NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
Why would that matter? Has it come to this in the NBA that not only do you get your wish to be traded when under contract, they actually are supposed to trade you to the place you want to go most? Its ridiculous. Paul is being repped by Lebron's guys now. If he gets his supposed wish, the NBA will be in a lot of trouble in a couple of years.

Personally, I hope if they trade Paul, I hope they send him to the least desirable place he wants to go. The Hornets still have the upper hand here.

I have a feeling Paul is going nowhere. Bulls now clear favorites to sign McGrady according to Marc Stein. So as long as he a) agrees to a bench role and B) is healthy, Stein says he will be a Bull. Pretty happy about this signing, but makes even a more ridiculous numbers crunch. Granted he wont be healthy the entire year, but still is Watson going to be happy with 5 minutes a game? Kover with 10? McGrady with 10? Brewer with 20? We sign him, we are probably the deepest team in the NBA, but that means nothing when the NBA is about five on five.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
I have a feeling Paul is going nowhere. Bulls now clear favorites to sign McGrady according to Marc Stein. So as long as he a) agrees to a bench role and B) is healthy, Stein says he will be a Bull. Pretty happy about this signing, but makes even a more ridiculous numbers crunch. Granted he wont be healthy the entire year, but still is Watson going to be happy with 5 minutes a game? Kover with 10? McGrady with 10? Brewer with 20? We sign him, we are probably the deepest team in the NBA, but that means nothing when the NBA is about five on five.

I can't believe so many people are salivating at the potential "depth" of this team. Depth in the NBA doesn't mean jack unless you have multiple injuries. If Rose and Noah don't continue their natural evolution, depth won't mean a thing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
Why would that matter? Has it come to this in the NBA that not only do you get your wish to be traded when under contract, they actually are supposed to trade you to the place you want to go most? Its ridiculous. Paul is being repped by Lebron's guys now. If he gets his supposed wish, the NBA will be in a lot of trouble in a couple of years.

Personally, I hope if they trade Paul, I hope they send him to the least desirable place he wants to go. The Hornets still have the upper hand here.

CP3 still is basically an expiring contract at the end of this year if you assume the lockout. If the Clippers (I'll just use them as a proxy for the least desirable team possible) were to give up the farm for him...if he didn't want to be there, they'd get a grand total of 1 season out of him before the lockout and FA hit for him.

It's no different than the Brewers trading Fielder right now and the Sox not wanting to trade for him if they don't think they can extend him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
I can't believe so many people are salivating at the potential "depth" of this team. Depth in the NBA doesn't mean jack unless you have multiple injuries. If Rose and Noah don't continue their natural evolution, depth won't mean a thing.

Was I the only one who watched those playoff games where the Suns bench and the Celtics bench stepped up and shredded their opponents 2nd units to the point that the first unit didn't even need to come back in?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
Depth in the NBA doesn't mean jack unless you have multiple injuries.

That's simply false. Yes, it's not the end all be all, but to say it means jack is wrong.

Edited by WHarris1

So...if we want to stop talking about depth...if we assume everyone stays healthy, isn't Brewer/Rose/Noah/Deng/Boozer a very good starting 5 as well?

It's not "Wade/trained monkey/Trained tall monkey/Lebron/Bosh", but that lineup can (depending on development) be as good as any other lineup in the East.

Regardless of everything, I think it's clear this team's success is dependent on Derrick Rose's evolution. Based on what I read about last night and all of the summer, Rose is about to take off become a top-ten player in the NBA. With some better players around him and in particular one amazing shooter (Korver), one amazing fast break player (Brewer) and one terrific inside scorer (Boozer), I think Rose becomes a 23 ppg, 8 asp guy this season. To me it doesn't matter who the 11th guy is, if Rose continues to develop he can be a Wade-esque player.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
Regardless of everything, I think it's clear this team's success is dependent on Derrick Rose's evolution. Based on what I read about last night and all of the summer, Rose is about to take off become a top-ten player in the NBA. With some better players around him and in particular one amazing shooter (Korver), one amazing fast break player (Brewer) and one terrific inside scorer (Boozer), I think Rose becomes a 23 ppg, 8 asp guy this season. To me it doesn't matter who the 11th guy is, if Rose continues to develop he can be a Wade-esque player.

There really is no limit to how good Rose can be. There's no one with his combination of athleticism and skills in the entire league.

There are guys who are stronger, taller, etc., but he's quicker. Than all of them.

He needs to get to the foul line more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
CP3 still is basically an expiring contract at the end of this year if you assume the lockout. If the Clippers (I'll just use them as a proxy for the least desirable team possible) were to give up the farm for him...if he didn't want to be there, they'd get a grand total of 1 season out of him before the lockout and FA hit for him.

It's no different than the Brewers trading Fielder right now and the Sox not wanting to trade for him if they don't think they can extend him.

Its totally different. It would be like Fielder telling Milwaukee he wanted to be traded and also telling them which team to trade him to.

Assumming the lockout, you would also probably have to assume the new CBA will be different, and might behoove a guy like Paul from demanding a trade now. I read somewhere where one aspect of the new agreement may be a sort of franchise tag like they have in the NFL. Paul might be stuck where he didn't want to be.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Its totally different. It would be like Fielder telling Milwaukee he wanted to be traded and also telling them which team to trade him to.

No, it'd be like Fielder telling the team that it'll take 8/$225 to extend him and the Yankees offering more than any other team because they know they can afford him at that price.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
No, it'd be like Fielder telling the team that it'll take 8/$225 to extend him and the Yankees offering more than any other team because they know they can afford him at that price.

Paul's going to get a max contract no matter where he goes. If the rules stay the same and he wants to go somewhere else for less, good for him, but he has zero leverage, and players telling teams to trade them and telling them where to trade them will ruin the league if it is allowed to happen.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)

I'm gonna go ahead & disagree w/ you. Depth means a lot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
Paul's going to get a max contract no matter where he goes. If the rules stay the same and he wants to go somewhere else for less, good for him, but he has zero leverage, and players telling teams to trade them and telling them where to trade them will ruin the league if it is allowed to happen.

He has plenty of leverage if he simply tells a team that he won't sign with them if they trade for him. You're right, he'll get a max contract somewhere...but there's no reason to trade for him if he's said he won't sign with you.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:19 PM)
I don't have a problem with T-MAC as long as he understands his role on this team. The minute he protests he should be dropped like it's hot, but as risks go it's a pretty decent one to take.

Between having watched the Iverson meltdown last year and having no contending team other than the Bulls interested in him...and his only other option being the Clippers...and even the Knicks not wanting a part of him, if he's not going to get the message, he never will.

At least as of now, McGrady couldn't be saying things more correctly.

The Bulls are prepared to sign Tracy McGrady if he proves to be sufficiently healthy in a workout Monday and can convince the team he is willing to accept a bench role, one source familiar with Chicago's thinking said Sunday.

"Nothing is done until it's done, but I expect the Bulls to sign McGrady later this week," the source said.

Another unknown is what kind of contract McGrady can command from the Bulls. But McGrady has said money and years are not priorities after earning nearly $23 million last season with Houston and New York.

Although he has expressed interest in snagging one of the spots on Miami's bench in support of the LeBron James-Dwyane Wade-Chris Bosh triumvirate and he auditioned for the Los Angeles Clippers last week, Chicago is undeniably where McGrady has been hoping to wind up.

McGrady made his desires evident in several recent messages on his Twitter feed, including his pronouncements Saturday that he has "unfinished business" with the Bulls and that it "could be fate this time round" with Chicago after drawing serious interest from the Bulls in the 1997 draft and again during free agency in 2000.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:13 PM)
Would that have really made the Bulls that good in 2002-2003?

He would have made them better than a 12-15 win team.

What sucked hard is that none of the draft picks we had those years really paid off.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 07:58 PM)
TMAC comeback player of the year with the bulls? only one can hope!

If that's the case, the Bulls would have a very good shot at the Eastern Conference finals.

BTW, nothing is for certain with this deal.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...on-mcgrady.html

Edited by chw42