NBA Offseason Thread

McGrady is worth a shot. You can't do much better right now. If he gets hurt, you sign a guy out of the NBDL and make do. It's not like there's a lot of minutes to go around right now. Is it really that great if we sign a Roger Mason Jr. type and he plays 10 minutes/game? Will he make enough of a difference to matter? No...

Basically, you see if McGrady can work out and if he gives you solid bench minutes, it's great. If not, you split those minutes among Brewer, Korver, JJ, and sign a D-leaguer to fill the bench. I'd prefer to take that chance.

The problem with getting McGrady is that if you do get him, how much do you pay him? The Bulls have $4 million left to spend before reaching the cap. Even if you give McGrady a two year deal worth $5-6 million, they'd have less than $2 million left to spend on a big. We don't know how good Omer Asik will be.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 08:19 PM)
McGrady is worth a shot. You can't do much better right now. If he gets hurt, you sign a guy out of the NBDL and make do. It's not like there's a lot of minutes to go around right now. Is it really that great if we sign a Roger Mason Jr. type and he plays 10 minutes/game? Will he make enough of a difference to matter? No...

Basically, you see if McGrady can work out and if he gives you solid bench minutes, it's great. If not, you split those minutes among Brewer, Korver, JJ, and sign a D-leaguer to fill the bench. I'd prefer to take that chance.

McGrady is a me first type of guy. There are a lot of NBA people hoping he would take the minimum in Miami so he could ruin that team. I would be shocked if the Bulls sign him even if he would play for the minimum and would be more shocked if the Bulls signed him if he actually was a useful player and lasted the entire season on the roster.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 08:40 PM)
McGrady is a me first type of guy. There are a lot of NBA people hoping he would take the minimum in Miami so he could ruin that team. I would be shocked if the Bulls sign him even if he would play for the minimum and would be more shocked if the Bulls signed him if he actually was a useful player and lasted the entire season on the roster.

I strongly disagree with you on that one. McGrady was one of my favorite players back in the days, I catch over half of the magic/rockets games back in the days. People often mistaken him as a me first type of guy because he takes a high volume of shots. But when playing with Yao Ming, he often feeds the ball to the post to set up Yao, and takes his shots when Yao is not available. You are talking about a swingman who was one of the best passers in the league at his position, and averages 5-6 assists a game in his career. He is definitely not a shoot first type of guy like Jamal Crawford, Allen Iverson, or even Kobe.

Character-wise, he is actually a pretty mild manner guy. Rarely does he go into public and criticize anyone or demand anything of any sort. And look at his effort and donations to the Dafur Charities, switching his number from 1 to 3 just to promote his humanitarian efforts, he is actually a pretty unselfish guy to say the least. Before the end of last season, he actually talked about willing to take less money to play in New York if the Knicks were able to sign Lebron and Bosh. Also, at this point of his career, the last thing he cares about is his individual glory. He is most likely looking to be part of a winning team in which he will finally make it out of the first round.

All that said, signing T-Mac will be a risk, but it' a risk that's worth taking as he can still be a good passer, a threat to score and shoot from long range, even in limited minutes.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
I strongly disagree with you on that one. McGrady was one of my favorite players back in the days, I catch over half of the magic/rockets games back in the days. People often mistaken him as a me first type of guy because he takes a high volume of shots. But when playing with Yao Ming, he often feeds the ball to the post to set up Yao, and takes his shots when Yao is not available. You are talking about a swingman who was one of the best passers in the league at his position, and averages 5-6 assists a game in his career. He is definitely not a shoot first type of guy like Jamal Crawford, Allen Iverson, or even Kobe.

Character-wise, he is actually a pretty mild manner guy. Rarely does he go into public and criticize anyone or demand anything of any sort. And look at his effort and donations to the Dafur Charities, switching his number from 1 to 3 just to promote his humanitarian efforts, he is actually a pretty unselfish guy to say the least. Before the end of last season, he actually talked about willing to take less money to play in New York if the Knicks were able to sign Lebron and Bosh. Also, at this point of his career, the last thing he cares about is his individual glory. He is most likely looking to be part of a winning team in which he will finally make it out of the first round.

All that said, signing T-Mac will be a risk, but it' a risk that's worth taking as he can still be a good passer, a threat to score and shoot from long range, even in limited minutes.

It is only a risk if he signs for multiple years and eats up a big amount of cap space. If he was willing to sign for 2 years and 7-8 mil . . . then the risk is minimal. Gar/Pax has essentially locked himself into a 3 year period with this team (Brewer, Watson, Korver all signed for 3 years). If T-Mac is brutal then we're not REALLY strapped for cap space any worse than we already are. I'd be on board. Who knows, maybe the guy fully recovers and has a few years left in the tank as a spot starter/reserve.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 11:22 PM)
It is only a risk if he signs for multiple years and eats up a big amount of cap space. If he was willing to sign for 2 years and 7-8 mil . . . then the risk is minimal. Gar/Pax has essentially locked himself into a 3 year period with this team (Brewer, Watson, Korver all signed for 3 years). If T-Mac is brutal then we're not REALLY strapped for cap space any worse than we already are. I'd be on board. Who knows, maybe the guy fully recovers and has a few years left in the tank as a spot starter/reserve.

Even if you only get half of a season out of him, you are still getting 25 PPG in those games. No one else is going to bring anything like that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
Even if you only get half of a season out of him, you are still getting 25 PPG in those games. No one else is going to bring anything like that.

McGrady will never average 25 ppg in the NBA again. Unless he's on the worst team in the league as the 1st option. Even then it's not likely.

He did it 5 straight years in his prime, and not once since 04-05. He averaged 9.4 ppg last year in New York.

New York.

The New York Knicks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)

I don't think you've watched McGrady play recently, he hasn't been anything close to an explosive, efficient scorer in at least 3 years, arguably more (he still had an impact but took WAY too many jumpers for most of his Houston tenure).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Chris Paul, according to Ken Berger of CBS, hopes to have played his last game for the Hornets and has set into motion a plan to be traded by the start of the upcoming season.

His teams of choice are said to be the Knicks, Lakers and Magic, and people close to him have said he has played his last game for the Hornets. A trade to the Lakers would be disastrous for Paul's fantasy value, while a move to the Magic is probably not ideal, either. But if Paul could land in New York this fall, he oould have one of the biggest fantasy seasons we've ever seen from a point guard. Paul recently signed with LeBron James' marketing company, LRMR, which also fuels speculation that he will fight his way out of New Orleans, despite having two years left on his contract. Stay tuned. Jul. 21 - 8:22 pm et

-----

I would bet money on NY

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
If Chris Paul goes to NY I think its almost a sure fire thing that Carmelo follows the next season. That would make things a little more interesting in the East.

I'd hate to see my favorite player go to the Knicks, but it'd sure be fun to watch.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
There seems to be a lot of f***ing collusion going on in the NBA right now.

lets just have the eastern all-stars play the western all-stars and get it over with. There are going to be so many teams that just have absolutely no chance to compete (not that this doesn't happen anyways). This whole Free Agent thing has left a horrible taste in my mouth, it all seems a lot less like sports and a whole lot more like some type of television show. I dont know.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:51 AM)
lets just have the eastern all-stars play the western all-stars and get it over with. There are going to be so many teams that just have absolutely no chance to compete (not that this doesn't happen anyways). This whole Free Agent thing has left a horrible taste in my mouth, it all seems a lot less like sports and a whole lot more like some type of television show. I dont know.

Thank god for college hoops. I seriously don't like the direction the NBA is headed in right now.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:19 AM)
Chris Paul, according to Ken Berger of CBS, hopes to have played his last game for the Hornets and has set into motion a plan to be traded by the start of the upcoming season.

His teams of choice are said to be the Knicks, Lakers and Magic, and people close to him have said he has played his last game for the Hornets. A trade to the Lakers would be disastrous for Paul's fantasy value, while a move to the Magic is probably not ideal, either. But if Paul could land in New York this fall, he oould have one of the biggest fantasy seasons we've ever seen from a point guard. Paul recently signed with LeBron James' marketing company, LRMR, which also fuels speculation that he will fight his way out of New Orleans, despite having two years left on his contract. Stay tuned. Jul. 21 - 8:22 pm et

-----

I would bet money on NY

Otis should be on the phone right now offering Nelson + VC + something else.

We might have to take Okafor's contract back to make a deal though.

Nelson + VC + Gortat for Paul and Okafor perhaps?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:07 AM)
Otis should on the phone right now offering Nelson + VC + something else.

That would be a ridiculously lopsided trade in the Magic's favor. Just because Paul wants to be moved doesn't mean NO will actually trade him.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:07 AM)
Otis should be on the phone right now offering Nelson + VC + something else.

It'd be:

Nelson + VC + Gortat + 3 Firsts or something