NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
Because they havent played it yet, and I plan on hitting all three of them with a Volkswagen.

If you took out a collection, you could probably get NBA fans to pay for the car.

And a big chunk of your legal fees.

And for it to be a Hummer rather than a VW.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)
He's also so good he can lead the NBA in PER for three straight seasons.

The sad thing is, the last two years #2 on said list was D-Wade. Bosh was only #4 last year, though. Damn that Kevin Durant!

Keep trying to convince me the next NBA Championship has yet to be decided.

Did the Patriots win it when they went 16-0? What if they are decimated with injuries? Everyone that says that they have it in the bag is nuts, the NBA has a lot of talent and EVERY team will be gunning for them EVERY night. Every stadium will be maxxed out looking for their team to knock them off

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
If you took out a collection, you could probably get NBA fans to pay for the car.

And for it to be a M1 Abrams rather than a VW.

No need to set limitations, I think it can be done.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
With a starting line-up like that I'm not even ready to concede the east to the Heat.

Yeah, the Celtics have the 2003-2004 season wrapped up. I mean, why would the Heat want to load up their roster with rookies like that!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 02:59 AM)
Yeah, the Celtics have the 2003-2004 season wrapped up. I mean, why would the Heat want to load up their roster with rookies like that!

The Celtics are the reigning Eastern conference champions, if you did not notice.

But read my post again anyways. Never even said the Cs were the favorites. Just I think it's stupid to simply concede anything to anyone at this point. I think most will agree.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)

And for it to be a Hummer rather than a VW.

I'm in as long as there is a promise to back up, and go over again, repeated.

Wow.

Four NBA teams have agreed to to a five-player trade that will send Trevor Ariza to the New Orleans Hornets and Darren Collison to the Indiana Pacers, two league sources said.

In the trade, the Houston Rockets sent Ariza to the Hornets, who in turn will send Collison and James Posey to the Pacers.

The Pacers sent Troy Murphy to the New Jersey Nets. And the Nets sent Courtney Lee to the Rockets.

According to the sources, the Rockets, Hornets, Pacers and Nets have agreed to the details of the trade and made it official with the league on Wednesday.

The Hornets didn't stop there. NBA front office sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that in a separate deal, the team agreed to send swingman Julian Wright to Toronto for Raptors guard Marco Belinelli. That deal, like the four-team trade, was also expected to be completed Wednesday.

The four-team deal could fill some long-term needs for the Hornets, Pacers and Nets, as well as provide needed salary relief for the Rockets.

For the Hornets, while moving Collison leaves the team without a credible backup for Chris Paul, the addition of Ariza gives them a young, athletic wing entering his prime.

The Hornets are hoping that the addition of Ariza addresses Paul's concerns about the team's commitment to winning by showing that they're willing to spend money to get better. Ariza signed a five year, $34 million deal with the Rockets last summer.

For the Pacers, landing Collison gives them the young starting point guard they've been looking for and adds another piece to a young core of players including Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert and promising rookies Paul George and Lance Stephenson.

The Pacers did take on the last two years and $13 million of Posey's contract, but the deal also sliced another $4 million off the team's overall payroll.

In Murphy, the Nets get the veteran big man that new coach Avery Johnson has been coveting. Murphy is also on the last year of his contract, which could make him an important trading chip for the Nets at the 2011 trade deadline.

For the Rockets, the move is basically a large salary dump. This summer the Rockets spent a lot of cash signing Luis Scola, Kyle Lowry and Brad Miller to free agent contracts and their payroll ballooned. Before the trade, the team was bracing for a $8 million plus luxury tax hit. This deal saves them $28 million on the life of the contract and roughly $10 million (when you factor in luxury tax payments) this season.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
Hmm, Ariza would have looked nice on the Bulls. I'd rather have him over Brewer/Korver and he makes a similar amount of money.

With the Bulls's needs and the season that Ariza had last year, I think I'm happy with Brewer and Korver.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
With the Bulls's needs and the season that Ariza had last year, I think I'm happy with Brewer and Korver.

They could have signed Korver and gotten Ariza, no?

I thought they had around $14 million to spend after Boozer signed.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
Hmm, Ariza would have looked nice on the Bulls. I'd rather have him over Brewer/Korver and he makes a similar amount of money.

Courtney Lee would of been the much better fit. I'm personally high on him, though he is a system guy.

Indiana has a nice little team/future now with a legitimate young, solid PG. In fact.. I would label this as an amazing trade for them.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
PG- Rajon Rondo

SG- Ray Allen

SF- Paul Pierce

PF- Kevin Garnett

C- Jermaine O'Neal/Shaq

With a starting line-up like that I'm not even ready to concede the east to the Heat.

If it was 2005, I'd agree with you.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)
Great trade for the Hornets.

Really?

I thought the opposite actually. A guy as valuable as Collison (considering his age and contract) and the best they could get for him was a league average SF who's not a very good shooter.

That trade makes Indiana relevant again, and the Nets did well to get Murphy for Lee.

I'd love for Otis to find a way to dump VC and get Lee back in Orlando.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 06:55 AM)
I thought the opposite actually. A guy as valuable as Collison (considering his age and contract) and the best they could get for him was a league average SF who's not a very good shooter.

They certainly gave up value, but they turned that value in to perhaps the best wing playing SF that CP3 has had to play alongside since he was drafted.

If you're looking at a 10 year plan to try to win a title it's probably not the best move...if you're expecting this to be the last season you have CP3 before the lockout and Free Agency...then you make that move.

He was hired to break the rules. That is the first thing you need to understand about Isiah Thomas' latest and briefest work for the Knicks, as a consultant. He was hired to break the rules.

NBA front-office employees are not allowed to watch high school players live. Of course, as Florida International's head coach, Thomas has to watch high school players live.

If he works for the Knicks, Thomas is not allowed to have any contact with college players unless they have used up their eligibility or declared for the draft. He is also not allowed to discuss their skills publicly. As FIU's coach, Thomas is supposed to ... um, coach underclassmen and talk about them in the postgame news conference.

It is literally impossible to do both jobs without breaking NBA rules. It's like if PETA hired you as a spokesperson and said you could keep your other job kicking puppies. The NBA had no choice but to void this arrangement -- and, presumably, the Knicks finally figured that out. Thomas issued a statement Wednesday saying he's giving up his new role with his old franchise.

And this leads to the question:

How stupid are the Knicks?

I try not to use the word "stupid" very often. It's cruel, for one thing, and usually unfair. For example: this week, the Mariners fired Don Wakamatsu, the first Japanese-American manager in baseball history, on Japanese Heritage Night at their ballpark. That seems stupid (and also utterly hilarious) but really, it was probably just bad communication, unfortunate timing, the baseball side not realizing what the business side was doing until it was too late. We all make mistakes.

But hiring Isiah Thomas, Florida International head coach, as a consultant ... THAT is stupid. Knicks owner Jim Dolan might as well put up a big billboard across from that infamous Jay-Z/Mikhail Prokhorov New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets billboard that says:

THE KNICKS!

We Have No Idea What We're Doing

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
They certainly gave up value, but they turned that value in to perhaps the best wing playing SF that CP3 has had to play alongside since he was drafted.

If you're looking at a 10 year plan to try to win a title it's probably not the best move...if you're expecting this to be the last season you have CP3 before the lockout and Free Agency...then you make that move.

Actually, I think that's exactly why you don't make this move. You just traded a valuable piece and a legitimately solid replacement for CP3 (who will be gone soon no matter how hard they try to stop it) for a swingman who really can't shoot the ball all that well. I think this was a completely stupid move by New Orleans, and don't quite understand why they did it. They aren't any sort of legitimate challenger in the West now because of this. Absolutely awesome trade for the Pacers though. Troy Murphy is a solid player, but to get what they got makes that deal more than worth it and a win for them.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)

That doesn't really say much for the SF's CP3 has had to play with over the years though.

Ariza shot 39% from the field last season, and yeah he's a good defender, but he's nothing more than a league average SF IMO.

There's similar players in the league e.g Matt Barnes who can pretty much give you what Ariza gives you I reckon.