NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)
I don't know why anybody is worried about the Screamin A comments, just like I don't know why anybody got so pumped at the ones saying he's coming to Chicago. The only thing every "report" we see about this stuff has in common is they're all full of s***. Nobody actually has much of a clue what LeBron is going to do, but is willing to throw s*** against the wall and hope it sticks because people are just eating up every bit of news they can find. We won't know what's the deal until people sign with teams, and that's all there is to it. The Bulls have a very good chance at getting a lot better this summer, which is great, but they could strikeout too. Nobody really knows, regardless of how much they pretend to.

I think he has two motivations:

• He gets ton of press coverage and interviews and the ability to plug is radio show
  • Nno one else is reporting this, so on the off chance it HAPPENS to come to be then he can brag up and down he was the first to report it while everyone elese was reporting it would be the Bulls.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
Source?

It was on ESPN somewhere. That is there tentative plan. Don't have the link, but I read it somewhere.

Supposed to be shortly after midnight. Not sure if we will be the first team or not.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
oh and as pointed out by ESPN Radio, Miami doesnt have enough cap space for 3 max deals. So, someone would have to take a discount.

I don't see anyone having responded to this yet, so I'll take a stab at it. If Wade is the 3rd one to sign, it doesn't matter, because the Heat hold Wade's Bird rights, and as such, I think they have the ability to go over the cap to resign him. If they signed Bosh and Lebron first and then Wade last, they could still offer max deals to all 3. Wade would actually wind up with the largest contract of the 3.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
I don't see anyone having responded to this yet, so I'll take a stab at it. If Wade is the 3rd one to sign, it doesn't matter, because the Heat hold Wade's Bird rights, and as such, I think they have the ability to go over the cap to resign him. If they signed Bosh and Lebron first and then Wade last, they could still offer max deals to all 3. Wade would actually wind up with the largest contract of the 3.

the problem, i think, is then there wouldnt be enough room to fill the rest of the roster. I am not a cap statistician guy, so I dont know the numbers on this. But I THOUGHT i read that those 3 would take up so much money it would negate having other players sign with the team.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
It was on ESPN somewhere. That is there tentative plan. Don't have the link, but I read it somewhere.

Supposed to be shortly after midnight. Not sure if we will be the first team or not.

I read that as well. The Bulls will also be the last team to meet with James and that is what they wanted.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
I read that as well. The Bulls will also be the last team to meet with James and that is what they wanted.

I know that was the situation when Lebron was going to actually travel to the cities, is that still the plan that everyone is going to Akron, also it sounds like Lebron won't talk to people until the Akron meetings, so it makes sense to use the time between that to recruit another top guy.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
the problem, i think, is then there wouldnt be enough room to fill the rest of the roster. I am not a cap statistician guy, so I dont know the numbers on this. But I THOUGHT i read that those 3 would take up so much money it would negate having other players sign with the team.

How does the luxury tax work? Do the Bird Rights guys fall under that? Because technically they could sign him for what they want but it's not like he is going to take a discount deal to stay, so they may be able to do it with the cap but be so crazily over the luxury tax that it is too big of a hit.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)
I know that was the situation when Lebron was going to actually travel to the cities, is that still the plan that everyone is going to Akron, also it sounds like Lebron won't talk to people until the Akron meetings, so it makes sense to use the time between that to recruit another top guy.

How does the luxury tax work? Do the Bird Rights guys fall under that? Because technically they could sign him for what they want but it's not like he is going to take a discount deal to stay, so they may be able to do it with the cap but be so crazily over the luxury tax that it is too big of a hit.

No that's the deal right now, the bulls are the last team to meet with him and that what they wanted. I can't find where I read it because it was randomly in one of the million articles on espn.com.

After reading some of the realGM forums I think its really funny how quickly Bulls fans dismiss articles like last nights that said lebron and bosh to chicago is a done deal, and how quickly they accept as fact the words of steven a smith.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
No that's the deal right now, the bulls are the last team to meet with him and that what they wanted. I can't find where I read it because it was randomly in one of the million articles on espn.com.

cool, I believe you, I just hadn't heard what the order was since he decided not to travel.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)

Yes, those 3 would take up so much money that the Heat woudln't have room to sign other FA's, but they'd still have options; I believe they could use some combination of draftees, D-league players, etc., to fill out the roster...but they'd have the key option of using the bird rights of all the players they have who just hit FA and either re-signing them or using them in sign-and-trade deals to acquire pieces.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
All of this makes me too nervous. I just wish I could know now how it will all shake out.

Of course I have a test today, and my final for a class on wednesday and following all this is making it way to hard to study.

well, might as well throw everything up here, Jason Goff from the Score, new on the NBA beat, but works really hard at covering the Bulls, is saying is sources point to Lebron with the Bulls...

again, I know nothing is concrete, just reporting what I'm reading

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
Jason Goff is kinda trustworthy I guess...

It depends on who his sources are...

Boers sources may be old, but he rarely ever quotes them and they are trustworthy and have been around the NBA a long time, so if Boers ever cites his sources it would be really strong in my book...

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
Boers sources may be old, but he rarely ever quotes them and they are trustworthy and have been around the NBA a long time, so if Boers ever cites his sources it would be really strong in my book...

And Jason works with B&B...so maybe this has some credibility.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
well, might as well throw everything up here, Jason Goff from the Score, new on the NBA beat, but works really hard at covering the Bulls, is saying is sources point to Lebron with the Bulls...

again, I know nothing is concrete, just reporting what I'm reading

Bernstein says his guys have Lebron to the Bulls and the number he put

on it was75%. His take was that Stephen A Smith had it wrong. He says it's stadomire (sp) is the guy going to Miami.

Take this for what it's worth, but I am interning for a sports marketing agency whose main client is Nike. We have been holding Nike Skills Academy appearances at Niketown Friday, today and tomorrow. Thus, we work with Nike's basketball marketing guys. They say the people they know (LeBron is a Nike guy) say LeBron to the Bulls. Not the best sources here, but still...

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)
Take this for what it's worth, but I am interning for a sports marketing agency whose main client is Nike. We have been holding Nike Skills Academy appearances at Niketown Friday, today and tomorrow. Thus, we work with Nike's basketball marketing guys. They say the people they know (LeBron is a Nike guy) say LeBron to the Bulls. Not the best sources here, but still...

Probably an indication of what Nike wants. Which is a good thing to hear.