't have a legitimate starting center, an above average point guard, or a solid shooting guard (Brewer looks like a far better fit at SF). The only position they're DEFINITELY set at is PF, where he inherited two solid options already.

Really, I don't see how you can say he's made any progress. They're younger, but anyone can get younger. The problem is they still stink.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
When you have three first round picks in consecutive years, three of which came in the top-6, you're supposed to wind up with more than Johnny Flynn, Wes Johnson, Lazar Heyward and Martell Webster.

With that many picks they were going to add young assets regardless, but he could have managed them far better. He took three point guards in 2009 and so far all he has to show for it is Johnny Flynn. Their best or second best asset right now is still playing in Barcelona because he wasn't happy with playing in Minnesota and/or splitting time with Flynn. Curry, Lawson and Jennings all had far better rookie seasons than Flynn, who many seem to think is destined to be a backup PG.

Their best player by a wide margin is still Kevin Love, who was already on the roster. Picking up Michael Beasley was a nice move, but he's largely blocked by Love and the SF trio of Brewer/Webster/Johnson.

They still don't have a legitimate starting center, an above average point guard, or a solid shooting guard (Brewer looks like a far better fit at SF). The only position they're DEFINITELY set at is PF, where he inherited two solid options already.

Really, I don't see how you can say he's made any progress. They're younger, but anyone can get younger. The problem is they still stink.

I'd rather have a crappy team of young players than a crappy team of old players (though I agree he's made that team better, despite the Rubio situation)

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
I'd rather have a crappy team of young players than a crappy team of old players (though I agree he's made that team better, despite the Rubio situation)

You missed part of my point. ANYONE can make a team younger, that's not particularly difficult. All you have to do is trade your starters/let them walk and replace them with younger, crappier players. The important part is adding players that might make a difference down the road.

So far he's not doing that. In fact, you can argue he's gone backwards since he gave up Al Jefferson, his best player who is only 25, for a trade exception and picks (that's not the move I'm worried about since it had to be done, just adds to my point).

He could have added Stephen Curry and DeMarcus Cousins, but he didn't. Those are two players that can have a drastic impact on the team's future. Instead he has Johnny Flynn and a likely solid but not great wing player in Wes Johnson while he keeps hoping that Rubio will join the team at some point. That's not good management.

He inherited a team with two solid post players under 25 and not much else. Now he has a team with one solid post player under 25, a talented but problematic forward with no position, and a lot of other mediocre assets.

The only real hope on that team is if someone like Flynn or Johnson is a lot better than people think or Rubio finally comes over and wows everyone. That's not really a good sign.

No major disagreements. I do like Webster and think he'll be a quality player for us (and think that was a good deal for the team as aw hole), but I agree that we should have taken Cousins instead of Johnson, and obviously either Curry or Jennings would have been better than Flynn. As I said, most of Kahn's faults have been through his drafting, and I certainly don't agree with everything he's done through the draft.

He took three point guards in 2009 (...)

No, he took two, one of which is in Europe. The trade with Denver was done already when the team took Lawson, and he was taken for the Nuggets. The Nuggets drafted him, but since they had to wait to officially announce the trade, the Timberwolves sent the pick into the league.

Their best or second best asset right now is still playing in Barcelona because he wasn't happy with playing in Minnesota and/or splitting time with Flynn.

He's also developing and maturing while not on our nickel. Obviously it would have been nice for Rubio to come over right away, but it seemed like a longshot anyway, and he's still got a ton of potential. He'll come over after next season, and whether or not he performs will definitely impact how Kahn's tenure is evaluated.

I imagine Love will stay as the 6th man, as the team loves having him come off the bench. I don't really understand it, but Beasley is a quality player with a ton of talent that we picked up for essentially nothing. He'll fit our system better than Jefferson, and is still incredibly young. I don't see how anyone could criticize that move, regardless of his position. I imagine if they want him to play with Love, he'll move into the SF spot, with one of Brewer/Johnson/Webster taking over the two-guard responsibilities.

I think it's too early to tell about a couple positions, given the youth the team has. We could potentially be set at PG and SF (depending on Rubio and Johnson), and is Pekovic is as good as some of the reports I've read, we could have a solid C as well. Right now, the team is really focused on developing the young talent that we already have, which is more than you could say about the Wolves during the McHale era. Are we out of the rebuilding phase? Absolutely not, but are we better than we were last year? I think so, and I think that the organization (for once) actually has a plan that it's trying to execute.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
The only real hope on that team is if someone like Flynn or Johnson is a lot better than people think or Rubio finally comes over and wows everyone. That's not really a good sign.

Everyone has said that Johnson is probably going to be an above average player, just not a star. I agree that Flynn turning into something more would be a big deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson is an above average NBA player, which is a solid addition at the 4th pick in the draft. We're a superstar short, no doubt, but we still have some talent on this team.

Edited by Felix

I'm not knocking the Beasley deal, that's great value talent-wise. However, Beasley doesn't really fit the roster. Both he and Love are the best fit at PF, he's not really quick enough or a good enough ball-handler to regularly play SF. I look at it a lot like the Jefferson/Love situation: neither can defend a position besides PF (though admittedly Beasley can play away from the basket on offense a lot better than Al). Keeping Love on the bench would be epically dumb, he can easily get them 16-11. He absolutely has to be getting 35 MPG.

I don't really see how you can say a lineup of Flynn/Brewer/Webster or Johnson/Love/Milicic is better than pretty much any NBA lineup. There's one above average NBA player in that mix, I guess two if you count Beasley (though his lack of D largely negates his offensive ability). At least last year they had Jefferson to get them some buckets in the post.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
PG: Rose/???

SG: Brewer/Korver (both are swingmen)

SF: Deng/Johnson

PF: Boozer/Gibson

C: Noah/Asik

I'd guess that is the depth chart right now. I'd really like the Bulls to pick up another shooter. Maybe they can find a PG with decent range.

A backup PG with range or a sniper as a SG (which I would prefer, Johnson can swing from SF/PF) would greatly help. Korver can not be your only legit threat from downtown. (unless Luol Deng can actually.. you know.. hit threes at a respectable rate or JJ takes a huge step up from last season) I gotta say adding a 2 guard with great length (and great athleticism/defense) in Brewer is very beneficial to Rose's future. Shame he can't shoot from long distance, but in parts of an up tempo style, where Rose can thrive, Brewer will be a very good fit in the open court. Hopefully he's fine after that nasty hamstring injury he had last season.

God I'd love Henry. I would consider offering either the Charlotte Pick + 3 2nd Rounders or Charlotte Pick + Our Pick Next Year

By the way, the Bulls can trade the '11 pick, since you can only not trade FUTURE back to backs. So, we couldn't do '11 and '12.