NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
Steve done made a mess of another thread. someone get a mop

rumors i have read today

Bulls interested in Battier, Butler, TJ Ford

Also rumor that Bulls are trying to get Granger for Asik and pieces

Depth is going to be soooo huge this year. the shortened schedule means you have to be deep.,

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baske...0,1108002.story

Reinsdorf: Luxury tax won't preclude Bulls' bid for key addition

By K.C. Johnson, Tribune reporter

4:40 p.m. CST, November 30, 2011

Chicago Bulls Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf on Wednesday reiterated through a team spokesman that he would give strong consideration to incurring the luxury tax if the player acquisition gave the team a reasonable chance to win a championship.

That answer is similar in sentiment to Reinsdorf's response on the subject from a 2009 interview. However, with a more punitive luxury tax poised to take effect in 2013-14 of the pending 10-year collective bargaining agreement, as well as increased revenue sharing, the question applied anew.

Furthermore, the Bulls are poised to offer Derrick Rose a maximum salary extension. Rose's five-year, roughly $100 million deal raises possible luxury-tax concerns for the 2012-13 season, the first season in which his extension takes effect.

Wednesday marked the first day that team executives and coaches could comment on team affairs since the lockout began on July 1.

It also signaled the unofficial start to free agency, with teams allowed to contact player agents. The Bulls began casting a wide net, contacting representatives for several players, including Caron Butler, Grant Hill, Kurt Thomas among others.

No deals can be reached until Dec. 9. The Bulls, one of the league's most profitable franchises, have avoided paying the luxury tax in the past.

[email protected]

Twitter @kcjhoop

rumors i have read today

Haha yeah right. Granger would be really awesome for this team, but it would take Asik + Gibson + some high future draft picks for the Pacers to even pick up the phone. The Bulls really don't have the pieces to get a guy like Granger IMO (Deng, Noah, Boozer, and Rose aren't going anywhere).

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)

I mean honestly...this team is so close. Why not spend some money and put it over the top? Unlike last year's Sox team, this Bulls team has Derrick Rose. So there's like no way it crashes into the ground completely like Adam Dunn. :lolhitting

rumors i have read today

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
That would be amazingly awesome, but sounds ridiculously unlikely.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
agreed. One would have to think that would be a predecessor to Deng being moved if it happened

Not necessarily.

In Thibs' defensive system, SG and SF are interchangeable, so Granger could theoretically play the 2.

But, if we were to obtain Granger, I'd see it as this package:

Asik, Brewer, Bobcats pick/First and multiple 2nds, and Bogans (to make it in the cap).

Now, the rumor is the Pacers want Rondo for Collison and Hibbert, so they might clear it out to make space for Rondo to be the star in a defensive lineup of Rondo-Brewer-George-Hansborough-Asik.

The Celtics would flip Collison/Hibbert/Picks for Paul and try to sign Dwight with their remaining cap space.

Then the Bulls have this starting five, Rose-Granger-Deng-Boozer-Noah. That's a good starting five, but Granger/Deng is a bit redundant.

Now, one team has been interested in Deng in the past...the 76ers.

A Deng for Iguodala swap could interest and benefit both teams, leaving us with...

PG - Rose/Watson

SG - Iguodala/Korver

SF - Granger/Butler

PF - Boozer/Gibson

C - Noah/FA (Thomas?)

rumors i have read today

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
That would be amazingly awesome, but sounds ridiculously unlikely.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
agreed. One would have to think that would be a predecessor to Deng being moved if it happened

Not necessarily.

In Thibs' defensive system, SG and SF are interchangeable, so Granger could theoretically play the 2.

Asik, Brewer, Bobcats pick/First and multiple 2nds, and Bogans (to make it in the cap).

Now, the rumor is the Pacers want Rondo for Collison and Hibbert, so they might clear it out to make space for Rondo to be the star in a defensive lineup of Rondo-Brewer-George-Hansborough-Asik.

The Celtics would flip Collison/Hibbert/Picks for Paul and try to sign Dwight with their remaining cap space.

Then the Bulls have this starting five, Rose-Granger-Deng-Boozer-Noah. That's a good starting five, but Granger/Deng is a bit redundant.

A Deng for Iguodala swap could interest and benefit both teams, leaving us with...

PG - Rose/Watson

SG - Iguodala/Korver

SF - Granger/Butler

PF - Boozer/Gibson

C - Noah/FA (Thomas?)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
Not necessarily.

PG - Rose/Watson

SG - Iguodala/Korver

SF - Granger/Butler

PF - Boozer/Gibson

C - Noah/FA (Thomas?)

The Bulls aren't trading Deng. Thibs would freak out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
Depth is going to be soooo huge this year. the shortened schedule means you have to be deep.,

I would say that's more true for other teams, not really the Bulls. The Central Division is god awful. The Bulls will walk to the playoffs regardless of who's on the bench.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
I would say that's more true for other teams, not really the Bulls. The Central Division is god awful. The Bulls will walk to the playoffs regardless of who's on the bench.

He could live with Iguodala.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
Not necessarily.

PG - Rose/Watson

SG - Iguodala/Korver

SF - Granger/Butler

PF - Boozer/Gibson

C - Noah/FA (Thomas?)

There are so many conditional things in there the odds of it happening are quite slim.

-Why would Philly trade a better wing player that isn't significantly more expensive for Deng, especially when they also have Thaddeus Young and Evan Turner at the SF position?

-The logistics of a Rondo/Paul/Pacers 3-team trade are crazy, and if Paul really won't re-sign in Boston that talk is done.

-Granger is Indiana's best player and the Pacers haven't shown much interest rebuilding. If they were going to move him, they supposedly could have had Al Jefferson (who's only a year older than Asik and far better) last year.

-That would be an absolutely awful team that you have the Pacers fielding in that scenario, and it's not like they'd be getting an amazing pick haul out of it. The Bobcat's pick is so heavily protected that it's going to either be a late lottery pick or they won't get it until 2016. I have to imagine they'd be able to get more than a heavily protected/late first, two mediocre veterans, a raw backup big man and a few seconds for a player of Granger's caliber.

Why not throw in the Bulls trading Noah straight up for Dwight while you're at it?

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Just saw this blurb on ESPN:

ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher tweeted Tuesday night: "From what I've heard: Celtics might want to deal Rondo for Paul, but Hornets are not doing that deal. Have better offers if it comes to that. ... Also have been told Rondo has been assured Boston has not explored dealing him. Might not be true, but that's what he allegedly has been told."

If the Hornets really have better offers than a solid (albiet flawed) 25 year old PG, I would think Paul doesn't finish the season in New Orleans.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)
There are so many conditional things in there the odds of it happening are quite slim.

-Why would Philly trade a better wing player that isn't significantly more expensive for Deng, especially when they also have Thaddeus Young and Evan Turner at the SF position?

-The logistics of a Rondo/Paul/Pacers 3-team trade are crazy, and if Paul really won't re-sign in Boston that talk is done.

-Granger is Indiana's best player and the Pacers haven't shown much interest rebuilding. If they were going to move him, they supposedly could have had Al Jefferson (who's only a year older than Asik and far better) last year.

-That would be an absolutely awful team that you have the Pacers fielding in that scenario, and it's not like they'd be getting an amazing pick haul out of it. The Bobcat's pick is so heavily protected that it's going to either be a late lottery pick or they won't get it until 2016. I have to imagine they'd be able to get more than a heavily protected/late first, two mediocre veterans, a raw backup big man and a few seconds for a player of Granger's caliber.

Why not throw in the Bulls trading Noah straight up for Dwight while you're at it?

1) Because Evan Turner and Iguodala are very similar, they want to free up space for Turner at the 2, and Doug Collins LOVES Deng.

2) That was thrown out there because Boston is looking into that exact deal. Didn't pull that out my ass.

3) Asik, Brewer, Bobcats Pick, and our first and saves money and lets them prepare for when the Heat/Bulls/Celtics/Knicks get older. If you're not one of those four or the Hawks in the East, things are bleak.

4) See above ^

And Noah for Dwight has never been mentioned.

There have been Asik+ Pieces for Granger, Rondo to Pacers for Collison/Hibbert, those pieces + picks for Paul, and the Celtics wanting to pair Dwight/Paul rumors mentioned. So before you add that last bit, the only part I "made up" was Iguodala which is very plausible.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
1) Because Evan Turner and Iguodala are very similar, they want to free up space for Turner at the 2, and Doug Collins LOVES Deng.

2) That was thrown out there because Boston is looking into that exact deal. Didn't pull that out my ass.

3) Asik, Brewer, Bobcats Pick, and our first and saves money and lets them prepare for when the Heat/Bulls/Celtics/Knicks get older. If you're not one of those four or the Hawks in the East, things are bleak.

4) See above ^

And Noah for Dwight has never been mentioned.

There have been Asik+ Pieces for Granger, Rondo to Pacers for Collison/Hibbert, those pieces + picks for Paul, and the Celtics wanting to pair Dwight/Paul rumors mentioned. So before you add that last bit, the only part I "made up" was Iguodala which is very plausible.

1) And Deng is very similar to Young, a player they're not going to get rid of unless he gets an insane offer sheet. They also play Iggy at SF, they start Holiday and Meeks in the backcourt. They don't need another expensive wing player, they need to get bigs and/or save money.

2) I never said you pulled it out of your ass, I said it's highly unlikely. We've already heard that NO wouldn't do it for Rondo and that Paul wouldn't sign in Boston. That rumor lasted really long.

3/4) How does it prepare them for anything? Those pieces are all pretty terrible at the moment. The only way that turns out well is if they tank and hit in the lottery. Rondo/Brewer/George/Hansbrough/Asik would score about 50 points a game and outside of Rondo doesn't feature anyone that looks like a reasonable bet to be an All-Star in the future.

Just because it's "been mentioned" doesn't mean it'll happen. I'm sure the Bulls are offering that and will likely get laughed at. Your scenario proposed not one but TWO deals that favor the Bulls by a fair amount, which is why it's highly unlikely.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 08:52 PM)
1) And Deng is very similar to Young, a player they're not going to get rid of unless he gets an insane offer sheet. They also play Iggy at SF, they start Holiday and Meeks in the backcourt. They don't need another expensive wing player, they need to get bigs and/or save money.

2) I never said you pulled it out of your ass, I said it's highly unlikely. We've already heard that NO wouldn't do it for Rondo and that Paul wouldn't sign in Boston. That rumor lasted really long.

3/4) How does it prepare them for anything? Those pieces are all pretty terrible at the moment. The only way that turns out well is if they tank and hit in the lottery. Rondo/Brewer/George/Hansbrough/Asik would score about 50 points a game and outside of Rondo doesn't feature anyone that looks like a reasonable bet to be an All-Star in the future.

Just because it's "been mentioned" doesn't mean it'll happen. I'm sure the Bulls are offering that and will likely get laughed at. Your scenario proposed not one but TWO deals that favor the Bulls by a fair amount, which is why it's highly unlikely.

Touche. I thought you believed I made it all up.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
The bulls aren't going to make 2 huge trades in the month leading up to the season.

Dismissing trades because there's a month until the season is incredibly silly. It's not like we're under normal circumstances. They've had no chance to do anything yet.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
KC Johnson: Like most, Bulls cast wide net on 1st FA day. Contacted agents for JCrawford, CButler, GHill, Battier, KThomas, JHoward, Ford, Bogans, more.

Crawford, Butler or Jason Richardson would be fine by me.

Crawford is interesting because when he left the Bulls, JR made a comment that basically said Crawford's game was a game that would never be part of a championship team.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
KC Johnson: Like most, Bulls cast wide net on 1st FA day. Contacted agents for JCrawford, CButler, GHill, Battier, KThomas, JHoward, Ford, Bogans, more.

Crawford, Butler or Jason Richardson would be fine by me.

Happy to see they are looking to take the next step