NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
Another sniper for the Heat? Miller, Jones and now House. Wow. That team is going to be unguardable.

LeBron might actually have a triple-double season. Incredible to think about.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
LeBron might actually have a triple-double season. Incredible to think about.

Pat Riley is my GM of the century. They went from 1st round fodder to a team that can legitimately rival, or maybe even exceed, what the Bulls did in the 90's.

Edited by Jordan4life

Per Espn Insider:

Derrick Rose is known as an athletic point guard who can get to the rim at will at times, and he developed a pull-up jumper last season. But his outside shooting and defense still could use improvement.

We've noted that Rose has been working on his 3-point shot this offseason, something in which he's sounding confident.

And according to the Chicago Sun-Times, Rose is also making defense a priority during Team USA workouts, something U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski stressed last week in training camp in Las Vegas.

New Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau, no stranger to defensive coaching and strategy, is also stressing defense to Rose this summer.

"I'm transferring that over to next season with the Bulls," Rose told the Sun-Times. "Just playing hard, just playing tough defense and trying to get the team to do what I want them to do."

Rose has the tools to become a lockdown defender: He's got a large wingspan for a point guard (6-8), and isn't want for athleticism. He's also a hard worker.

But at 21 years of age, he still has some work to do. If he puts in the effort and learns under Thibodeau, it stands to reason he should show some improvement on the defensive end of the floor this season.

good news keep coming for d rose fans.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
Per Espn Insider:

good news keep coming for d rose fans.

Rose is one of those rare guys who could potentially be the best all around player in the NBA. He's got insane strength for a PG. He's one of the fastest players in the league. He's got a huge wingspan. He's so ridiculously athletic. And he has an incredible work ethic.

Improving his defense is a lot more about effort than it is technique. And in a Thidodeau system, there is no reason for him to not be an elite defender with his length, strength, and quickness. He's improved his mid range jumper leaps and bounds and is now working on a 3 pt shot. We know he can distribute the ball, and now he's got more toys to play with. It's scary how good he could be.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:44 AM)
Rose is one of those rare guys who could potentially be the best all around player in the NBA. He's got insane strength for a PG. He's one of the fastest players in the league. He's got a huge wingspan. He's so ridiculously athletic. And he has an incredible work ethic.

Improving his defense is a lot more about effort than it is technique. And in a Thidodeau system, there is no reason for him to not be an elite defender with his length, strength, and quickness. He's improved his mid range jumper leaps and bounds and is now working on a 3 pt shot. We know he can distribute the ball, and now he's got more toys to play with. It's scary how good he could be.

Stop. LeBron has the title until he's 32 or 33.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:49 AM)
Stop. LeBron has the title until he's 32 or 33.

Right, why even watch the NBA again, right? Lebron is the greatest of all time and the Heat will go undefeated and win 6 straight titles.

f*** Lebron James.

One day I'm going to put together an hour long video explaining why Lebron is the most overrated defensive player in NBA history.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:01 AM)
Right, why even watch the NBA again, right? Lebron is the greatest of all time and the Heat will go undefeated and win 6 straight titles.

f*** Lebron James.

One day I'm going to put together an hour long video explaining why Lebron is the most overrated defensive player in NBA history.

I despise LeCoattail (and this was before the "Decision"). But from a statistical/all-around standpoint, there's nobody close. And I'd pay to see this video. LeBron's defense was pretty mediocre pre-2009. Certainly not the case now. I see LePiggayback averaging something like 26-8-9 on ridiculous efficiency next year. Rose very well could be and should be one of the top players in the game soon. But even if he maxes out, he still probably won't be better than Chris Paul, let alone LeSidekick.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:20 AM)
But even if he maxes out, he still probably won't be better than Chris Paul, let alone LeSidekick.

If Derrick Rose ever maxed out, he would be putting up numbers no PG has ever seen. Unfortunately, he will never fully max out because IMO, his overall development the past couple of years was limited by VDN and didn't have that much good talent or fits surrounding him. (got by more on talent, not overall efficiency and this is me talking as far as how much upside I believe this kid truly has) Having said this, he is still young enough to be an incredible player. Better than pre injury Chris Paul? I don't see it either, but I think he can be better than Deron Williams for sure.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:50 AM)
If Derrick Rose ever maxed out, he would be putting up numbers no PG has ever seen. Unfortunately, he will never fully max out because IMO, his overall development the past couple of years was limited by VDN and didn't have that much good talent or fits surrounding him. (got by more on talent, not overall efficiency and this is me talking as far as how much upside I believe this kid truly has) Having said this, he is still young enough to be an incredible player. Better than pre injury Chris Paul? I don't see it either, but I think he can be better than Deron Williams for sure.

Whoa, I can't agree with you there. I don't think he's Magic good regardless. But definitely top 10, maybe top 5, caliber if he does max out. But I'm sorry. And I'm getting a lot of crap from Bulls fans at work and on realgm. But I'm not going to pretend we can run with the Heat. Not in 2011, 2012, 2013 or any other year in the not so distant future. Unless something unexpected (a major injury) occurs, the Heat have the east on lockdown for a while.

Edit: And I just realized I morphed into something that had nothing to do with what you posted. Oh well. That's what brandy does to the brain. Makes you kinda weird.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:58 AM)
Whoa, I can't agree with you there. I don't think he's Magic good regardless. But definitely top 10, maybe top 5, caliber if he does max out. But I'm sorry. And I'm getting a lot of crap from Bulls fans at work and on realgm. But I'm not going to pretend we can run with the Heat. Not in 2011, 2012, 2013 or any other year in the not so distant future. Unless something unexpected (a major injury) occurs, the Heat have the east on lockdown for a while.

Its unfair to really compare anyone with Magic. Dude was friggin 6'9 for god sakes. Plus, he was a Guard-Forward. Now Jason Kidd on the other hand is a different story, who Derrick was often compared to comming out. (also D-Wade) Didn't even mention the Heat. I actually agree with you. Still think the Lakers can beat them though... at least this year.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:05 AM)
Its unfair to really compare anyone with Magic. Dude was friggin 6'9 for god sakes. Plus, he was a Guard-Forward. Now Jason Kidd on the other hand is a different story, who Derrick was often compared to comming out. (also D-Wade) Didn't even mention the Heat. I actually agree with you. Still think the Lakers can beat them though... at least this year.

You're the one that said "numbers that no PG has ever seen." lol. And Magic's primary position was PG. And I know you didn't mention the Heat. Check the edit in my last post.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:20 AM)
I despise LeCoattail (and this was before the "Decision"). But from a statistical/all-around standpoint, there's nobody close. And I'd pay to see this video. LeBron's defense was pretty mediocre pre-2009. Certainly not the case now. I see LePiggayback averaging something like 26-8-9 on ridiculous efficiency next year. Rose very well could be and should be one of the top players in the game soon. But even if he maxes out, he still probably won't be better than Chris Paul, let alone LeSidekick.

lets hold off that judgment for now. Chris Paul wasn't a superstar or even an allstar after 2 years in the league. He basically averaged 17 and 9 while shooting 43% from the field. Rose on the other hand was an allstar after 2 years, led his team to the playoffs each year, average 20 and 6 while shooting 49%. He is already consider one of the best if not the best midrange shooter, scorer, and slasher at his position, and overall, one of the tops in the league in those regards. Once he start hitting the 3 consistently, learn to play shut down defense, and he actually gets a real team around him, there is no reason he can't be better than CP3.

Paul took off and became a superstar in his third season, and there is no reason we can't expect the same from rose. If you say Rose might never be as efficient as Paul is in terms of TS% and holding a high AST/TO ratio, that I won't argue with you. But Rose will have the ability to do things on the court Paul will not be able to do.

Think about it, Rose has better size than CP3, and is the best athlete at his position (athletes usually take longer to develop, just like in baseball), and he incredible work ethic, and a winning attitude. There is no reason, if he reaches even 90% of his potential, that he won't be better than CP3

p.s. I really think 2 years from now, when Rose learn the ins and outs of tough D, he will pulverize CP3 when they go head to head, just like how Deron chews up Paul in head to heads.

:lolhitting

With the arrival of Lebron James, the Miami Heat rapidly sold out all their season tickets. That turned out to be bad news for the ticket-sales staff, which was fired Friday.

In a statement, the Heat confirmed the dismissals Friday afternoon, saying that with an ``exhausted'' inventory of season-tickets ``we no longer require a season ticket sales team to sell tickets.''

Stephen Weber, vice president of sales, delivered the news to about 30 ticket sales people Friday morning, according to one of the staffers who asked not to be named because he is seeking another job in sports.

Even when James was merely rumored to be heading for the Heat, the team saw an explosion in season ticket sales. The staffer said he and his colleagues were making cold calls to prospective customers and taking deposits for a waiting list that now has more than 6,000 names on it. The dismissals reflect the new Heat position in basketball: it can sell tickets without really trying.

``They let us go because there was really nothing left to do anymore,'' the fired staffer said.

Link