NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
I dont want to even think about Howard to the Bulls, I cant handle being dissapointed like last season. Im going in fully expecting nothing better than Nick Young.

I'd be rather pleased with Nick Young... I don't see him leaving Washington. I think we'll wind up seeing Butler play SG for the Bulls.

Or, in cream dream world, the Bulls are talking to Butler forseeing an open SF spot on their roster because of Dwight, but Orlando would be nuts to trade Dwight prior to the season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:43 AM)
I'd be rather pleased with Nick Young... I don't see him leaving Washington. I think we'll wind up seeing Butler play SG for the Bulls.

Or, in cream dream world, the Bulls are talking to Butler forseeing an open SF spot on their roster because of Dwight, but Orlando would be nuts to trade Dwight prior to the season.

Looks like Butler met with the Clippers last night, and is meeting again with them today.

Hate to say it but after living in Chicago my whole life, and recently being out in the LA area, it's a no brainer for me with that weather out there. I also tend to assume most guys don't really care much about winning these days......

I used to think that Bill Simmons knew what he was talking about, then I read the last two articles in his "12 Days of NBA Christmas" series.

Marc Gasol is a max player? Tyson Chandler is going to get $15 mil a year? Aaron Afflalo is worth $12.5 million a year? Either NBA GM's are brain-dead zombies and the lockout was pointless, or Bill is high. Both seem possible.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
I used to think that Bill Simmons knew what he was talking about, then I read the last two articles in his "12 Days of NBA Christmas" series.

Marc Gasol is a max player? Tyson Chandler is going to get $15 mil a year? Aaron Afflalo is worth $12.5 million a year? Either NBA GM's are brain-dead zombies and the lockout was pointless, or Bill is high. Both seem possible.

I briefly skimmed both but I am pretty sure Bill was trying to say that NBA GM's and owners specifically are idiots for having a lock-out and then throwing this kind of money around after the lockout trying to prevent that. He doesn't think they should earn that and is laughing at the owners for doing it. Then again I just skimmed them so I could be totally off.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
Looks like Butler met with the Clippers last night, and is meeting again with them today.

Hate to say it but after living in Chicago my whole life, and recently being out in the LA area, it's a no brainer for me with that weather out there. I also tend to assume most guys don't really care much about winning these days......

Never understood the weather argument. You're signing a 4 year deal for tens of millions of dollars and you can live wherever you want in the offseason. Who gives a s***, why would anyone on earth want to play for the Clippers?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)
Never understood the weather argument. You're signing a 4 year deal for tens of millions of dollars and you can live wherever you want in the offseason. Who gives a s***, why would anyone on earth want to play for the Clippers?

The season is in the winter. Sure, you are on the road half the time, but if you can have a swanky pad, at home, off the beach, vs... say off frozen Lake Michigan?

It's not much of a contest.

Now, Derrick Rose and the whole ADIDAS thing would be a matchup in heaven for Dwight, but methinks a baller who probably can't multiply doesn't really think on many levels other than party, money, paradise.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (kev211 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)
I briefly skimmed both but I am pretty sure Bill was trying to say that NBA GM's and owners specifically are idiots for having a lock-out and then throwing this kind of money around after the lockout trying to prevent that. He doesn't think they should earn that and is laughing at the owners for doing it. Then again I just skimmed them so I could be totally off.

That's partially it, but he also made numerous comments when he thought someone would be ridiculously overpaid and didn't on those guys. In fact, at the end of the article he had "properly paid" for Gasol.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)

I keep telling people he is not as smart as people think. In fact.. I can't stand him. Think the media/certain people overrate him.

Edited by SoxAce

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bulls-talk/...tm_medium=email

SCOTT KRINCH

Jamal Crawford started off his career with the Bulls, acquired in a draft-day trade with the Cleveland Cavaliers back in 2000. It looks like Crawford may be headed back to where it all began.

It's been no secret that the Bulls are exploring all avenues in search for an upgrade at shooting guard. The latest rumor involves the Bulls and Hawks working on a sign-and-trade deal for Crawford, as HoopsWorld's Steve Kyler tweets:

@stevekylerNBA

Steve Kyler Jamal Crawford is likely headed to Chicago in a sign and trade built around Ronnie Brewer.. if Atlanta backs away New Orleans in driver seat

If true, Crawford would be a vast improvement over Keith Bogans in the Bulls starting lineup. He won the 2010 Sixth Man of the Year award for Atlanta and averaged 14.2 PPG off the bench in 76 games.

A couple of things that Crawford brings to the table is his ability to create his own shot and he's capable of knocking down a few three pointers a game. Those are both two key areas that the Bulls struggled at least season from the two-guard position.

Even though Kyler believes this is a likely scenario, one Chicago writer doesn't see it as a definite possibility.

@McGrawDHBulls

Mike McGraw If Hawks really are chasing McGrady, they must be done with Jamal Crawford. Rumor has Hornets interested. Bulls may get involved.

Regardless of the validity of these reports it's still encouraging to see Gar Foreman and John Paxson making an effort to improve a weakness.

Free agents are allowed to sign with teams beginning on Friday, Dec. 9. Expect a ton of rumors and more players linked to the Bulls in the coming days.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:30 AM)
I keep telling people he is not as smart as people think. In fact.. I can't stand him. Think the media/certain people overrate him.

My opinion on him has changed recently. When he really puts the time and effort into something, it's great (see "The Book of Basketball"). Since Grantland has rolled around, he's been churning out hot garbage. When the site first launched they needed content, so his article quality suffered. Now with this "12 Days of NBA Christmas", he's again just churning out trash and throwing numbers out there and contradicting himself time and time again.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:50 AM)

I don't think it's solely the weather, but the fact that those nice-weather cities are going to tend to have more entertainment/nightlife/things to do because they're tourism locations. If I'm a rich young NBA star who wants to party, places like Miami and LA are more appealing than Minneapolis and Philly.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:30 AM)

He reminds me a lot of Seth McFarlane. Both guys have brilliant humor. But when pushed for sheer volume or pushed outside their "box", their content really suffers. When Simmons researches his article and has time to publish, he puts out some fantastic pieces. Grantland, like the Cleveland Show, is too much. ESPN is viewed in the same light to me. They used to be the most amazing thing ever, but now that they focus on the social side more than sports, it's unbelievably frustrating.

You have to know when to stick to what you are good at. Anyways, just something that runs through my head.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
I think you guys are underestimating how much Marc Gasol will make. There just are not very many centers worth a s*** right now.

There have never been enough centers to go around to make everyone in the league happy. That doesn't mean throwing a truckload of money at a guy that isn't better than a #3 on a contender (Strangely enough, Simmons says that in the same article while concluding that he's worth a max deal. huh?) is the right answer.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
There have never been enough centers to go around to make everyone in the league happy. That doesn't mean throwing a truckload of money at a guy that isn't better than a #3 on a contender (Strangely enough, Simmons says that in the same article while concluding that he's worth a max deal. huh?) is the right answer.

It's never been the right answer, but it goes to show the league isn't far from the one that just paid joe johnson a max. I'd put gasol at more worthy of a max than JJ.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
It's never been the right answer, but it goes to show the league isn't far from the one that just paid joe johnson a max. I'd put gasol at more worthy of a max than JJ.

Meh, Joe Johnson is probably a #2 on a contender, though he's coming off a pretty bad year. The bigger problem with him is it was his second contract, so his "max" is more like $20 million a year than $15 million.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
Meh, Joe Johnson is probably a #2 on a contender, though he's coming off a pretty bad year. The bigger problem with him is it was his second contract, so his "max" is more like $20 million a year than $15 million.

I disagree. There are so many more players that can get you Joe Johnson production than can get you Gasol production.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
I disagree. There are so many more players that can get you Joe Johnson production than can get you Gasol production.

I think you're overrating Gasol a fair amount. He averaged 12 points and 7 rebounds last year with solid but not spectacular defense. Since when is 12-7 worth a max contract? There aren't THAT few quality big men out there that his contributions are more rare than a player that can shoot, score 20 points a game, and distribute the ball with reasonable efficiency.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)
I think you're overrating Gasol a fair amount. He averaged 12 points and 7 rebounds last year with solid but not spectacular defense. Since when is 12-7 worth a max contract? There aren't THAT few quality big men out there that his contributions are more rare than a player that can shoot, score 20 points a game, and distribute the ball with reasonable efficiency.

He's also a very good passer, is only 26, with a good injury history and has gotten better every year.