NBA Offseason Thread

Lakers executive Jim Buss says he's no longer opposed to trading Andrew Bynum, but only for what he calls "the right deal." Ken Berger of CBS writes that this is code for Dwight Howard, and most insiders believe that Howard has the Lakers on his short list of teams to play for.

No f***ing s*** you'd trade Bynum for Dwight friggin' Howard. I wish just once the Bulls would surprise me and make the NBA and ADIDAS happy and combine Rose and Howard in Chicago.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 08:23 AM)
Lakers executive Jim Buss says he's no longer opposed to trading Andrew Bynum, but only for what he calls "the right deal." Ken Berger of CBS writes that this is code for Dwight Howard, and most insiders believe that Howard has the Lakers on his short list of teams to play for.

No f***ing s*** you'd trade Bynum for Dwight friggin' Howard. I wish just once the Bulls would surprise me and make the NBA and ADIDAS happy and combine Rose and Howard in Chicago.

Does Howard have any interest in Chicago? Then #2 could Chicago put together some sort of a reasonable deal for him without gutting the team Miami/NYK style?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)
Does Howard have any interest in Chicago? Then #2 could Chicago put together some sort of a reasonable deal for him without gutting the team Miami/NYK style?

I assume a deal with Noah involved and possibly including Deng and Turkoglu could be the base of something. The Magic would be f***ed in the head to deal Dwight and not send Hedo along with him in the deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)

There have been a couple rumors here and there that Dwight wants to play in Chicago, and that he doesnt want to be "Shaq-lite/Shaq pt 2" in LA. But rumors are rumors, and money talks. Hopefully the Bulls can play with the big boys and go get him, because Rose and Dwight for 5+ years with each other makes me all warm and fuzzy inside just thinking about it

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
There have been a couple rumors here and there that Dwight wants to play in Chicago, and that he doesnt want to be "Shaq-lite/Shaq pt 2" in LA. But rumors are rumors, and money talks. Hopefully the Bulls can play with the big boys and go get him, because Rose and Dwight for 5+ years with each other makes me all warm and fuzzy inside just thinking about it

It would be awesome to get him, but he has to want to be here, which means signing an extension as a part of the deal.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
I have to say again, what the hell was the reason for this lockout? Wasn't it to prevent these superstars forcing trades to where they wanted to go?

Money. The superstar thing was among the many side issues. It also appears that they did make it a bit more financially disadvantageous to switch teams between new sign-and-trade and extend-and-trade rules and at least for now the lower max salary when switching teams (all of these guys have salaries higher than $14.5 mil right now, so they can still get raises if they stay).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 04:13 PM)
Money. The superstar thing was among the many side issues. It also appears that they did make it a bit more financially disadvantageous to switch teams between new sign-and-trade and extend-and-trade rules and at least for now the lower max salary when switching teams (all of these guys have salaries higher than $14.5 mil right now, so they can still get raises if they stay).

They should have eliminated sign and trade alltogether if they wanted to keep incentives high for that fifth year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
Come on zoom, the sign and trade wasn't exactly "53% or we don't play" line in the sand.

System issues are a major reason they weren't playing a month ago. They've been at 50/50 for a while, the problem is the owners wanted to force a whole bunch of things that made player movement much more restricted along with it (no sign-and-trades or extend and trades, teams in the luxury tax couldn't use the MLE, ect). If the owners hadn't relented on a bunch of those things, it would be left to the courts and we know how slow that can be.

Also, not every owner wants to make it harder to get superstars. The Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, Mavs, Heat and a handful of others want to keep the means to add guys that their cheaper and more inept brethren can't.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
The score is saying Caron Butler wants to be a Bull. He is a SF, i dont know if he can do as a SG.

Butler would be the one free agent i would like to see in a bulls uniform, i got a chance to watch him in DC alot when i lived in the virginia area. I think if we could sign him and use the clause to get out of korvers contract and possibly sign another FA SG i think we could be alright

QUOTE (TheCut87 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
Butler would be the one free agent i would like to see in a bulls uniform, i got a chance to watch him in DC alot when i lived in the virginia area. I think if we could sign him and use the clause to get out of korvers contract and possibly sign another FA SG i think we could be alright

While Korver is rather limited, I doubt the Bulls would release the one player on their roster that can consistently hit the three. I would hope that the never-ending parade of bricks on wide-open 3's against the Heat still haunts their dreams, they need someone else who can stretch the floor.

Butler would be a nice added scorer, but he doesn't really solve that problem and is more of a forward than a guard.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
The score is saying Caron Butler wants to be a Bull. He is a SF, i dont know if he can do as a SG.

I would agree with that. I'm not really thrilled with a number of the guys that have been mentioned. I don't like using it on TJ Ford at all, and Battier and Butler probably shouldn't be playing SG.

Honestly, I'm not sure who the best fit is of the guys that you might be able to get for the MLE.

Afflalo would be nice, but I doubt the MLE is enough. Jason Richardson works on offense, but he's not terribly quick on defense and might get more than the MLE anyways. If you could somehow get vintage Brandon Roy for the MLE that'd be the answer, but that guy may not exist.

Damn it, I wish the 9th would get here already so we could see some transactions.

I wouldn't mind Grant Hill in a Bulls uni. He is up there in age but still plays good defense and still is aggressive on offense going to the hole. 3 point shooting wouldn't be a string suit though but I would take his 40% from behind the arc from last season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
CP3 says he won't sign an extension with NO, and he wants to play for the Knicks. Wasn't the lockout supposed to help prevent stuff like this from happening?

I got the impression that what they agreed to wont really eliminate the creation of "big 3s". A hard cap might have done that. I dont think the new CBA will really fix the competitive balance issue the NBA is having, and it will only get worse.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

If Butler is healthy I'd be a fan of his. Not a perfect fit at the 2 but it would work and our defense would be insanely strong. However, if we were going to waive one of our guys (using the amnesty clause) it would have to be Brewer as opposed to Korver. Korver's ability to knock down the 3 is huge in our offense (as it provides spacing for Rose to do his thing). Its also why Granger (although the Bulls will never get him) would be a great fit for the Bulls (he can knock em down from all over the place).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
CP3 says he won't sign an extension with NO, and he wants to play for the Knicks. Wasn't the lockout supposed to help prevent stuff like this from happening?

They might have said that, but the Miami Heat made them too much money to do anything serious about it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
I got the impression that what they agreed to wont really eliminate the creation of "big 3s". A hard cap might have done that. I dont think the new CBA will really fix the competitive balance issue the NBA is having, and it will only get worse.

You can't really have true competitive balance in the NBA. Either you have a superstar player that can carry you deep into the playoffs or you don't.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
You can't really have true competitive balance in the NBA. Either you have a superstar player that can carry you deep into the playoffs or you don't.

The last 10 years has there been a single team with only 1 superstar, or at least...star? Basically we only have the pistons with Billups, but Wallace was far and away the best d center at the time.