NBA Offseason Thread

I seriously wish a team would just take a stand with these players and not give in to their trade demands. If they are that serious about not playing out their contract, call them out of it and see if they hold true. Chris Paul isn't going to sacrifice his money -- guaranteed -- so he would def. still play if not traded. But, of course, no team can take that risk.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 05:47 AM)
I seriously wish a team would just take a stand with these players and not give in to their trade demands. If they are that serious about not playing out their contract, call them out of it and see if they hold true. Chris Paul isn't going to sacrifice his money -- guaranteed -- so he would def. still play if not traded. But, of course, no team can take that risk.

Not yet, but I have a feeling the day is coming. The fans are starting to get angry about the direction of the NBA, if not professional sports in general. Players are a bunch of whiney, me-first p*****s. They b**** and moan about disrespect, despite the fact that they signed a contract and 3 years later want to change their mind. 20 years ago guys would use that as motivation - play your ass off to finish the contract and make the next one a big one. But not today. Today you just complain and complain and use the media (with all of their kiss-ass reporters who are nothing but mouthpieces for the players) and you get traded.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
Not yet, but I have a feeling the day is coming. The fans are starting to get angry about the direction of the NBA, if not professional sports in general. Players are a bunch of whiney, me-first p*****s. They b**** and moan about disrespect, despite the fact that they signed a contract and 3 years later want to change their mind. 20 years ago guys would use that as motivation - play your ass off to finish the contract and make the next one a big one. But not today. Today you just complain and complain and use the media (with all of their kiss-ass reporters who are nothing but mouthpieces for the players) and you get traded.

You know what, I agree with you but (different sport) I think it is a lot more than just a little crazy when you have someone like Chris Johnson (Titans) making less money in 2010 than his current backup who rushed for 48 yards last year (heard that on ESPN.) I think they are more than justified to ask for more money, just like when you feel you need a raise at work, you ask for it.

I just noticed you are talking about backing out of a contract*, but I am sure you get what I am saying

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
There seems to be a lot of f***ing collusion going on in the NBA right now.

That's because there is. The NBA is awesome if you like wrestling, and if that's the cup of tea of anybody here, go ahead and enjoy. But a lot of people are getting tired of the fact that the entire league seems colluted and scripted right now. I've really had a hard time watching NBA games not involving the Bulls already in recent years, and it'll only be worse in 2010-2011.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
You know what, I agree with you but (different sport) I think it is a lot more than just a little crazy when you have someone like Chris Johnson (Titans) making less money in 2010 than his current backup who rushed for 48 yards last year (heard that on ESPN.) I think they are more than justified to ask for more money, just like when you feel you need a raise at work, you ask for it.

I just noticed you are talking about backing out of a contract*, but I am sure you get what I am saying

I agree there's a gray area where players have a legitimate gripe about their contract. Football that tends to happen because of the way the system is set up (rookies get paid an enormous amount despite having done nothing).

To me basketball is a different animal because everything is so set from the beginning. If you prove yourself to be a franchise caliber player, you'll be paid like it after a few years. In Paul's situation, it's not about the money, it's about not being happy with the franchise (i.e., the market he's in) and the players around him. He's just unhappy that he chose to resign there for 4 years back in 08 but now they suck.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
I agree there's a gray area where players have a legitimate gripe about their contract. Football that tends to happen because of the way the system is set up (rookies get paid an enormous amount despite having done nothing).

To me basketball is a different animal because everything is so set from the beginning. If you prove yourself to be a franchise caliber player, you'll be paid like it after a few years. In Paul's situation, it's not about the money, it's about not being happy with the franchise (i.e., the market he's in) and the players around him. He's just unhappy that he chose to resign there for 4 years back in 08 but now they suck.

Yeah I don't mind it in the NFL if the player has proven his worth (CJ) and he's getting paid (relatively) nothing, but when players like Urlacher or Tommie Harris demand that bulls*** after playing like crap for years, that pisses me off. I wish we would have told them to screw off.

The new CBA in the NFL is going to be tricky, these players are getting killed money wise and the greed of the owners is going to be hard to overcome. They shouldn't be the lowest paid athletes of the big 3 when the league rakes in such a ridiculous amount of money.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
Chris Paul joins the list of "superstars" who have no rivalry instinct of beating the best.

I now hate him and the Miami Threegos

Bah...he's in a somewhat unique situation of a team that has been desperately trying to dump salary around him rather than trying to get better. That's gotta count as a check in his box...his team isn't really shooting to win

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
It'd be:

Nelson + VC + Gortat + 3 Firsts or something

Consider this though.

Out of those 3 teams, what could the Lakers and the Knicks offer that would be better than Nelson (starting PG who'd easily share minutes with Collson), VC (big expiring contract with Peja make NO major players in FA next off-season) + Gortat (upgrade as a starting C) for CP3 and Okafor?

NY could offer say Randolph and Chandler plus something, the Lakers I doubt would move one of their big 4 (who are pretty old and don't have favourable contracts).

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
Regardless who NO gets in a Paul deal, unless they are trading Paul straight up for a guy like Rose, Williams or Wall, they are not gonna get equal value for a stud like Chris Paul.

Man, it feels weird to agree with you Gerry. :lol: Teams never win when they trade a superstar, the only question is whether they get 40 cents on the dollar or 70.

And my guess is Gallinari would be involved if he went to New York. Danilo has some potential as a wing scorer and the Knicks would likely have to cut some salary to have room for Paul/Anthony/Stoudemire anyways (especially with the CBA almost certain to change in favor of the owners).

This trend of "super teams" is extremely worrisome to me. It is NOT good for the NBA to have so many super stars in so few cities. Stern needs to find a way to stop this. I think this could be EXTREMELY damaging to the NBA if it continues.

My solution is raise the max deals to 19-20 million but in act a hard cap.

I don't think NO sees a PG as the ideal return for Paul. The genesis of this entire debacle is partly due to the emergence of Collison. I'd look for the Hornets to seek cap relief coupled with picks. The Knicks only offer one of those things. The Blazers are probably the best taker here.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
This trend of "super teams" is extremely worrisome to me. It is NOT good for the NBA to have so many super stars in so few cities. Stern needs to find a way to stop this. I think this could be EXTREMELY damaging to the NBA if it continues.

I think the NBA doesn't really care about most NBA cities haveing competitive. They just need interesting teams in the big cities/metro areas. I think it's a virtual lock that CP3 ends up in NY and the Melo follows next year. The NBA is not going let NY lay barren.