NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
If T-Mac got Comeback Player of the Year, the Bulls would have an amazing season.

If they got a 75-80% T-Mac, the Bulls are one of the rare teams that could challenge the Heat/Lakers. It wouldn't be long if/when he supplants Brewer for the starting role if he is even around that percentage for the former superstar. (especially as a legit threat from the perimeter even if he hasn't been that good at all through-out his career, but just the "threat" he possesses greatly helps Derrick) Now, as of last week and throughout most of the process, I wanted nothing to do with him. (much rather sign Roger Mason and call it an off-season) But seeing some reports of the Clippers brass (though that isn't saying much) like him, Stan Van Gundy's comments of slurping him when he worked out for them, him being one year and six months removed from surgery, being my favorite player in the late 90s early 2000s (still have his Toronto and Magic jerseys when I was younger) a few youtube highlights of him playing last year trying to tell me hes "still got it" and the only game I caught of him playing was his first game where he played very well versus the Thunder is affecting my better judgment. (especially if/when he is basically useless in an up-tempo style transition and forces Derrick to slow down and use more half-court sets when they are running)

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 11:16 PM)
If they got a 75-80% T-Mac, the Bulls are one of the rare teams that could challenge the Heat/Lakers. It wouldn't be long if/when he supplants Brewer for the starting role if he is even around that percentage for the former superstar. (especially as a legit threat from the perimeter even if he hasn't been that good at all through-out his career, but just the "threat" he possesses greatly helps Derrick) Now, as of last week and throughout most of the process, I wanted nothing to do with him. (much rather sign Roger Mason and call it an off-season) But seeing some reports of the Clippers brass (though that isn't saying much) like him, Stan Van Gundy's comments of slurping him when he worked out for them, him being one year and six months removed from surgery, being my favorite player in the late 90s early 2000s (still have his Toronto and Magic jerseys when I was younger) a few youtube highlights of him playing last year trying to tell me hes "still got it" and the only game I caught of him playing was his first game where he played very well versus the Thunder is affecting my better judgment. (especially if/when he is basically useless in an up-tempo style transition and forces Derrick to slow down and use more half-court sets when they are running)

Same here. The low risk high reward factor is very enticing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
He has plenty of leverage if he simply tells a team that he won't sign with them if they trade for him. You're right, he'll get a max contract somewhere...but there's no reason to trade for him if he's said he won't sign with you.

You do realize, his top destination, Orlando, is way over the cap, into luxury tax. He won't be able to sign there either. This is the NBA, when he becomes a FA, his options, if he wants to get paid, will be extremely limited.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
If T-Mac got Comeback Player of the Year, the Bulls would have an amazing season.

If the Bulls signed TMac and he won that award, it would probably mean DRose got hurt. They are a huge mismatch playing together. TMac is a half court player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 07:52 AM)
You do realize, his top destination, Orlando, is way over the cap, into luxury tax. He won't be able to sign there either. This is the NBA, when he becomes a FA, his options, if he wants to get paid, will be extremely limited.

Vince Carter's somewhat close to expiring contract though can turn into a piece like that, depending on how the lockout winds up working out.

All that matters is that he has to tell the team that wants to trade for them that he won't sign with them. That's really the only thing worth considering.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 07:55 AM)
If the Bulls signed TMac and he won that award, it would probably mean DRose got hurt. They are a huge mismatch playing together. TMac is a half court player.

Rose is going to have to be able to control the ball in the half court game this year too, and he ought to be able to be. You put him out in front in the half court game and whoever is defending him, Rose can beat off the dribble...

and this year, if a big man tries to double team down on DR1, he can drop it off to Boozer for easy points, or if they try to double him from the guard position, that opens up the outside where we now have people who can actually score alongside him.

Long McGrady article filled with lots of post-workout quotes. They haven't talked contract yet, supposedly.

I'm a bit uncomfortable by McGrady saying he doesn't think he'd need to come off the bench...but, if he's legitimately feeling good, some of that could be deserved cockiness. If he thinks he can start, play 30 minutes a game in Thibs's defense (which he knows well from those rock solid Houston defenses) and score 20-25 points...then he won't want to come off the bench and do that....but even he seems to also suggest that he has to prove it first.

I still don't think i see a downside to signing him, even for everything remaining of the Bulls's under the cap dollars, if that's what it takes. Worst case scenario he's cuttable or an expiring deal, and even if there's only a 1% shot at him returning close to his form of 2-3 years ago or even if he can only give you that for 40 games...that's the kind of gamble you need to win to beat a team like the Heat.

Per Sam Smith:

The Bulls still need one more good looking perimeter scoring threat, preferably someone who can make a three-pointer when it matters against the likes of contenders like Miami, Orlando and Boston.

The Bulls believe come playoff time they can be in that conversation.

Can McGrady help them?

Well, that Tracy McGrady of 2000 could, but this Tracy McGrady? The one who has had serious knee surgery to the point he couldn’t play consecutive games with the Knicks last season and they didn’t want him back, who was run out of Houston, essentially by his teammates for his disruptive attitude, and, of course, his own history of quitting on various teams and coaches, including Doc Rivers and his Orlando Magic, where in Orlando they still refer to McGrady in the media as “Me-Mac?”

But can a person change, especially if he’s near career death? McGrady’s basketball career is at that point, and maybe he has had the epiphany and will devote himself one time to the greater good rather than his personal agenda.

He has seen the light! He’s on a mission! At least that’s what McGrady’s benefactors insist.

The Bulls merely are interested onlookers for now, likely doing a favor for McGrady’s agent, who also represents Derrick Rose. My sense is McGrady has a lot of persuading to do as the internal consensus at this point seems opposed to taking the chance on McGrady.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
He said "we" a lot.

I almost just want to sign T-Mac because of his excitement. He really seems like he knows he'd have to earn that starting spot by playing well enough to get it.

And because he's T-Mac. There's always some kind of glowing excitement over plays who used to be really good.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
Per Sam Smith:

Hypothetically, if he comes into the season and plays the role of baby out of the gates...there's really nothing to stop the Bulls from unceremoniously dumping him even if they sign him to a guaranteed contract.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
"Without me, without Boozer, they're a .500 ball club. And with the guys that they added, if they add me, I think we'll be 30 better"

Bulls to win 71 games.

He said 30 points better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
Long McGrady article filled with lots of post-workout quotes. They haven't talked contract yet, supposedly.

I'm a bit uncomfortable by McGrady saying he doesn't think he'd need to come off the bench...but, if he's legitimately feeling good, some of that could be deserved cockiness. If he thinks he can start, play 30 minutes a game in Thibs's defense (which he knows well from those rock solid Houston defenses) and score 20-25 points...then he won't want to come off the bench and do that....but even he seems to also suggest that he has to prove it first.

I still don't think i see a downside to signing him, even for everything remaining of the Bulls's under the cap dollars, if that's what it takes. Worst case scenario he's cuttable or an expiring deal, and even if there's only a 1% shot at him returning close to his form of 2-3 years ago or even if he can only give you that for 40 games...that's the kind of gamble you need to win to beat a team like the Heat.

If he has enough in him to where he could score 20 points a game, he will have a starting position pretty quickly. If he can't, he won't get that much PT.

Cavs traded Delonte West to the T-Wolves and the T-Wolves are gonna release him. If he wasn't such a mental and physical headcase and a thug, I would love to have him on our team as a PG/SG. Career 37% three point shooter and a good free throw shooter who plays very good defense even though he's a bit undersized. Having said that little tidbit, I want him as far away from Chicago as possible. Cleveland was close enough for that dude.

Also reports indicate Bulls are not sold on T-Mac. I'll let others pull up reports here but after reading them, just sign Mason Jr. (or best case, figure out a way to get Rudy Fernandez, though the Blazers are asking for the moon for him oddly enough) and call it an off-season.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:17 AM)
Cavs traded Delonte West to the T-Wolves and the T-Wolves are gonna release him. If he wasn't such a mental and physical headcase and a thug, I would love to have him on our team as a PG/SG. Career 37% three point shooter and a good free throw shooter who plays very good defense even though he's a bit undersized. Having said that little tidbit, I want him as far away from Chicago as possible. Cleveland was close enough for that dude.

Also reports indicate Bulls are not sold on T-Mac. I'll let others pull up reports here but after reading them, just sign Mason Jr. (or best case, figure out a way to get Rudy Fernandez, though the Blazers are asking for the moon for him oddly enough) and call it an off-season.

I mean it's weird here. McGrady is saying the right thing, that he is here to work hard and prove to everyone that he can play a significant role on a good basketball team. That's what NBA players are supposed to want and they are supposed to have that competitive drive. That being said, that's not the Bulls plan for him. I personally think at this point in his career, 15-20 minutes per game of being an instant offensive threat is better for his health than trying to be a 35-minute per game starter who is counted on for defense too.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:17 AM)

I hear the Heat are looking for roster fillers.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 06:57 AM)
I mean it's weird here. McGrady is saying the right thing, that he is here to work hard and prove to everyone that he can play a significant role on a good basketball team. That's what NBA players are supposed to want and they are supposed to have that competitive drive. That being said, that's not the Bulls plan for him. I personally think at this point in his career, 15-20 minutes per game of being an instant offensive threat is better for his health than trying to be a 35-minute per game starter who is counted on for defense too.

Half of that to me sounds like him saying the right thing, but I can't tell if the other half is him being confident in his rehab to the point of cockiness, which I wouldn't mind at all...or if it's him showing the classic NBA "I've earned these minutes!" streak that we've seen from so many guys.

I'd still sign him, but I can't tell which is which. Thankfully, the Bulls happen to have a guy who coached him for 3 years on their staff...Thibodeau.