NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 05:30 PM)
@christomasson: One agent I spoke to really does believe that a package involving Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard is coming.

No way the Lakers go with just Bynum and no PF. Something else is going to happen.

A package of what? This is going to be a pathetic haul for Howard, if true.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
Paul to the Lakers? Well there's your west champ. Howard is going to LA. We all know it. Hooray for the impact the new CBA has had on competitive balance.

This is even more unsettling than Miami last year, because apparently it will never end AND the Bulls will never be the team with the balls.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
Paul to the Lakers? Well there's your west champ. Howard is going to LA. We all know it. Hooray for the impact the new CBA has had on competitive balance.

If the Lakers don't get Dwight, I don't think this deal makes them better. Paul and Odom are good players, Gasol being an above average player. Hell, through the first quarter of last years season you could make an argument that Gasol was playing an MVP level. This is also retarded for New Orleans. They don't get anything very special in the deal (Scola is solid and Martin is meh) but unless there is a bunch of financial rammifications that I"m not aware of (and I'm sure I am) on Paper the trade is awful for New Orleans.

Lakers have zero front court once Bynum has his annual injury and I don't know how much better Paul makes a guy like Kobe who can create his own shot all day anyway. I'm curious to see what the Lakers are going to do at the 4 and I'm also curious to know who there backup bigs will be cause right now they have absolute garbage there after this trade.

If you get Howard than I understand. You've built up a new young core in Howard/Paul and have Kobe for another couple years and will just build via mid-level exceptions, etc.

If the Hornets are getting Kevin Martin, I wonder if it's a possibility for the Bulls to trade for him. The Bulls would have to dump a decent amount of salary to absorb Martin's $12 million. That would mean one of Brewer or Korver (or maybe both) + Asik + Charlotte pick at the least. And that's assuming the Hornets would want to dump Martin...

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
Paul adds another 3 years of elite play to Kobe's career. Unlike Wade/LeBron, Kobe's actually good at moving without the ball and is a much better shooter than both.

Kobe is an excellent shooter. I'd say he's a much better long range shooter than Michael ever was.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
@christomasson: One agent I spoke to really does believe that a package involving Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard is coming.

No way the Lakers go with just Bynum and no PF. Something else is going to happen.

They will take Turk and use him as a 4.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
At this point it's a foregone conclusion. The Lakers don't swing and miss.

How the hell will they get Dwight? They have nothing to trade except Bynum. The only real chance they have at Howard is signing him next off-season.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
If the Hornets are getting Kevin Martin, I wonder if it's a possibility for the Bulls to trade for him. The Bulls would have to dump a decent amount of salary to absorb Martin's $12 million. That would mean one of Brewer or Korver (or maybe both) + Asik + Charlotte pick at the least. And that's assuming the Hornets would want to dump Martin...

The Bulls don't make the necessary moves to win. Don't bother.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
This is even more unsettling than Miami last year, because apparently it will never end AND the Bulls will never be the team with the balls.

All these moves are being dictated by the players. That's the b****iest thing. Front offices are rendered useless. DRose has no pull. That's blatantly evident.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
How the hell will they get Dwight? They have nothing to trade except Bynum. The only real chance they have at Howard is signing him next off-season.

If not Howard, then Okafor or something has to be coming back from the Hornets. I doubt Derrick Caracter will be their new starting 4.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
If not Howard, then Okafor or something has to be coming back from the Hornets. I doubt Derrick Caracter will be their new starting 4.

Probably. The salaries don't match at this point. Maybe Ariza will go back to LA if it's not Okafor.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)

They will never be able to do that (unless it is in a sign-and-trade). Lakers are way over the cap. They could trade Bynum, an ending contract, plus cash for Howard and Turk. I would never do that deal if I were the Magic (I'd rather get Lopez, Eric Gordon, or Joakim Noah), but I'm not the Magic.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
They will never be able to do that (unless it is in a sign-and-trade). Lakers are way over the cap. They could trade Bynum, an ending contract, plus cash for Howard and Turk. I would never do that deal if I were the Magic (I'd rather get Lopez, Eric Gordon, or Joakim Noah), but I'm not the Magic.

Definitely. Though that is all thrown out the window if Dwight won't sign an extension if traded to the Nets, Clips, or Bulls. If Howard is traded to the Lakers for Bynum and trash, that's exactly what happened. Those teams without a doubt can offer better.