NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
Sam Smith reporting that Kurt Thomas verbally agreed to sign with the Bulls.

Yep.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...urt-thomas.html

Bulls agree to two-year deal with Kurt Thomas

July 22, 2010 11:58 PM | 1 Comment

By K.C. Johnson

When the Bulls traded John Salmons to the Bucks in February, initial indications were that Kurt Thomas might be headed to Chicago.

Instead, Hakim Warrick arrived and Thomas turned in stellar playoff minutes in the Bucks' near upset of the Hawks in the first round.

As much for that performance as the fact Brad Miller left via free agency to Houston, Thomas now is a Bull, agreeing to a two-year deal late Thursday, a league source confirmed. Sam Smith of Bulls.com first reported the agreement. The Tribune previously had reported the Bulls' interest in Thomas.

Photo: Kurt Thomas closes guards Atlanta's Joe Johnson. (Jason Getz / Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Thomas, 38, is a 14-year veteran who long has been known as one of the league's top citizens. He can also still play -- as his playoff performance indicated.

The 6-foot-9-inch forward has averaged 8.8 points and 7 rebounds for seven teams, most notably a seven-season run with the Knicks. Thomas will serve as an insurance big man should rookie Omer Asik not pan out.

Thomas, a strong defender and rebounder, brings the Bulls' roster to 11 players. Six of those are new. Management hopes to add one more wing player via free agency.

Oh, and Matt Barnes to the Lakers. http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...tory?id=5403111

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
This trend of "super teams" is extremely worrisome to me. It is NOT good for the NBA to have so many super stars in so few cities. Stern needs to find a way to stop this. I think this could be EXTREMELY damaging to the NBA if it continues.

My solution is raise the max deals to 19-20 million but in act a hard cap.

At least TRU will have another bandwagon to jump on when he gets tired of the Heat.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 12:43 AM)
PG Rose/Watson

SG Brewer

SF Deng/Korver/Johnson

PF Boozer/Gibson

C Noah/Thomas/Asik

For missing out on the big 3, the Bulls have seriously done an outstanding job of putting this team together. I would love to add one more shooter that can play the 2 off the bench and I'd be quite happy. I'm really starting to love the make up of this squad.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 06:38 PM)
Who would touch Bynum with his injury history?

If you're holding Chris Paul and he genuinely forces a trade by the deadline this year, saying that he won't sign an extension in 2012 under any circumstances and you guess that there's going to be no basketball in 2011 so essentially becomes an expiring contract...isn't Bynum and a few draft picks more useful than having him walk away? I'm sure you could spin Bynum off to a team willing to part with more picks as well.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
This trend of "super teams" is extremely worrisome to me. It is NOT good for the NBA to have so many super stars in so few cities. Stern needs to find a way to stop this. I think this could be EXTREMELY damaging to the NBA if it continues.

My solution is raise the max deals to 19-20 million but in act a hard cap.

I would be much happier with a Super Team in NYC and a Super Team in Miami than I am with one super team in the whole league.

2 Super teams and there's at least a good conference finals matchup

If we sign a sniper like Mason, we will only have 1 garbage time player, and that's JJ.

And if that's the case, then I'd like to use the last three roster spots on guys like Bouldin, Byars, and Alexander for garbage time with I'm going to assume JJ and Asik (though I think Asik will get regular minutes).

First Team

PG: Derrick Rose

SG: Ronnie Brewer

SF: Luol Deng

PF: Carlos Boozer

C: Joakim Noah

Second Team

PG: CJ Watson

SG: [Free Agent Signing]

SF: Kyle Korver

PF: Taj Gibson

C: Kurt Thomas

Third Team

PG: Matt Bouldin

SG: Derrick Byars

SF: James Johnson

PF: Joe Alexander

C: Omer Asik

That is really some amazing depth there.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
I think we're out of cap space now depending on how much Thomas costs. Thomas is an alright backup. He'll probably end up being a 10 PER player.

KC

Management hopes to add one more wing player via free agency.

Jud Buechler: "Lebron is right to play with superstars"

While NBA legends Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson have come out to say that they would never have chosen to join forces with other NBA stars to win a title, former Chicago Bulls forward -- and three-time NBA champion -- Jud Buechler said today that Lebron James made the right decision by signing with Miami.

"Could I have tried to win one myself?" said Buechler, speaking to no one in particular on the back porch of his house. "Sure. That would have been great. But I tried to do that with the Nets, Spurs and Warriors. And not only did I not win a title, but I often didn't even get in games. That's when I knew I needed to make a move."

Following the 1993-1994 season, Buechler chose not to re-sign with Golden State -- partly because he wasn't offered a contract, and partly for the opportunity to play with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.

"You know, all respect to Michael, but it's sort of convenient for him to come out and say that he never would have done what Lebron did," said Buechler. "But he already had Scottie on his team. And then I came along, too. It's not like he did it by himself. I averaged 2.7 points per game during our three-peat."

Those mid-90s Bulls teams are regarded among the greatest teams in NBA history, and Buechler's name is listed on the roster.

"I know it is. I check to make sure it's still there regularly," he said. "At the end of the day, careers are measured by championships. Lebron knows that. And I think someday he'll be mentioned in the same sentence as Bill Russell, Magic, Michael, Kobe, and Jud."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 09:47 AM)
Am I failing to register the sarcasm in your response or are you failing to register that from the original article?

You have failed to register that you are a scientist and I am an idiot .

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
So around $3 million left to spend then?

Depending on how they've structured all their deals, maybe a little less, maybe a little more. At this point, there's probably clauses we don't know about that somehow affect the dollars, and there's always the veterans exemption once they get pushed closer to the cap or sign 2nd roudners.

According to Sam Smith though, you're right.

Thomas agreed to a deal for slightly more than the veterans’ minimum, which means the Bulls have about $3 million remaining to fill out the roster, which now has 11 players.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
If we sign a sniper like Mason, we will only have 1 garbage time player, and that's JJ.

And if that's the case, then I'd like to use the last three roster spots on guys like Bouldin, Byars, and Alexander for garbage time with I'm going to assume JJ and Asik (though I think Asik will get regular minutes).

First Team

PG: Derrick Rose

SG: Ronnie Brewer

SF: Luol Deng

PF: Carlos Boozer

C: Joakim Noah

Second Team

PG: CJ Watson

SG: [Free Agent Signing]

SF: Kyle Korver

PF: Taj Gibson

C: Kurt Thomas

Third Team

PG: Matt Bouldin

SG: Derrick Byars

SF: James Johnson

PF: Joe Alexander

C: Omer Asik

That is really some amazing depth there.

This team is going to be gooooood and will only get better in the coming years. I'm pumped.