NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
Well if all 3 go to Miami then it wont matter who we get and I wont care because the NBA will be dead to me for the next 5-10 years.

I do agree with the other posts that say this won't effect their decision but I agree with you 100%. All 3 of those guys in Miami have to make Stern and the NBA execs cringe, it could create a super team that actually hurts the sports growth in other cities.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
I do agree with the other posts that say this won't effect their decision but I agree with you 100%. All 3 of those guys in Miami have to make Stern and the NBA execs cringe, it could create a super team that actually hurts the sports growth in other cities.

People keep saying this and I just don't get it.

The Lakers with Kobe, Artest, and all the post depth would give the Heat major problems. The Thunder and Blazers are going to have a ridiculous amount of talent the next few years as well.

Having Jordan and the Bulls dominate the league, or the Celtics and Lakers dominate the league certainly wasn't a bad thing for the NBA's ratings.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers take a serious step back any of these coming years, nor would I be surprised if they kept it going. Between possibly losing Phil, Kobe seemingly having less and less in the tank every year, and Bynum's legs starting to go all Greg Oden on them, they could use an upgrade soon.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:57 AM)
Who wants to start a legacy with the Miami Heat? Seriously, the Miami Heat? That is going to be LeBron's Legacy? The same team that retired Michael Jordan's jersey number before any player of their own? If he goes there with Bosh and Wade it will be ridiculously lame. That isn't coming from a scorned Bulls fan, its coming from someone who wouldn't want to watch the NBA become a bigger circus than it already is.

Hopefully the chance to put Chicago up with the Celtics and Lakers in NBA history is more appealing to him.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
People keep saying this and I just don't get it.

The Lakers with Kobe, Artest, and all the post depth would give the Heat major problems. The Thunder and Blazers are going to have a ridiculous amount of talent the next few years as well.

Having Jordan and the Bulls dominate the league, or the Celtics and Lakers dominate the league certainly wasn't a bad thing for the NBA's ratings.

You are talking about one major market in that scenario, back when the Bulls were dominating they battled the Lakers in the first one and the NYKs during the playoffs of the other ones. This scenario eliminates the Bulls, Celtics, Nets, Knicks, Philly, and the Texas teams, all big markets, for years from being relevant. The finals are one thing but those Thursday night TBS games would do far better ratings and ad revenue with the Bulls/Heat than Oklahoma/Heat.

Also, it's a different culture we live in since the last Bulls run over 10 years ago, even though it's a short time there is such a greater battle for the eyes of the casual fans, I would think Stern wants as many major markets involved as possible.

I'm not saying it's a doomsday scenario for the NBA and they would still do well, but just guessing I would imagine the NBA would prefer if LBJ and Wade were separate.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers take a serious step back any of these coming years, nor would I be surprised if they kept it going. Between possibly losing Phil, Kobe seemingly having less and less in the tank every year, and Bynum's legs starting to go all Greg Oden on them, they could use an upgrade soon.

A lot of NBA people have said this, a lot of people like to point to Kobe's age, but forget how many games he's played at a high level since he was 19. They are and will be good, but I don't think they're going to steamroll the west for the next 2-3 years

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
closest would be the first year Shaq went to LA, would have to think back about top 5, but he was still an elite player then

Alright, here's another way to phrase this. When's the last time a team had three, THREE top 10 players?

Because I'd definitely consider Bosh a top 10 player.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
Alright, here's another way to phrase this. When's the last time a team had three, THREE top 10 players?

that's a lot tougher, might have to go back to before the NBA expanded

I find it absolutely comical that the same people who are gung-ho for LeBron and Bosh coming to Chicago to play with Noah and Rose have huge issues with them going to Miami and altering the NBA landscape. Just because we're Chicago that doesn't gives us more right to the dynasty that would come from those two joining a Wade or a Rose.

That being said, LeBron isn't signing in Miami.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
I find it absolutely comical that the same people who are gung-ho for LeBron and Bosh coming to Chicago to play with Noah have huge issues with them going to Miami and altering the NBA landscape. Just because we're Chicago that doesn't gives us more right to the dynasty that would come from those two joining a Wade or a Rose.

Between the maintenance of some sort of a rivalry between teams (Lebron and Wade on different teams in the East) and not having an honestly small market dominating the sport for 10 years, I think there's lots of reasons why all 3 of them going to Miami would be a bad thing for the league. I'm not sure that a Chicago dynasty with no rivals would be a great thing either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 05:24 AM)
The article said they met over the weekend in Miami. Wade was in Chicago this past weekend and is now, according to the Miami Herald, on vacation in a private spot. I think its all BS like 99% of the stuff that's come out.

LBJ was partying in New York.

I want to say that I don't believe LBJ would go to Miami. A, I don't see the agents being ok with them taking less money (it means they get less money). B, I don't see them all agreeing to the same $ value. I don't see it.

C)

What is better if you were going to leave. Getting more money from Chicago (both Bosh & LBJ) than Miami and the fact that Rose/Noah/Deng/Gibson/Johnson > Wade/Chalmers/Beasley (who'd probably get moved anyway).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
I find it absolutely comical that the same people who are gung-ho for LeBron and Bosh coming to Chicago to play with Noah and Rose have huge issues with them going to Miami and altering the NBA landscape. Just because we're Chicago that doesn't gives us more right to the dynasty that would come from those two joining a Wade or a Rose.

That being said, LeBron isn't signing in Miami.

I was trying to look at it from the position of the NBA front office, it would make a ton more sense for them to not have Miami dominate the sport for the next 5 years.

I know they're all awesome individual players, but I'm not ready to concede that the Heat would be some mega monster with Wade, LBJ, and Bosh. I'm not convinced they'd make a great TEAM. Wade and LBJ are way too similar. One of them would need to take a step back and become the other's running mate.

I'd feel comfortable with a Bulls team of Rose, Johnson, Deng, Boozer, and Noah with extra cap space to maybe sign Allen (w/ Deng/Gibson on the bench, or no Deng at all which opens up a couple more solid additions).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 07:28 AM)
The Sun Sentinel doesn't know how Bird rights work if they believe that. If all 3 wanted to play for the Heat, they could make it work, you just have to do the contracts correctly.

Nope. Bird Rights won't work that way. You can't be under the cap and utilize bird rights to your advantage, I believe. So they can't just use all of Wade's space on those guys and wait.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
Nope. Bird Rights won't work that way. You can't be under the cap and utilize bird rights to your advantage, I believe. So they can't just use all of Wade's space on those guys and wait.

How does the luxury tax work? Even if they can use Wade's Bird rights wouldn't all 3 of them and 9 other players put them way over that?

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
I know they're all awesome individual players, but I'm not ready to concede that the Heat would be some mega monster with Wade, LBJ, and Bosh. I'm not convinced they'd make a great TEAM. Wade and LBJ are way too similar. One of them would need to take a step back and become the other's running mate.

I'd feel comfortable with a Bulls team of Rose, Johnson, Deng, Boozer, and Noah with extra cap space to maybe sign Allen (w/ Deng/Gibson on the bench, or no Deng at all which opens up a couple more solid additions).

I sure as hell wouldn't and I think a lot of us would be extremely disappointed and pissed off.

At the least, we need to get Bosh.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)

Closest I can think of is Lakers with Magic, Kareem, and James Worthy in 85-87.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
How does the luxury tax work? Even if they can use Wade's Bird rights wouldn't all 3 of them and 9 other players put them way over that?

I assume they'll be in a luxury tax position, but probably not horrifically because they won't be all that over the cap.

Ok, here are some what if's:

What if LBJ stays in Cleveland (probably most likely):

What if LBJ goes to Miami (I think least likely):

My thoughts:

If LBJ stays in Cleveland, Bulls go hard for Joe Johnson and Bosh, but would be ok with Johnson/Amare; Miami goes hard for Bosh, but also would be ok with Amare (not sure who else they'd go after, my guess is Rudy Gay)

If LBJ goes to Miami; Bulls will probably go after Joe Johnson and Amare, but one of those guys might have reached an initial agreement with the Knicks by that point in time (who knows).

In the above, I'm ok with the end-result if LBJ stays in Cleveland, not so much if he ends up in Miami. That really is the disaster scenario. Clearly the best is if he goes to Chicago, but I think if he stays in Cleveland and we get the scenario of Johnson/Bosh we'd still be in pretty darn good shape.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
I sure as hell wouldn't and I think a lot of us would be extremely disappointed and pissed off.

At the least, we need to get Bosh.

I didn't say happy or satisfied, but I think that team could win the east.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
My thoughts:

If LBJ stays in Cleveland, Bulls go hard for Joe Johnson and Bosh, but would be ok with Johnson/Amare; Miami goes hard for Bosh, but also would be ok with Amare (not sure who else they'd go after, my guess is Rudy Gay)

If LBJ goes to Miami; Bulls will probably go after Joe Johnson and Amare, but one of those guys might have reached an initial agreement with the Knicks by that point in time (who knows).

I would not be ok with Joe Johnson and Amare at near-max deals.

I think when I look at them that they are the 2 likeliest candidates from this list to wind up as some sort of "Bust" either overpaid for their performance or going down with injuries for a decent portion of the deal, and if you can't land the king, then either of those guys not playing at max deal level means that the Bulls are in luxury tax, 4 seed Hell for the duration of their contracts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
I would not be ok with Joe Johnson and Amare at near-max deals.

I think when I look at them that they are the 2 likeliest candidates from this list to wind up as some sort of "Bust" either overpaid for their performance or going down with injuries for a decent portion of the deal, and if you can't land the king, then either of those guys not playing at max deal level means that the Bulls are in luxury tax, 4 seed Hell for the duration of their contracts.

I believe I heard/read that the Bulls have no interest in Amare and prefer Boozer. But at least with Boozer he won't get a max deal (~$10-11 mil is what I read).

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
I didn't say happy or satisfied, but I think that team could win the east.

I don't know about winning the east, especially if LeBron and Bosh go to Miami.

But that's at least a 55 win team if Boozer is healthy.

Edited by chw42