NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
I'm not terribly afraid of Shane Battier in Miami. He's a good but not great shooter with no other offensive skills and is strictly a small forward. They already had Mike Miller as a backup wing player too whenever he gets healthy. I guess that means Wade is the PG, Miller at the 2 and Battier as a backup SF/fill-in for when Lebron plays the 4?

They'll have to get a bit more creative with their lineups to use him a lot considering they have few PG options and no legitimate centers. I'd have been a lot more worried if they picked up a solid option at one of those positions.

I would like to know what you think of the Bulls getting Crawford. I know he has his pros and cons, and I have my mixed reviews on it (more pro after thinking of it, especially the the options out there), but would like to pick your b-ball knowledge a bit on this potential move.

Battier signed for the minimum? I'd be more scared if the Heat added more legit PF/C depth...but to be honest, Battier is a championship team type player. He's a fantastic defender on the perimeter on a team of fantastic perimeter defenders. And in the east...is there any PF/C you really need to worry about? Amare and Howard...but those teams are just not that worrisome to the heat, i'd imagine.

Sigh. This sucks.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
Battier signed for the minimum? I'd be more scared if the Heat added more legit PF/C depth...but to be honest, Battier is a championship team type player. He's a fantastic defender on the perimeter on a team of fantastic perimeter defenders. And in the east...is there any PF/C you really need to worry about? Amare and Howard...but those teams are just not that worrisome to the heat, i'd imagine.

Sigh. This sucks.

Heat really want Dalembert, but he's seemingly out of the 5M price range. If Curry and Dexter Pittman can stay out of the buffet's, they should provide fouls down low.

Just saw Tyson Chandler was offered a 4 year deal worth 15M per. God this league is still retarded.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
Miami should still have their MLE to use. All these minimum additions are of no worry to the Bulls.

Did they only use the minimum on Battier? I haven't seen terms of the agreement anywhere. If they can still use their MLE on filling a bigger need, that'd make it look a lot better, but I got the impression that Shane was in demand.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
Did they only use the minimum on Battier? I haven't seen terms of the agreement anywhere. If they can still use their MLE on filling a bigger need, that'd make it look a lot better, but I got the impression that Shane was in demand.

Apparently players seem to throw the want to make money out the window to play in Miami, but rarely anywhere else.

Pat Riley.

Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard

Multiple sources confirm @KBergCBS report that NYK making strong run at Ty Chandler..would have to amnesty Billups

This would be a nightmare. The Knicks would basically hand the Heat Billups... their new PG and a gunner from 3 point range.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 06:58 PM)

Multiple sources confirm @KBergCBS report that NYK making strong run at Ty Chandler..would have to amnesty Billups

This would be a nightmare. The Knicks would basically hand the Heat Billups... their new PG and a gunner from 3 point range.

kill me.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
I would like to know what you think of the Bulls getting Crawford. I know he has his pros and cons, and I have my mixed reviews on it (more pro after thinking of it, especially the the options out there), but would like to pick your b-ball knowledge a bit on this potential move.

As you said, mixed bag. In theory, I think he makes some sense. He can play the 1 or 2 and create his shot a bit, so he gives you some scoring punch and you could rest Rose a bit more during the season. However, you're frequently going to hate the shot he creates and he generally wants the ball in his hands (55-60 percent of his FG's are unassisted. For comparison, Rose is at 65-70%). He's also generally been mediocre from outside, but he's had his moments.

I'd probably take him for the MLE since the options don't look stellar, but I don't like the idea of trading Brewer for him since I'd strongly prefer to do kind of an offense/defense platoon with those two. Ideally you'd get someone closer to 40% from outside that can play both on the ball and off the ball, but those kind of guys are hard to find with the MLE. I think Jason Richardson would probably be the best fit, but don't think they could get him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
kill me.

Agreed. That would be very, very bad as it would help solve the Knicks' biggest issue (assuming Tyson stays healthy) and the Heat would get pretty much the best possible PG for them.

Here's one potentially saving grace though: Billups would not be an out-right free agent. He would have to go through every team that's under the cap first as an amnesty player. You'd only need one team under it to be willing to absorb part of his contract.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:36 PM)

Don't think NYK out of CP3 Hunt if it gets Ty Chandler. Ty & CP r close friends. Most likely, Amare would hit trade market.

honestly can say i didn't see that coming.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)

Sigh. This sucks.

Right. I don't think it's so much the defense of other legit PF/C as much as it is the rebounding/interior. The Bulls were in the series against the Heat largely due to them being a vastly superior team on the boards and at interior defense. It also creates a problem with Wade and James getting to the hoop when Asik and Noah basically have no one to worry about. I would be very worried if the Heat got a legit C because it would take away the main and exploitable advantage the Bulls have over the Heat. A 33 year old Shane Battier? Not so much.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:50 PM)
Right. I don't think it's so much the defense of other legit PF/C as much as it is the rebounding/interior. The Bulls were in the series against the Heat largely due to them being a vastly superior team on the boards and at interior defense. It also creates a problem with Wade and James getting to the hoop when Asik and Noah basically have no one to worry about. I would be very worried if the Heat got a legit C because it would take away the main and exploitable advantage the Bulls have over the Heat. A 33 year old Shane Battier? Not so much.

We weren't in the series, we lost 4-1. Haslem completely stabilized their big problem.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
We weren't in the series, we lost 4-1. Haslem completely stabilized their big problem.

That and their overall length and athleticism overwhelmed the Bulls. Battier just adds to that, even at his age. He's still a great defender and knocks down the 3 at a 39% career clip. Like Zoom said, Spoelstra, or however you spell it, will have to get creative at times. But this definitely strengthens them.