NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:08 AM)
On what grounds, i can make up a million but my guess is something like:

Hornets are owned by NBA as such the deal was "preliminary" and not "official" in that it had to be approved by XYZ. When presented to XYZ the deal was not approved and thus there never was any deal to kill.

I'm honestly shocked though. The lakers are one of the teams that will share revenue with all the others, I'm shocked stern would screw them over. Pleased, but shocked.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
Also the NBA has to try and retain the value of the Hornets franchise for when they want to sell it. They cant just trade everyone for nothing. Its surprising they are entertaining any trade offers when the team is not owned.

That also makes sense.

Fathom,

The NBA is the crappy owner here.

See the problem, if the Hornets lose everyone really has lost. Thats why its very odd that Hornets are even involved in any trade discussions. The #1 priority for the NBA should be to find a new owner for Hornets and let the new owner do what he wants.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
Personally, I think it's bogus for the NBA to veto this deal if it's for competitive balance reasons. This shouldn't be fantasy sports where you have to oversee crappy owners.

the problem is there is no crappy owner here and the deal is shady

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 03:15 AM)
Fathom,

The NBA is the crappy owner here.

See the problem, if the Hornets lose everyone really has lost. Thats why its very odd that Hornets are even involved in any trade discussions. The #1 priority for the NBA should be to find a new owner for Hornets and let the new owner do what he wants.

Thing is, aren't the Hornets better off by adding three above average players in Scola/Odom/Martin? I doubt Paul's body will hold up during this 66 game sprint.

Personally, I think it's bogus for the NBA to veto this deal if it's for competitive balance reasons. This shouldn't be fantasy sports where you have to oversee crappy owners.

the problem is there is no crappy owner here and the deal is shady

Normally, I wouldn't be whining like I am. But we lost damn near two months of hoops for s*** the lockout was supposed to address.

Edited by Jordan4life

Fathom,

There is no way the Hornets are better off trading a young superstar for those guys. Paul is a superstar, if you want a new owner you are going to have to move Paul for another superstar that you can sell to the new owner to build the franchise around.

If I was thinking of buying the Hornets, Id want to at least try and resign Paul and sell him on the idea that Im going to make the Hornets great.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
Thing is, aren't the Hornets better off by adding three above average players in Scola/Odom/Martin? I doubt Paul's body will hold up during this 66 game sprint.

Chris Paul is arguably the best PG in the game, 26, and in his prime. Two role players and a dime a dozen SG is bad (though I like Martin).

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:17 AM)

And Paul was going to leave after this season anyway. 3 solid starters in exchange for 1 season of Paul? I don't think the Hornets are getting robbed here.